Show Of Hands October 18th, 2013 1:01pm

The phrase "non-essential workers" was used to describe the government employees who were sent home during the shutdown. Is that an unfair label?

blw1104 Pennsylvania
10/20/13 3:12 pm

Essential workers are those who must work or else. They keep basic operations running. These are the ones that are not excused even in case of national disaster (blizzard, hurricane). They are the last to evacuate, the last to shut down.

8ESBABY Houston
10/20/13 12:55 pm

The jobs were "essential" enough to create and fill. I would be offended.

platinum
10/20/13 8:38 am

Those workers are now going to double-dip. Unemployment and back pay.

jtopo Istrouma
10/20/13 4:30 am

You know your Federal government is too big when 60% of personnel are "essential".

jtopo Istrouma
10/20/13 4:31 am

So during the shutdown, most of government was business as usual.

Gunfighter
10/20/13 1:01 am

Why do we *have* so-called "non-essentia"l workers?! Fire them immediately.

tgrinhi12 Baton Rouge, LA
10/20/13 5:55 am

I am not defending non-essential but it is defined by laws and regs. So are the social workers essential? Is the Corps of Engineers essential? Are the air controllers essential? USGS?

I think the essential comes from whether or not you use the services being provided.

DavesNotHere where am I
10/19/13 6:44 pm

They're American working people trying to make a living. That's essential to me.

kairu Trust no one...simple
10/19/13 2:38 pm

Somehow America survived without those tax payer money wasting entities!

hposto Oklahoma
10/19/13 2:10 pm

Doesn't Congress have that label? Lol

gatsbyxxv
10/19/13 6:02 am

Unfair which was obviously proven over and over.

DirCat Tuscaloosa, Alabama
10/18/13 10:00 pm

The workers at the congressional gym were deemed necessary, while workers at shelters for domestic abuse victims were not.

Burntwaffle VA Politics and Pie
10/19/13 3:00 pm

Can you give me a source?

dogsaver new Jersey
10/18/13 9:33 pm

That covers about 90% of NJ state workers. I would say that's about 99% of federal workers!

jessej7
10/18/13 8:39 pm

i think the ones who were kept getting paid to argue over their own inept abilties were the non essential ones

Ty2j Time to stretch
10/18/13 7:55 pm

I consider most people in Congress to be "non-essential" considering how good they are at their job.

ethanmay Oklahoma
10/18/13 7:21 pm

Why on earth do we have non-essentials in our government? Why should my tax dollars be spent on something that is non-essential?

adriannefaiza Maryland
10/18/13 7:23 pm

The term is used in the context to describe positions which do not have an impact on life, limb, or eye sight. It also excludes all department chiefs and commanders.

bchrome
10/18/13 6:43 pm

Only in a liberals mind is it unfair to call something what it is. Kind of like when they throw a hissy fit for using the word "illegal" in "illegal immigrant".

bnnt Los Angeles
10/18/13 4:15 pm

It's a definite statement of where cuts should be.

mamalisa California
10/18/13 4:06 pm

Good lord. Don't tell me people were offended by this completely benign label. Seriously our lives are too easy if this is the stuff that riles people up.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/18/13 1:11 pm

It's as good as any. It does NOT mean "unnecessary", merely that their functions are not absolutely critical every day. The uninformed attitude towards this word in this context reminds me of the uninformed attitude towards the word "entitlement".

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
10/18/13 7:48 pm

Exactly. Just because a job is nonessential for a few weeks does not mean it's nonessential forever. My car can go for longer between oil changes than is strictly called for, but that doesn't mean that it's fiscally responsible to never change it.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
10/18/13 1:05 pm

"Useful tool" is more accurate. Stalinist tactic to use people as tools.

texanhoosier Belton, TX
10/18/13 12:44 pm

From what happened when they returned here I would other they stay gone. Mostly the civilians I work with are busy justifying their jobs.

cannoneer Columbiana
10/18/13 12:40 pm

People start being offended by specific terminology when that terminology is identified as being shameful. One can only be insulted by someone if you respect their opinion.

Bolide
10/18/13 12:27 pm

Essential for what exactly?

kjs Minnesota
10/18/13 12:01 pm

Non-essential workers, as far as I am concerned, are those that are suppose to represent us in D.C.

hoosierwisdom inner voice
10/18/13 11:59 am

And now we have paid them for not working. They will get over the label

MCSpanner Here and there
10/18/13 11:58 am

If they're non-essential then there's no reason to continue those job.

Injectable Trump Killed Babbitt
10/18/13 12:17 pm

Which is why its an unfair label. Not saying some of those jobs probably couldn't be cut, but all of them?

MCSpanner Here and there
10/18/13 12:29 pm

That's my point ( with sarcasm ). It is an unfair label.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
10/18/13 11:53 am

I think they're all pretty essential to all the businesses that have relationships with those people who suddenly had no paycheck. Not to say they weren't working. I know people who were still doing their job, just not getting paid.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
10/18/13 11:55 am

They'll be paid now for everything they did, but at the time, they had no idea how long it would be before that happened.

susanr Colorado
10/18/13 10:22 am

Totally unfair, since the general public apparently isn't aware that it refers to matters of national security & protection of property ONLY. (Although, tossing in the congressional gym was beyond stupid.)

susanr Colorado
10/18/13 10:25 am

This was enough of an issue during the shutdowns in the 90s that I would think they might have used different terms by now. It's really stupid to have to spend any energy & time defending government functions just because of inaccurate terminology.

TomM
10/18/13 11:49 am

They actually have another official term, I cannot remember why it is. It's just the media people who keep saying non-essential.

susanr Colorado
10/18/13 11:52 am

Well, they should be slapped silly, and then slapped some more. (And no I don't mean that literally, but really, that's just SO UNHELPFUL to anyone. And yes, I'm still sensitive about my experiences with scientists during the last shutdowns.)

TheChoznOne Fort Leonard Wood,MO
10/18/13 10:08 am

A common term in the military

cowboy Dawns Highway
10/18/13 9:56 am

Yes, that's exactly what they are.

anonymousmn Minnesota
10/18/13 12:26 pm

Tell that to the cancer patients unable to take part in treatments and trial programs due to the NIH programs being shutdown. Those in the middle of treatment had to stop altogether. Won't be able to start again until spring. That is, if they are

anonymousmn Minnesota
10/18/13 12:27 pm

Still alive.

Moon Iowa
10/18/13 9:44 am

Non essential: toxic waste clean up, NASA employees, cancer screenings

Essential: gym for members of house, every member of Steve King staff, the Capitol subway system which takes you from house to house, a mechanical bull for recruiting

wego Utah
10/18/13 9:51 am

Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. This topic is mind-blowing. How can they really think this is ok?!

TiredofIt Texas
10/18/13 10:07 am

All of Pelosi and Reid's staffs too.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
10/18/13 9:38 am

Something else the Liberal media will complain about. We called them non essential. Oh no!!!! Just like we call them illegal immigrants instead of undocumented citizens. F....ing Stupid. Who cares????

vbranger Hillary for Prison
10/18/13 9:40 am

The political correctness is getting out of control. No matter what, their will always be someone who gets offended. It doesn't matter what you say.

TiredofIt Texas
10/18/13 10:08 am

And I hate how someone saying "I'm offended" is supposed to just shut you up. Umm, no, you are just too sensitive and need to grow some balls.

TomM
10/18/13 11:53 am

Some people don't want to be called liberal anymore either. I don't get why a word like that suddenly becomes incorrect.

Moon Iowa
10/18/13 9:37 am

NASA is non essential but the Congress gym is essential... Okay makes sense! Children cancer screenings are non essential but Steve Kings staff is essential... Okay makes sense!

CallMeSmith The Tardis
10/18/13 8:47 am

I know of a bunch of congressmen that I might consider "non essential workers"

msa116 Pennsylvania
10/18/13 8:19 am

Worked for the fed. It is not a term used to describe how essential one is to an agency. In my last duty spot we had priority messages come in everyday. We all took turns being the essential. If the base closed for weather or natural disaster we still had to report.

jvc1133 61535
10/18/13 8:08 am

Pink slips, start at White House Top

CzarCastic
10/18/13 7:49 am

It's "politically correct" as to not offend anyone. And it's "Merry Christmas" btw.

Mana Portland
10/18/13 7:49 am

People seem to be confused by the term non-essential. The non-essential job is not useless work. Rather it's not absolutely crucial. Of course which jobs are crucial is relative to which party we talk to.

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/18/13 7:47 am

Considering that my life was not affected in any way from the shutdown, I'd say that's about right.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/18/13 7:51 am

Your right - just because your baby didn't need to be fed and you couldn't get your WIC vouchers - means those workers were not needed

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/18/13 7:55 am

My son does have wic for food. But we were fine without it. Try again please.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/18/13 8:02 am

That doesn't mean there weren't babies that weren't fine - your attitude is very selfish

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/18/13 8:02 am

You should be thankful that you were fine

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/18/13 8:03 am

I can take care of myself and my family. I only care about myself and my family. Sue me. But in regards to this shutdown? It wasn't going to last more than 3 weeks. If kids went hungry they should have gone to a church to ask for food.

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/18/13 8:04 am

Charity would have stepped in had children actually gone hungry. If Americans hate anything, it's suffering children.

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/18/13 8:09 am

And if charity fails? Then the "selfish" people like me would step up and help them.

anonymousmn Minnesota
10/18/13 12:30 pm

If you are doing "fine", Angel, then why don't you rely on the church and stop taking wic altogether since it is unnecessary for you.

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/18/13 4:22 pm

I use it because it exists and I qualify for it. Why fault me for using everything I can use to help me? I'm also not religious, perhaps you would like to use that against me as well?

rcgrant south carolina
10/19/13 3:54 am

so if angel uses wic and don't depend on its a crime.. but people with no issues collect disability.
some that all they have ever done is be a baby mill collect gov benefit as a career lets get mad about them

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
10/18/13 7:41 am

Maybe they're not essential for the short period of the shutdown but I'm sure there needed normally.

nickelb Texas
10/18/13 7:38 am

It meant that we didn't need them for 16 days. We still need them normally.

redwolf thisisavalidlocation
10/18/13 7:35 am

I can't take political correctness anymore

sojourner present
10/18/13 7:13 am

We can do without them in the short run, but the longer a shutdown like this would continue the more we would all begin to feel its effects. Food inspections, nuclear power inspections, etc. support staff for the military, clerical staff for most

sojourner present
10/18/13 7:14 am

govt offices, etc. Yes, we can get by for awhile but there comes a point where the govt could no longer function. And while it definitely has it's flaws, I favor it over anarchy.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 7:30 am

Minarchy is a good place.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/18/13 7:49 am

During the shutdown, we were spending at 83% of normal. I could run everything we really need in this government indefinitely for that.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
10/18/13 7:13 am

It may be accurate, but it all comes down to the definition of "essential". Apparently national park security is ESSENTIAL to Republicans. Personally I would have wanted the FDA to continue testing seafood imports.

jonny323
10/18/13 7:22 am

Non essential pretty much means that you get to take they day off during a state of emergency. Your job has to be absolutely needed everyday or in that specific situation for you to be an essential worker.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 7:29 am

Hey reality. Maybe do a reality check and realize that BOTH parties are equally to blame here for all the absurdity we witnessed these couple of weeks. It's time to abandon the pendulum swing of power and look for REAL solutions.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
10/18/13 7:49 am

Sorry rebel. You've mistaken ignorance for objectivity. There aren't always two sides with equal merit to every story.

jonny323
10/18/13 7:55 am

Yeah, you can't blame democrats for not giving up basically their only achievement of Obama's presidency just because there are some wackos in the other party willing to sabotage the government. Though overall we do need to end the two party system.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
10/18/13 11:15 pm

@rebelfury what did this question or my answer have to do with blame for the shutdown? Agencies had identified "non-essential" roles long before the 2013 shutdown; this was procedure, not politics.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 7:12 am

I believe very government employee is non essential. But the ones that even the government calls non essential should
be dissolved immediately

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 7:28 am

Good and drug companies have an incentive to keep people healthy. Never mind that dead customers can't buy more but alive customers won't buy products that make them sick. Let the market work.

ScottyDoesNo DailyWire.com
10/18/13 7:28 am

*Especially* no FDA!

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 7:28 am

All the FDA does is jack up the costs for the end user, it's completely unnecessary.

ScottyDoesNo DailyWire.com
10/18/13 7:30 am

Exactly Fury! I've never I stood the math behind companies wanting to hurt or kill their customers. But oh no, the only reason they don't is because the FDA makes them. Absurd.

jonny323
10/18/13 7:30 am

That is some of the dumbest stuff I've heard on show of hands.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 7:31 am

Got a real retort or just dismissal that I can interpret as lack of intelligent response?

jonny323
10/18/13 7:41 am

They sell food, so literally every human is a potential customer. That means that the two main things that will increase their profitability is larger profit margins and decreased consumer costs. How many companies do you really think are going to...

jonny323
10/18/13 7:43 am

Perform safety tests on their own products? If your point about dead people not buying products were relevant, cigarettes wouldn't contain huge varieties of chemicals and carcinogens.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 7:44 am

That's why they have warnings printed on the side numb nuts. Yes companies will sell safe products because there's a market incentive to do so.

jonny323
10/18/13 7:45 am

Even with the FDA their is still a huge number of drugs that are recalled because they find out the have horrible side effects. Now just imagine if we let companies take drugs to market without any regulation.

jonny323
10/18/13 7:49 am

This is why I'm always dismissive of you. Your an antigovernment ideologue that dismisses any evidence that is contrary to your preconceived ideals.

ScottyDoesNo DailyWire.com
10/18/13 7:59 am

I'm curious Jon, before the FDA, how was food sold to customers?

jonny323
10/18/13 8:07 am

I don't know the differences in how food was sold from the 1800s to now, but assuming you mean was there anything like the FDA before the FDA, yes there was. The department of agriculture performed some of what the FDA did when it was created.

ScottyDoesNo DailyWire.com
10/18/13 8:14 am

And before the Department of Agriculture?

jonny323
10/18/13 7:04 am

It isn't something that should offend the workers that we really didn't need. What should offend people are the services that were deemed essential and non essential.

jonny323
10/18/13 7:06 am

During the shutdown, the government refused to pay for planes to send the bodies of our fallen soldiers home, yet somehow the congressional gym was decided to be essential and remained open.

ehenders
10/18/13 6:56 am

I believe they aren't essential, but they should have been fired, not put on unpaid (now paid) vacation.

ken08106
10/18/13 6:56 am

Non-essential means no necessary to maintain the state of the country. Sorry but the zoo and national parks arent essential like the military and FBI. Get over it.

Zarrous Waldoboro
10/18/13 10:16 am

Government contractors that maintain the state of our military were considered nonessential. Also we had less protection from cyber attacks during the shutdown.

icytoes the tepid north
10/18/13 6:52 am

It was all crap. I was deemed essential but then wasn't allowed to perform 90% of my job. Do you have ANY idea how much backlog I could have cleared up during that time..?

thejoker Call me Bartholomew
10/18/13 6:34 am

Not essential to what? That's where people might get offended.