Liberty October 18th, 2013 1:29pm

Four armed men break into a home and shoot a sleeping, unarmed man over twenty times. Should the killers be exempted from prosecution if they are cops?

Porcupine
10/18/13 4:56 pm

I have worked closely with LEO's in the past. Sometimes they face very dynamic situations with high ambiguity and they may be forced to make split second decisions. Inevitably, such circumstances will eventually produce bad outcomes. If the officer acted in good faith, doing the best he could...

Porcupine
10/18/13 5:00 pm

...with a bad situation, I am inclined to be sympathetic and extend some understanding. Still, the duty of the public servant is to place themselves in the defense of the public. If officer safety becomes superior to the interests of public safety and due process, we would be better without...

Porcupine
10/18/13 5:03 pm

...law enforcement, at least as it currently exists. Negligent and criminal action by, or corruption of, law enforcement demandsare a harsh response. They know better and are empowered with certain privileges that other citizens are denied. They must be held to a higher standard.

Porcupine
10/18/13 5:06 pm

Ultimately, I believe that much of this derives from foolish legislation. We have militarized our peace officers to fight impossible wars that are antithetical to liberty. Solving that problem solves the rest and improves life for ALL of us.

LilL44 Stuck In Suburbia
10/18/13 4:47 pm

um of course not?!?

10/18/13 9:12 am

Read the link at the bottom.

CalTexHawk spiral arm
10/18/13 3:48 pm

yeah, no bias, hyperbole or exaggeration there at all...

MadCow True GOP
10/18/13 9:00 am

Given what I read here, he probably had a gun under his pillow, or the nightstand, or a concealed one it is nightshirt.

10/18/13 10:11 am

Read the link for the full stories.

jonfrei the boonies
10/18/13 8:13 am

You're starting to sound like RebelFury76...

10/18/13 8:16 am

Maybe he just sounds like me.

jonfrei the boonies
10/18/13 8:36 am

If that was the case I would have given up on you & unfollowed months ago... This is your first poll to grate my nerves & holler "Reb!" to me...

10/18/13 8:37 am

Haha, sorry. This kind of stuff just really bothers me.

jonfrei the boonies
10/18/13 8:42 am

It bothers the hell out of me, too, and I'm a cop. Presenting them like this, though, inflames the hell out of an already totally fucked situation...

10/18/13 8:48 am

I understand that, but read through the article and tell me it's not an accurate description.

jonfrei the boonies
10/18/13 9:05 am

Yes, it is an accurate description of those incidents as they are presented. It doesn't make your presentation any less inflammatory. There are certainly bad cops & even bad departments out there, as well as municipalities (cont)

jonfrei the boonies
10/18/13 9:06 am

that will do nearly anything to "win" & avoid liability instead of assuming responsibility. I don't have the answers for you, but fanning the fire indiscriminately doesn't help...

jonfrei the boonies
10/18/13 9:08 am

You'll note Reb's flippant "happens all the time" answer below, yet he would begrudge me armor when I confront automatic weapons simply because I /might/ abuse it...

10/18/13 10:13 am

Pointing out the bad ones shouldn't harm the good ones, including yourself. The point I'd like to make is that the bad ones are able to get away with it because the law works in their favor.

10/18/13 10:14 am

The killers in these all entered homes illegally and fired upon the occupants.
They should be treated no differently than a private criminal that had done the same thing.

10/18/13 10:16 am

I don't think you should be prohibited from wearing body armor or anything like that. I just think that we should all be treated equally under the law. As it stands now, cops are a higher caste that are immune to punishment in many cases.

jonfrei the boonies
10/19/13 6:59 am

I agree - we should certainly not be immune from prosecution when we commit criminal acts (and for the record, I agree with you that the ones in the article are) - in fact, I feel there should be an "LE enhancement" just like (cont)

jonfrei the boonies
10/19/13 7:02 am

a "gang enhancement" establishing higher penalties for crimes committed under the color of law.

As for the armor issue - that was not at you - Reb has made ludicrous comments along these lines way too regularly to think he doesn't believe it...

10/19/13 7:15 am

Then we're pretty much in agreement. I don't know about an "enhancement," but I do think that acting outside of the law while in uniform or claiming to be performing official duties should essentially warrant the charge of impersonating an officer.

jonfrei the boonies
10/19/13 7:32 am

I see exactly what you are thinking, but think we could come up with a better charge...

10/18/13 7:09 am

Read the link below. It contains several examples.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 7:11 am

Happens all the time.

TierasPet
10/18/13 6:38 am

Yes, there is no excuse for shooting someone who poses no threat. No matter what he may have done, it's up to the courts to punish him.

TierasPet
10/18/13 6:40 am

Sorry, that should have started with no, not yes.

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/18/13 6:36 am

But they would be. In all likeliness anyway. That's the society we live in. Cops have more power, are given the benefit of the doubt, their word means more, and they can arrest people for no reason.

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/18/13 7:44 am

I don't want to like your post because its so sadly true.

10/18/13 6:40 am

It's like Judge Dredd taken to extreme.

EarlyBird Portland
10/18/13 9:25 am

Liberty- if someone wants to unfollow you because of your polls, let them go. You post great polls :-)

10/18/13 10:17 am

I don't mind. My feelings aren't hurt. Thanks, though!