BeachSt October 18th, 2013 2:03am

I just purchased an item on Amazon. I was charged my region's sales tax of 6%. Have you ever been charged sales tax for an online purchase?

10/18/13 9:47 am

It was 5% a couple months ago, but we really need some major transportation projects completed.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 9:55 am

Getting a slap in the face is better than a kick in the jewels too

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 2:13 am

It's been a while since I bought online but I can't remember. I think it's complete bullshît and I wish Uncle Sam could get their hands out of my wallet. I'm close to dumping some tea in the ocean.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 9:55 am

Ever add up how much you're taxed? I hope you would then.

10/18/13 10:25 am

Sure. But state taxes that benefit my religion specifically I have no problems with. Nor ones that fund the EPA

ModerateGOP26 Maine
10/18/13 12:41 am

Virginia didn't used to be that high, did it? I have an aunt who lives in the DC area (Alexandria I think?), and I didn't think she paid that much ??

10/18/13 9:48 am

It was 5% until July 24th (or 1st?) when it went up to 5.3% statewide and 6% in NoVa and here in Hampton Roads.

Jungle in the dog house
10/17/13 10:51 pm

An online company much charge sales tax for sales in any state that they have a brick and mortar presence.

10/18/13 9:49 am

Yes, but like I said below, they have a warehouse a skip and a jump across the border in Kentucky. Why open one here? Does 100 miles closer really help, and is it really worth it? I don't mind, but it could trigger distrust.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 9:56 am

You distrust a business that's trying to provide a service but not the mafioso government?

What goes on in that head of yours beach

10/18/13 10:26 am

I don't. I was running out of characters. I means why would they open a warehouse in Virginia 100 miles from another if they know people don't want to be taxed and would go to another business that doesn't have a physical in Virginia.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 10:48 am

Because if I remember correctly congress is trying to make ALL online purchases be subject to the purchaser's extortion rates in their area regardless of presence.

susanr Colorado
10/17/13 9:53 pm

Online purchases from Apple have had sales tax added for as long as I can remember. I can't remember about other online purchases, but I'm not getting charged for it by Amazon. Yet.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/17/13 9:08 pm

Amazon is based in my home state, so yeah...

Happy Hong Kong
10/17/13 8:21 pm

For about the last year.

Think Lovin Life
10/17/13 8:02 pm

Beach ... you must have been happy to be taxed, right?

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 2:14 am

Roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/18/13 9:51 am

I wasn't jumping up and down, but, no, I don't mind. We need a third span across across Hampton roads. One is 50 years old, and the other is leaking. Both are 4 lanes total, 2 tubes. I support collecting the tax they fought to raise.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 9:54 am

You know if they spent what they had efficiently they wouldn't have to keep raiding the extortion rates

10/18/13 10:27 am

Well, no because BUILDING a brand new crossing would cost too much. They're redoing 11 bridges in Richmond, REPLACING a tunnel here, repairing another, hopefully BUILDING another, expanding highways in NoVa. It's unsustainable on what the...

10/18/13 10:28 am

...the republicans "cut" taxes to. Even though they just raised them later. And promised democrats to a review and vote on a Medicaid expansion.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 10:44 am

There's waste at all levels of government

10/18/13 10:48 am

I don't disagree. But VDOT has been on a maintenance budget. I've looked at their budget. There's no money for new projects. We needed an overhaul. It was a bipartisan package that passed. All tax increases are not always bad. We've got stuff we...

10/18/13 10:49 am

...need to get done. If you disapprove, then you don't have to love here. NoVa has the worst traffic in the entire country and Hampton roads isn't that far behind. We need projects to get a roll along. Please, is it okay with you that we can start...

10/18/13 10:50 am

...building? I know you mean well. I know you think government is a monster, but it's the monster that can prevent tire blowouts and road rage at this time. We're a region of water. I don't bridges built in the 20s to be the only thing standing!

MrWolfe Nashville
10/17/13 7:52 pm

I've bought stuff from the Apple store online & I think they've always charged sales tax

10/17/13 7:22 pm

I don't mind. I just noticed that it must have started within the last month, so I was curious who else pays it. I bought stuff in September that didn't have tax, now this does.

TomM
10/17/13 7:32 pm

It's because they now have a presence in your state. To improve delivery, they have warehouses in many states now and therefore have to charge tax. This is also why they promote sales tax on Internet sales so all their competitors have to tax too.

10/17/13 7:39 pm

Well, yes, I'm aware of the physical presence thing, but that seems like a quick time for a warehouse to be established. It was 3 weeks since my last purchase. Also, the main warehouse is right across the border in Lexington, so why open one here?

TomM
10/17/13 7:42 pm

I don't know about your specific case. This was more the general statement about the changes I have read about.

10/17/13 7:45 pm

Interest. I mean, I wouldn't disbelieve your story. I don't think Virginia would be the first in line to collect sales tax on Internet sales 4 months after raising the sales tax. Plus, how else could amazon keep up with free 2 day prime shipping?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/17/13 7:19 pm

Not that I recall I live in Oregon and we don't have sales tax.

TomM
10/17/13 7:11 pm

No we don't have sales tax :-p

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
10/18/13 2:15 am

But I'll bet you have higher property tax

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/17/13 7:03 pm

Yup. I do most of my shopping on Amazon. Thanks, New York.