Squidboy October 18th, 2013 2:49pm

14 and 12 year old girls in FL bullied a 12 year old classmate so relentlessly that she committed suicide. The girls have been arrested and charged with aggravated stalking. Should their parents also be criminally liable for their kids' bullying?

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/18/13 2:28 pm

I'm familiar with this case. One of the sets of parents is completely apologetic and realizes that they are PARTLY to blame. And the other set of parents claims their daughter is perfect and her Facebook was hacked. Those parents need a reality check

Mattwall1
10/18/13 2:58 pm

I have respect for the first set of parents. I have nothing but disgust at the second set as of now

EarlyBird Portland
10/18/13 1:37 pm

Unless there is a lot of documentation showing the parents were aware and working with professionals in trying to get a grasp on the girls behavior, I absolutely think the parents should be held accountable.

isusd5
10/18/13 12:59 pm

I don't know criminally but a civil lawsuit for wrongful death would be just. Sad story. Kids can be so mean.

camigirl
10/18/13 10:15 am

I'm happy to hear they charged the kids, and I would like the parents to be as well but that can only work if there was sufficient evidence they were aware what their kids were doing. And who knows there might be...

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/18/13 9:48 am

Had this discussion about whether to charge the kids or not, and I think stalking was a good call. And if the parents knew, sure

jonny323
10/18/13 9:00 am

Absolutely not unless there is solid evidence that they had knowledge of what was going on and a reasonable amount of the extent.

talbotfarwell Appalachia
10/18/13 10:45 am

Indeed. Plus the prosecution must prove intent, no? I'm conflicted on this, as I feel many parents these days negligently choose to disconnect themselves from their children's activities online, even if it's bullying which can be traumatic to others.

Mooo42Q Thats Nucking Futs
10/18/13 8:59 am

Hold the parents accountable so they hold their children accountable. Too many people think their children can do no wrong.

jonfrei the boonies
10/18/13 8:46 am

We don't have anywhere near enough information to say "prosecute", but it is certainly something that needs to be looked at - hard...

huskermedic Cincinnati
10/18/13 8:44 am

I said yes just so the police can look in to it. If the parents tried to stop there kids from bullying then they should not be charged. But so far the evidence is pointing these parents did not. It is for the courts to find the truth not the media

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
10/18/13 8:39 am

From what I understand of the case, the parents are in denial and refusing to accept the evidence. If they are obstructing justice (as I believe one set of parents are) then they should face charges. Otherwise they just need to face facts.

DavesNotHere where am I
10/18/13 8:38 am

From what the sheriff said on TV two days ago, the parents did nothing to stop their daughters from stalking the girl even after she moved away. And he said the parents knew what their daughters were doing but are in denial. From the Today Show.

Yoko318 Utah
10/18/13 8:17 am

It is entirely possible that the parents really had no clue what was happening.

MJSeals J.D.
10/18/13 9:00 am

Minors know bullying is wrong and do it always, they are young not stupid

MJSeals J.D.
10/18/13 8:08 am

"It is times we got back to the American precept that individuals are responsible for their own actions"~Ronald Reagan
This is were the "it takes a village" speech becomes false. You'd have to arrest the parents, the teachers, friends. Anyone who...

MJSeals J.D.
10/18/13 8:09 am

Had an influence on these two girls because then any of these people could have cause the bullying or didn't help to stop it

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/18/13 8:50 am

Was Reagan talking about minors in that speech?

MJSeals J.D.
10/18/13 9:00 am

Minors know bullying is wrong and do it always, they are young not stupid

HayleyS looking up.
10/18/13 8:03 am

No way. The parents might have no idea that their kids act like that.

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/18/13 8:06 am

Parents are legally responsible for their children at that age; perhaps they should.

HayleyS looking up.
10/18/13 8:08 am

Really though, my mom had no way to know for sure how I acted in middle school while at school. She couldn't follow me to school.. And if I seemed trustworthy to her, why would she investigate it?

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/18/13 8:43 am

My wife and I communicate a lot with our kids. The simplest conversation can clue us in to how they are doing, through certain behaviors and responses. Parents can only know that through time and experience.

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/18/13 8:46 am

It does not require meddling into every aspect of a kids life, but just talking and being there for them. With that, parent just know. It adds the their instincts.
If parents let their kids do their own thing, they will. And then they have no

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/18/13 10:43 am

We knew who their friends were and where they were (for the most part). Volunteering for school activities when possible also kept us involved and in-the-loop, and allowed parents to mingle and get to know eachother. Yes, it takes a village...

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/18/13 10:59 am

...and involved parents that enjoy talking with one another.

Dannysgirl618 Minot AFB
10/18/13 12:39 pm

Your parents might not have followed you to school but I'm pretty sure there's teachers and all you have to do is ask them how your child behaves. There's always a way to be involved in your child's life.

Mattwall1
10/18/13 7:58 am

Great question I hope you don't mind that I shared it

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
10/18/13 8:02 am

Please do, I love hearing peoples thoughts and I always pick up a few more followers.