JustBob October 19th, 2013 11:39pm

Did you have any parenting advice that drastically changed once you started having kids, because you realized you were completely wrong? (No kids: do you think you will realize you were completely wrong on some issues?)

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
10/20/13 9:16 am

Never spanked any of my kids, you gotta talk and figure out what's going on, I think I have the best kids, because they were able to mess up, and learn, plus my kids could talk to me about anything, you gotta talk or else they'll listen to anyone.,

wego Utah
10/20/13 8:47 am

Before I had kids I thought I would never give them the cop-out "because I said so" answer. In real parenting life, that's an entirely appropriate answer after you've given a dozen perfectly valid and acceptable real reasons.

LilL44 Stuck In Suburbia
10/20/13 7:51 am

50/50 results heheh
but yes I think I will change my thoughts on parenting once I actually have kids...harder then it looks!

fixitlater My Life
10/20/13 7:26 am

Kids are a journey not a destination. We have always done the harder thing and made every possible sacrifice. Our kids are perfect, till my son got sick. Now we are really lucky because we get to spend years recovering....

fixitlater My Life
10/20/13 7:29 am

As opposed to him not making it or never recovering. The bottom line is LOVE your babies no matter what they do or how the do it or even how old they are. Someday they will grow up and see how great you were and do the same with their babies.

Mooo42Q Thats Nucking Futs
10/19/13 10:01 pm

Oh yeah! I thought I'd be good at the ferberizing thing, letting your baby cry it out.
I'm so glad I never did that. The kid was crying for a reason. He needed love and he got it!

twss trump is a garbage human
10/19/13 9:34 pm

I always kinda say back and judged the parents when their children behaved badly in public. Now, I am grateful that it's not just my littles that routinely throw tantrums, ask embarrassing questions, and whine when they don't get their way :)

dahawwl Texas
10/19/13 9:06 pm

I always said I would never tell my children "just do it because I said so". But, I got over that.

MrsLizT South Louisiana
10/19/13 7:37 pm

I didn't give advice, but I had a lot of ideas of what everyone else was doing wrong, in particular, smack that kid! & kids are mindless wonders. You know, you see them running around screaming like nuts...you draw conclusions.

I was an idiot.....

MrsLizT South Louisiana
10/19/13 7:37 pm

Since I have become a mom, I laugh at the way I once thought. I was so naive and foolish & had NO CLUE about children or parenting.

comppete Las Vegas
10/19/13 6:45 pm

No, but I received a lot of advice that was totally wrong. While raising our Daughters, I just did the opposite of what my mother did. My father's only fault was getting carried away with punishments. I swore to never do that.

Rosebud Ohio
10/19/13 6:28 pm

Not that I can think of. I've gotten plenty of "advice" from people without kids, kids with polar opposite personalities than mine, and my favorite, who never tried some of my parenting (or researched anything) methods yet they *know* I'm doing it wrong.

potatoes
10/19/13 6:14 pm

I feel like I'm beginning to understand a lot of parenting decisions I was subjected to, but if I ever actually do any of my own parenting I'll understand a lot more.

leilu SoCal
10/19/13 5:57 pm

I'm not sure yet, ask me again in a few years!!

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/19/13 5:41 pm

That happened to me the first time I had sole control of a classroom...

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/19/13 5:41 pm

All my preconceived ideas and notions... *woosh* gone.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/19/13 8:01 pm

I bet, teachers are awesome. I really respect the job you guys do

TierasPet
10/19/13 4:59 pm

I never gave any parenting advice before I had kids, and I didn't like most of the advice I got after I did have a child.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/19/13 5:04 pm

That's good of you, I had tons of advice, and what I thought was mean, and visions of my little ones acting like beaver cleaver, well things changed

TierasPet
10/19/13 5:25 pm

Yes, they do change. I was sure mine would never hit his terrible twos. He did and it went from there. All worth it though. :)

alynn Somewhere wonderful
10/19/13 4:55 pm

I've had people tell me I should have kids because I would be an awesome mother...I work with kids a lot. However, I think it all changes when they're your own and you can't just hand them back! :)

MisterE Conservistan
10/19/13 4:48 pm

I'm going to try to raise my kids using as little force possible, but I have no idea what the right amount is.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/19/13 4:40 pm

Me, I was the best parent ever, until I had kids, than I stopped having all the answers.

Arya8
10/19/13 7:38 pm

Me too.

"My child will never throw fits!" Bahahaha!