Show Of Hands July 3rd, 2012 12:00am

Would you enjoy being a public school teacher?

Annacht
07/11/12 10:56 am

That is what I'm going for. High school social studies

Annacht
07/11/12 10:56 am

That is what I'm going for. High school social studies

geobelker
07/11/12 9:14 am

@koolaid I'm in public school and it's pretty good. Don't make generalizations.

bbelle
07/09/12 9:01 pm

Looking for a job in Dallas area! Any takers. Certified with 11 yrs experience!

mathtchr
07/09/12 2:42 pm

Hmmm... So many media only informed people. Unions protect teachers from parents/ community members with individual agendas. Unions provide a structured process to weed out problems. They also provide a unified voice for those who just want to teach,not bargain, for their job!

07/09/12 1:02 pm

I wouldn't last 15 minutes. I would either have 30 cowering kids in my room, or 15 running out of the class, and the other 15 getting the crap beat out of them. God I miss the Corps sometimes.

nFavOfSecess Texas
07/09/12 11:49 am

Public education is a completely failed system and needs immediate dismantling.

07/08/12 7:29 pm

I would but it usually doesn't pay enough.

zyga
07/07/12 6:33 pm

Discipline is an issue with public schools. Kids did act out when I was in school because they didnt want the punishment...

geobelker
07/06/12 4:40 pm

Most of the teachers I've talked to about this agree with me by the way. And Portland is a hell of a liberal city too.

geobelker
07/06/12 4:39 pm

@adda I'm a democrat. Unions have caused me to have several HORRIBLE teachers who couldn't be fired because of seniority. Also many people's, including my, favorite teacher is like 35 and next on the chopping block yet I learn a TON from him. It's messed up.

adda Minnesota
07/06/12 3:49 pm

I am a PS teacher in MN, 20 years experience with an MAEd and make about $70,000. I don't understand all the anti-union sentiments. You guys listen to too many right-wingers. You're just parroting talking points. Tell me what the union does/did that you think is so awful.

Typpet
07/05/12 6:56 pm

I started out as a teacher in public high school. Damn teachers union drove me away from teaching.

kstodc
07/05/12 6:42 pm

I would make a horrible teacher, so no I would not enjoy teaching public (or private) school

sgeisler18 Illinois
07/05/12 6:18 pm

You would be paid more than if you worked at a private school.

I would rather work with kids one-on-one or in small groups, so public school is a no go.

lawstudent Western NC foothills
07/05/12 1:57 pm

I want to teach, but on the university level. Either law school or Master's students.

greenbean
07/05/12 12:31 pm

I'm actually thinking about pursuing this field of career

pateach2 love my son
07/05/12 10:15 am

@Stnk...thanks. I just took a screen shot and I'll make sure to show all of my students why it's important to get a great education.; otherwise, they'll turn out like you.

Nerdz Texas
07/05/12 12:10 am

Ugh. I'd hate to teach children like my class.

ntvtxn62
07/04/12 11:06 pm

As bad as it may be- the stories teachers tell of seeing students learn & my own experiences- would be glad too!

geobelker
07/04/12 7:58 pm

roblem. Educating should be the job for the highest skilled, most qualified people -- to prepare the next generation.

38041 Georgia
07/04/12 1:46 pm

@stnik It's a good thing we don't need your pity. Many teachers are very highly skilled, and our 12 weeks of "vacation" are unpaid. We get paid for 190 days a year because that is how many we work, not counting the evenings, weekends, and holidays we spend grading papers and making lessons.

jgf I have a few questions
07/04/12 10:31 am

I taught middle school in San Antonio, TX for 17 years. My highest pay( with lots of extra duties such as student council advisor, department head, etc. ) was 45,000. I quit in 2003. I hated the bureaucracy and incompetent administration. It is not a job for wimps... Unless you are an administrator.

3rdSide
07/04/12 10:06 am

My wife was a public HS teacher for a few years. Almost destroyed her psyche; her anger spilled over into our family life, so I forced her to quit. She's back to her happy self now even though we are poorer

07/04/12 9:51 am

I would HATE to torture kids

07/04/12 9:48 am

Private school is much better.

roybiker12
07/04/12 9:33 am

We have great, devoted teachers held back by a teachers union.

roybiker12
07/04/12 9:33 am

School choice & private schools are all over the inner city in areas that allow them. And they do a fine job.

StNik North Carolina
07/04/12 8:59 am

Nooo, because I'm not stupid. I can't stand people who teach and then butch about it. NEWSFLASH: you are a low-skilled, low paid, government employee. (Teachers also get like 12 weeks of vacation a year- I don't feel sorry for you.)

commonsense America isnt racist
07/04/12 8:21 am

No. I'm just not build for teaching communism. Lol

wirenerd Somersworth
07/04/12 6:18 am

So that is why I am continuing my schooling by going to college to become a PUBLIC school special-needs art teacher.

wirenerd Somersworth
07/04/12 6:17 am

If someone teaches at a private school, they are only teaching to a certain demographic (very smart, lots of money, etc.). That to me does not seem fulfilling. I would much rather teach to all kinds of kids, and I feel that helping those who have a harder time learning feels even more rewarding.

wirenerd Somersworth
07/04/12 6:14 am

My public school teachers have had such a profound effect on how I view my life, that my idol, my favorite teacher who I had for 3 years, is helping me go through with my passion, helping others. The main way that I feel I can do that is by teaching.

Obie
07/04/12 6:12 am

I just started teaching dental assisting and I really like it, but my students are older.

wirenerd Somersworth
07/04/12 6:11 am

At the private schools in our area, it's all or the doctors and lawyers kids, and the kids who's grandparents have more money than they feel they need. I went to a private school for 2 years. It is not better than a public school, where you meet all types of people, have all types of friends.

wirenerd Somersworth
07/04/12 6:08 am

Has anyone realized that just because the fantasies of the "perfect private school" are still around, DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT EXISTS!!! In my county alone, we have 10 public schools and 8 private schools. The private schools have higher drop out rates, and the teachers don't stay there as long.

herrholtz
07/04/12 5:56 am

education as a profession. The teacher is the difference maker as proven through educational research. Unless the US addresses this crisis in the next ten to fifteen years, we may look over seas to China to become the land of innovation and entrepreneurial creation.

herrholtz
07/04/12 5:54 am

seeds of public education. We are in crisis mode right now. Only 17% of Charter schools do better than public schools right now. Not the answer. Inner city public schools, for the most part, are a national disgrace. We need to identify talented teachers and motivate them to choose

herrholtz
07/04/12 5:51 am

Teaching, true professional instruction, is such an art form that we (the public) are trying to quantify without any success. From Bill Gates, who poured in $2 billion of his own money, to Governors and Presidents, continue the quest of ensuring national security through GDP growth which starts

MNMan
07/04/12 5:44 am

If the pay is that bad how do they fill the positions?

roybiker12
07/04/12 5:16 am

It has to be more enjoyable to teach in non-public, schools of choice.

roybiker12
07/04/12 5:13 am

I do enjoy tutoring & would enjoy teaching but not in a public school where the union constrains my access to success.

dadstad Texas
07/04/12 4:11 am

I used to think it would be fun to teach history and geography to high school students. Maybe something I would do in early retirement. Not anymore.