Mattwall1 October 18th, 2013 12:58pm

Today in 1648, shoemakers in Boston formed the first labor organization in what would become the US. Overall, do you view unions positively or negatively?

DavesNotHere where am I
10/19/13 6:50 pm

Unions are as good or bad as their membership. They're some things that my union does that drive me nuts. That's on a local level. On the national level, they are the reason I own a home, a car, have great vacation time and can afford $300 phones.

makem Chinese Xinjiang Camp
10/19/13 7:21 am

They were positive but over a long time became negative

rons Thanks America
10/18/13 3:00 pm

When they resort to thuggery it's pretty bad. Cutting brake lines in railroad cars is not a good proctice!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/18/13 1:08 pm

Very negatively. There was a time, before our robust labor laws, where they clearly served a purpose. That time has passed. If there were a move to dilute those laws, perhaps unions might again become relevant, but today they are not.

MisterE Conservistan
10/18/13 9:35 pm

I think they shouLd have the right to negotiate with their employer. The government shouldn't do it for them.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/18/13 9:48 pm

The answer is right to work laws. They can negotiate all they want, just don't force anyone to join the club just to have a job.

DavesNotHere where am I
10/19/13 6:47 pm

I agree Zod. I'm in a union. I don't believe anyone should be forced to join anything they don't want to. I also believe that they shouldn't reap the benefits of union won awards like higher salaries or benefits. Or representation by a shop steward.

MisterE Conservistan
10/19/13 6:50 pm

If it's a requirement for you to be a member of a union to work somewhere no one is saying you have to work there.

JudyMill Living free
10/18/13 11:01 am

Workers would get screwed without them

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/18/13 8:40 am

They were very necessary and made the working world a better place, but now they are just trying to get paid the most for doing the least and it is hurting America

elizabennet88
10/18/13 8:44 am

Which unions are you referring to?

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/18/13 8:47 am

that help or hurt?

that hurt one example is the teachers union honestly teachers deserve to be paid more but the teachers union wants to get paid more for doing the least amount of teaching possible and it annoys me

the helped one would be the miners' unions back in the early 1900s

elizabennet88
10/18/13 8:52 am

I am a teacher and working 50-80 hours per week for $40,000 is the farthest I can physically get from "doing the least amount of teaching possible." I am sad that your experiences have led you to have such a poor opinion of the profession and the unions that support us.

elizabennet88
10/18/13 8:59 am

It is also interesting that every year the state gov't requires more and more student testing and teacher professional development (which is usually useless),...

elizabennet88
10/18/13 9:00 am

...both of which take time out of student learning, and it is the teachers and unions who are fighting to increase time spent actually teaching the students.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/18/13 9:07 am

I don't have a low opinion of teachers on the contrary its a job few people have the stamina or drive to do, and I never ssid teachers want to get by doing the least.

but from what I have seen of the unions that is what they want.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/18/13 9:09 am

I'm sorry if I came off the wrong way I have a high opinion of the majority of teachers and I think they should be paid much more. But I'm not a fan of things the unions generally support like tenure or trying to stop performance based bonuses (not pay but bonuses)

elizabennet88
10/18/13 9:26 am

I see what you are saying and thank you for your support. Consider though, that, at least here in MI, the teachers ARE the unions. The union leadership doesn't support an issue unless the majority of teachers support it. They speak for us.

Yoko318 Utah
10/18/13 8:27 am

I understand that they were totally necessary for a time, but that time is past. Now they.gr just a royal pain in the butt.

Think Lovin Life
10/18/13 7:43 am

So, how has the shoemakers helped the US shoemakers? In the 275 years since, they've done a great job of helping to drive the shoemaking offshore.

Unfortunately, unions will drive to ruin any business they infiltrate.

icytoes the tepid north
10/18/13 7:18 am

Historically, positive. Currently, negative.