rebelfury76 October 18th, 2013 8:55pm

Those who parrot the mantra about the USA being the "greatest country in the world" are simply in the denial phase of accepting the death of what once was.

skinner Jersey City
10/19/13 5:55 am

No, we are the greatest nation on Earth

skinner Jersey City
10/19/13 10:29 am

There are many reasons. For one thing the U.S. has 70 alliances around the world and more than 70% of the global economic alliance are organized under the “U.S. global alliance system.” Our population growth is steady and stable. We have the best

skinner Jersey City
10/19/13 10:34 am

Advanced education system in the world, the dollar is the most widely used currency in the world and is the international standard. We have the most powerful military. To this day only 12 people all Americans have been on the moon.

10/19/13 10:50 am

Forcing nations to either be with or against the guy with the biggest guns is nothing to measure greatness by. Neither is how many babies people are spitting out, yes the dollar is widely used but the US govt backs that by threats.

10/19/13 10:51 am

Many middle eastern nations have tried to break away from that and weird thing is they get bombed shortly thereafter. The US govt has A LOT to lose if the USD ever stops being the mainstay. How are you judging the world's best colleges?

10/19/13 10:52 am

The US does spend the most on offense but that's hardly enough to propel it to "greatest" status. How about life expectancy, infant mortality, etc?

skinner Jersey City
10/19/13 11:03 am

Off the top of my head I'm not certain who has the lowest infant mortality rates, although I don't see why it's important. Andorra has the best life expectancy for whatever reason.

10/19/13 4:18 pm

Depends what metric we're using. It's tough to say "X is #1" because there are many variables.

Guess who's #1 in press freedom?

skinner Jersey City
10/19/13 4:24 pm

I'm not sure. Because of the nature of this debate I'm going to assume it's not the United Stated

10/18/13 7:15 pm

Minarchism amongst 30-50 smaller states with completely partisan governments so people can see what works and what doesn't.

this system is completely absurd, I don't see why anyone could continue to support this pendulum swing tug of war.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/18/13 7:22 pm

But who is doing that? Claims that America is the greatest nation on Earth do not equate to claims of perfection, merely the best of imperfection.

10/18/13 7:27 pm

Based on zero objective data, merely self interested bias and platitudes. The USA does not lead the world in anything good.

10/18/13 7:28 pm

To even suggest "the best" of anything is ignorant and incorrect. It simply isn't.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/18/13 7:48 pm

We lead the world in the overall good. If you disagree, name somewhere actually better that you could go live.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/18/13 8:05 pm

All things considered, this is the best nation in the world.

10/18/13 8:06 pm

What things? Numbers, facts, data.

Depends what you value.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/18/13 8:08 pm

Well, let's try a litmus test. Which nation's sudden and unexpected disappearance from Earth would cause more hardship in the world?

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/18/13 8:14 pm

Why?

(Which is Doopy code for "I disagree so I'm going to make you prove your case.")

10/18/13 8:31 pm

You still haven't proven your own outrageous claim by the way, not with data anyway just bumper stickers.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/18/13 8:38 pm

So the world will suffer true hardship if the supply of cheap Chinese crap suddenly dries up? What says "Made in China" which the rest of the world actually needs and really can't make for ourselves?

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/18/13 8:39 pm

Whereas, America is a financial superpower, and a military superpower. Our sudden disappearance would throw the world into economic collapse, and (probably nuclear) war.

10/19/13 4:52 am

-$17,000,000,000,000 and constant threats of default is NOT the sign of a financial superpower. In fact other nations have considered moving away from using the USD as a mainstay global currency. Then they mysteriously get bombed.

10/19/13 4:53 am

Sorry doopy, all empires end, and usually for the same reasons.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/19/13 7:15 am

Largest GDP of any nation ever IS a sign of a financial superpower, and a stronger one than the debt.

It doesn't matter whose currency they use—we both know money is just pretend anyway. What matters is how much wealth we produce.

10/19/13 9:03 am

Quite to the contrary, one of the biggest things keeping you and I from experiencing a depression that would trump the last one is the USD being the "global" currency. When that goes away hold on buddy.

Happy Hong Kong
10/18/13 3:54 pm

Some countries may be better in certain aspects, but as a total package the US still ranks as #1 for me at the moment.

Happy Hong Kong
10/18/13 4:12 pm

For what it's worth, everyone I've spoken to in other "developed" countries seems to feel like things were better in the past.

10/18/13 7:15 pm

It's not #1 by any objective metric apart from highest incarceration rates

Happy Hong Kong
10/18/13 8:35 pm

+/-97% of the world's freshly minted millionaires were created in the USA last quarter, so we must be doing something right.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/18/13 3:30 pm

I don't believe in a "best country" and I don't think we need one. In today's world we need to be the Best Global World we can be together, because that is the economy we live in. That being said, there are thinks America is still great at

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/18/13 3:31 pm

And I think it is okay to say so. We may be losing our privacy, but we still have better human rights than most nations - for example

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/18/13 4:16 pm

There's always a best country. Egypt, China, Babylon, Persia, Greece, Rome, Turkey, Spain, England, France, America.
We're the latest in the line, but there will always be a best country. It's human nature.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/18/13 3:19 pm

At the current moment in time, I think it's still true. But it feels like we're sliding fast. :(

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
10/18/13 3:10 pm

I think Americans and our ideals are pretty amazing. The government on the other hand...

EarlyBird Portland
10/18/13 2:30 pm

Yes, I think many are in denial.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/18/13 2:11 pm

I don't believe America was ever the "greatest country in the world". I think it was one of the greatest nations, and I still believe it is. I do, however, think it has declined on that list rather hastily.

rlands
10/18/13 2:04 pm

Just for clarification, when did our decline fully manifest itself? Are you talking Obama and Bush caused it all? It anything after the 18th century was already a failure?

rlands
10/18/13 7:28 pm

Do you think we should go back to the days of the founders and revert our government to exactly how it was upon its creation?

10/18/13 8:07 pm

Yes, I think the articles of confederation deserve another go with some minor tweaks.

rlands
10/18/13 8:20 pm

Oh right. We've spoken about this before.

bkcrt California
10/18/13 2:02 pm

The American ideal is great. It's the perversion that it has become that is the problem; I.E. the government.

rainman1088
10/18/13 1:59 pm

We are getting pretty horrible in comparison to what we were, but still better than most...