Arya8 October 20th, 2013 2:14am

Do you take any medication for a mental health issue? (Including anxiety, depression, etc.)

dlinz001
10/20/13 8:55 am

Anyone else see a problem with a quarter of the people on pills?

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/20/13 11:11 am

A problem with people getting the help they need? Ever see a problem with people going to the doc to get antibiotics? Mental health is just as important. I do see a problem with jerks shaming people for taking care if themselves.

dlinz001
10/20/13 11:40 am

No but maybe we should focus on why your mind isn't well instead of taking pills to suppress the problem

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/20/13 11:53 am

Clearly you have no understanding on the subject. It's part of the treatment process. Please don't say things like that. It comes off as incredibly insensitive. Forgive me for being overly defensive. Touchy subject.

10/20/13 11:54 am

Dlinz, I stated below that my issues are genetic. Rhe has disclosed the same. Many people have mental illness or mood disorders in their families. These are issues that can't necessarily be resolved without meds. For those who took meds to aid in...

10/20/13 11:55 am

...helping them thru a hard time or situation, those times do often pass. But mental health is a very personal thing. If you've never felt the way that some here have (which led them to seek help), I don't think you can possibly understand that.

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/20/13 12:05 pm

I'll use myself as an example. My depression was the result of external causes. Lots of little things and a few big events sent me into depression. All of those things were outside my control, like for instance my parents' divorce. Emotionally...

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/20/13 12:09 pm

I was unable to cope. Seeing a counselor wasn't enough by itself, my brain stopped working like it should. Eventually I got prescribed meds and they helped kickstart my brain back into functioning properly and then I was able to make some progress...

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/20/13 12:13 pm

...on processing everything that had happened in a healthy way. It took a lot of work, and taking meds sucked. Some of the side effects were hallucinations and my best friends treated me like a child and like I was crazy and stopped trusting me...

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/20/13 12:24 pm

...so for a lot of cases like mine, it's not possible to resolve without the meds. It's part of treatment. Doctors have been studying this and working on better treatments for a long time. It's not a simple question of "instead of pills".

10/20/13 12:26 pm

Scrazzle, thanks for saying that. It's nice to hear from someone who has had the same issues, but from a different cause and perspective.

10/20/13 1:13 pm

I <3 you guys.

If I asked a question about physical health, would it be a problem if 25% took prescription meds for a physical issue?

DavesNotHere where am I
10/20/13 4:48 pm

My mind (brain) has a chemical imbalance. The meds I take balance it. Any questions?

jvc1133 61535
10/21/13 12:01 pm

No for me questionable for everyone else

glashberg Wave when you flyover
10/22/13 8:40 pm

I've been battling suicidal thoughts since I was 12. I'm overall a pretty happy person and I recognize that I have a good life, overall. Doesn't stop me from falling into a pit of despair and self hatred every few weeks.

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/19/13 11:51 pm

Not anymore, took citalopram and bupropion for a while. Lots of side effects but they made it easier to keep my thoughts out of the really dark places. Glad I did, but don't need them anymore.

10/20/13 7:33 am

That's good to hear!

wendit Chicago
10/19/13 11:41 pm

I started taking Zoloft for PMDD, but it made such an amazing improvement in my life that my doctor put me on it daily. Wonderful drug, I can honestly say that it changed my life 1000% for the better.

jmz1202 Sacramento
10/19/13 10:03 pm

Yes. I've taken Zoloft for years.

musicfreak Loving Life
10/19/13 9:54 pm

Yes, both anxiety and depression.

musicfreak Loving Life
10/19/13 9:55 pm

I have for a few years. I believe when I turned 13 was when I started.

musicfreak Loving Life
10/19/13 9:56 pm

My dose is 4 times the amount as when I started though. I started low though.

tdaddy Kentucky
10/19/13 9:33 pm

Big question now in view of this poll, are the top earners the folks with the most mental health problems, or are they just the ones that can most easily get diagnosed and most able to afford the prescriptions?

10/19/13 9:48 pm

I believe top earners have a tendency to take on more responsibilities (in general). That may be part of it. But they definitely have better access to healthcare and means of paying for that access

10/20/13 7:33 am

I think it's both. I'm in the low bracket because I'm in school now but once I'm done, I hope we will be in the higher brackets. I'm a perfectionist and very driven. Those people tend to be successful in careers - but have high anxiety.

10/20/13 7:40 am

Agreed, Rhe. Everyone starts somewhere - top earners have to get there thru training and school. But those people start with ambition and drive. Didn't mean to sound exclusionary!

10/20/13 7:44 am

No worries. I knew what you meant. :)

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/19/13 9:11 pm

Addicted to love. Great habit to have. Hi my name is DocTalk and I am an addict

icytoes the tepid north
10/19/13 10:26 pm

Yeah it sucks. We're (me, hubby & doc) hoping it won't last more than 4-6 WEEKS :|

10/20/13 7:32 am

Good luck! I feel for you too. :(

tdaddy Kentucky
10/20/13 7:05 pm

I've tried coming off Prozac on my own but after a couple of months the panic attacks come back with more frequency and more ferocity than before, so I go back on the Prozac and inside of a few days I'm all better once again.

icytoes the tepid north
10/20/13 8:10 pm

I started taking it during a very rough phase of life - after much thought and discussion we decided to see if I still need it, but before I'll know I have to get over getting OFF of it.

10/19/13 8:19 pm

I do - 40 mg Fluoxetine (generic Prozac) for anxiety and depression. I'm not really anxious or depressed as much as I'm just a better version of myself when on the meds. It started the year I had my first son when I was having a tough time making...

10/19/13 8:21 pm

...the change from no kids to having kids and identifying who I was in all of that. I went on Celexa, then Wellbutrin, then something else. Hated them all, hated the side effects. Prozac is the ONLY med that works for me. I also take Vyvanse for ADD.

10/19/13 8:24 pm

I should add...my dad is a paranoid schizophrenic, and my mom has borderline personality disorder, clinical depression, general anxiety disorder, and is also what we usually term batsh*t crazy. So I'm prone to mood disorders :) Luckily mine is mild.

10/19/13 9:14 pm

Thanks for sharing. I have a lot of anxiety, depression, OCD in my family. My dad is bipolar. Over half of my immediate family members self medicate with excessive alcohol or drugs. I feel like I've handled it all well, but it's getting to be too

10/19/13 9:14 pm

much with my child and school on my plate. :(

tdaddy Kentucky
10/19/13 9:43 pm

I'm on 40mg too and so is my wife. She hates it when she goes into a rage and the first thing out of my mouth when she gets that way is, "You haven't been taking your Prozac, have you?" And *always* it's the same answer, "No." And she really flies

tdaddy Kentucky
10/19/13 9:43 pm

off the handle when I let her know that she only has tantrums when she's off her meds. They truly help.

10/19/13 9:43 pm

There's zero shame in taking drugs for mood disorders. When I was younger, I went thru so many times in my life where medication could have helped, but I refused to even talk to my doctor. I was always 'proud' of getting thru on my own, but now I...

10/19/13 9:46 pm

...realize that I made myself suffer unnecessarily. I'm not embarrassed to take my meds or talk about what I take anymore. It's genetic for me, and many others. If you go on something, Rhe, it doesn't have to be forever. Good luck :)

10/19/13 9:51 pm

Tdaddy, I can back up your thoughts 100%. Your wife has the same issue I do. I am an emotional person and am now teaching myself better ways to cope after a lifetime of blowing my fuse. Prozac is so helpful.

10/20/13 7:27 am

I'm exactly the same way, Tara. I've always been proud of not turning to medication. I'm a lot like my dad so I worry if I take it, that's acknowledging I could have something "wrong" with me too. I'm one of the few in my family who haven't turned

10/20/13 7:28 am

To any sort of drugs either. I do a lot to cope with it and honestly I can cope when I don't have a lot going on. During the summer I worked part time and took care of my 3 year old. I was fine. Now I work part time, college full time, and I'm not.

10/20/13 7:30 am

Having a child honestly made it a lot worse. She's very "difficult" (from birth - very fussy and had severe reflux) and I was a single mom for 2 years. Huge adjustment.

Anyway, thank you both for sharing. It's good to know others understand!

10/20/13 7:38 am

Rhe - definitely! I'm very similar. I also share your need to have everything be 'perfect' as well. I'm learning to let go and I know my anger issues are better than before, but I still need help. Prozac does that for me.

10/20/13 7:43 am

:) thank you!

megomez712 Vagabond
10/19/13 8:11 pm

I have but I don't anymore. Side effects and all...

10/19/13 9:12 pm

What side effects did you experience?

kbluebird Denial
10/19/13 7:59 pm

As your twin, I feel compelled to tell you that I take Zoloft for anxiety. I've been on some sort of antidepressant since I was 12. Zoloft gives me virtually no side effects, but I can definitely see the benefits for me.

kbluebird Denial
10/19/13 8:00 pm

I am on the lowest dose and can miss a couple of days with no effects. When I'm not on it, I'm tense, moody, and prone to panic attacks.

10/19/13 9:11 pm

Thanks. I'm constantly tense, stressed, panicky, anxious, etc. I hope I can find something to help. After feeling this way most of my life, I don't think I can handle it anymore alone. :/

techkak north coast
10/19/13 7:38 pm

I do for depression been on the same medication for several years now.

susanr Colorado
10/19/13 7:32 pm

Not currently, but I have during two periods in the past.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/19/13 7:23 pm

Used to smoke MJ, but the Mrs. actually wanted me to be here. No better drug than she. But when I do relapse, I spend a week reading incessantly till 4am or so.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/19/13 7:20 pm

Absolutely - saved my life - and change it for the better

10/19/13 7:18 pm

I don't. But I probably should.

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/19/13 7:16 pm

I have in the past, the side effects plus the "withdrawal" like symptoms if you miss a day or two are not worth it.

10/19/13 7:18 pm

What did you take it for? And what medication, if you don't mind me asking. My anxiety is getting so bad I'm really contemplating getting some help.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/19/13 7:19 pm

Even with severe depression, I agree. Everything my doctor and I have tried either made things worse or MUCH worse. It varied from day to day. Still trying new ones...

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/19/13 7:27 pm

I took it for anxiety as well. I was on Zoloft, Celexa, and Pristiq. It's different for everybody, obviously, but I only noticed the downsides. And "coming down" from all of these wasn't very fun at all, I would definitely take a doctors advice...

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/19/13 7:28 pm

...over mine though. You'll never know unless you try. If you don't like one, it's as easy as calling your doctor and switch to another. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

10/19/13 7:34 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to go see my doctor Monday. I juggle so much and I'm a perfectionist to the extreme. It's getting the better of me.

Sorry to hear that MrL. My dad is bipolar and takes a cocktail of meds. I've avoided it due

10/19/13 7:35 pm

to watching his reactions to the meds. But after multiple panic attacks lately, I'm not sure I can avoid it anymore. :/