wookiecookie
10/20/13 1:05 am

Somehow I ended up reading Ender's Shadow first, just have a few chapters left. Decent book.

beanD California
10/19/13 10:27 pm

Yes yes yes yes!! Counting down for the movie. *squeals* Ender's Game is one of the only things I let myself be a total fangirl about.

GeneralDevin MN
10/19/13 7:20 pm

What was the other book called again? It was from the viewpoint of the orphan genius.

GeneralDevin MN
10/19/13 7:21 pm

Same storyline different viewpoint of character.

GeneralDevin MN
10/19/13 7:21 pm

I would describe him more but I don't want to reveal spoilers for anyone .

moonshot More often I know nothing
10/19/13 7:43 pm

Ender's Shadow is the book to which you are referring. It was written in 1999. Speaker for the Dead was actually written first, but published later. Card decided that Ender's Game needed to be written before Speaker could be released.

GeneralDevin MN
10/19/13 8:49 pm

Thx. I'm assuming you 're going to watch the movie moonshot

susanr Colorado
10/19/13 7:12 pm

I haven't... yet. I think I've read only one short story by him. I also have a one-hour audiobook, "Mazer in Prison," that I haven't listened to yet. I imagine I'll get around to him at some point.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/19/13 7:00 pm

Yes, I loved the final "simulation" ;)

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/19/13 6:59 pm

Read it years ago. Ending through me for a loop.

Skarface Banned
10/19/13 6:55 pm

Wasn't that written by a raging homophobe or something? That's not the kind of person that I like to give my money to.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/19/13 6:59 pm

(By the way that's my biggest argument for allowing businesses to discriminate)

moonshot More often I know nothing
10/19/13 7:05 pm

Then go buy a used copy. The book was written 36 years ago. The author is very much a Mormon, and has very conservative view of things. He is a great, great grandson of Brigham Young. The book is amazing. Screw the politics of the author!

susanr Colorado
10/19/13 7:11 pm

There is some recent uproar about him, yes. That alone wouldn't stop me from reading an author's work. If the work reflected a genuine dislike or disgust for any particular group (not just a character's beliefs, but clearly the author's), though...

susanr Colorado
10/19/13 7:11 pm

..I probably wouldn't want to continue to read his stuff.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/19/13 7:18 pm

Hell part of me wants to read Mein Kampf just for the historical value

susanr Colorado
10/19/13 7:21 pm

Oh, absolutely, rebel. I was thinking of fiction in particular, although even there, there are some authors I might read in spite of some major issues like this. I guess I mean that I wouldn't be reading them for pleasure & escape.

Skarface Banned
10/19/13 7:21 pm

Rebel, I'm guessing that Hitler probably isn't making much money anymore from people buying Mein Kampf.

susanr Colorado
10/19/13 7:24 pm

Skarface - as moonshot says, there are used books... and also the library. Also borrowing from a friend who owns a copy; an option in some cases.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/19/13 7:28 pm

Well skar it's absolutely your choice to choose where your money goes and if that's important to you then by all means, in fact I respect that. I'm not sure if getting a copy from a library is acceptable to you but it's a fantastic story.

Skarface Banned
10/19/13 7:29 pm

Fair enough. I probably will end up reading it at some point.

moonshot More often I know nothing
10/19/13 7:36 pm

If its any consolation, he wrote the story when he was a young man, well before he was political at all. He was just an unknown author in Utah who wrote a really cool story. Lots of great authors were dicks in their personal lives.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/20/13 6:44 am

I totally get where he's coming from though. I refuse to shop at Wal Mart because I disagree with their business practices. Also if I found out an author was involved in something like dog fighting I'd never give them another nickel.