BadWolf October 17th, 2013 2:17pm

What is your stance on universal health care? Not a specific plan, just the idea.

Ernest Make it so
10/17/13 3:57 pm

My view? Completely negative!!! Sounds nice on paper... like socialism... but in reality... terrible.

XposeBarak Out There
10/17/13 2:47 pm

Phew!!! Good thing we can change our answers i accidentally hit blue...lol i almost choked on my dinner when i saw what did

comppete Las Vegas
10/17/13 2:42 pm

It is the beginning of the end of our liberties and freedoms.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
10/17/13 10:43 am

I have an Australian friend... he hates their hc system.

fredd TrumpLand
10/17/13 10:39 am

I'm for it. It can be done. There are plenty examples. It improves the health and prosperity of the population in general. It should be a no-brainer.

drcynic Pittsburgh, PA
10/17/13 10:11 am

I frequently talk with my second cousin who is British and we got to talking about health care because she worked as a nurse. She's also a Tory. Frankly, she thought we were nuts to not protect our people with a NHS style system.

fredd TrumpLand
10/17/13 10:37 am

While I'm all for universal healthcare, the NHS is not the system to copy.

theavgguy I.E.
10/17/13 10:10 am

What scares me is not government run health care, but it with amnesty for illegal aliens. instantly creating another group of people bound to government services.

fredd TrumpLand
10/17/13 10:42 am

I agree that's an issue but not a huge one. As a group, illegal aliens have a higher rate of employment (or self-employment) than the general population and most pay taxes like the rest of us. So I feel they will make their contribution.

theavgguy I.E.
10/17/13 10:51 am

Really? I took a neighbor down to the local welfare office because her car was not running. 80% of the people there we're from south of the border. I started asking some questions and all you needed was a valid photo ID and a bill from where you lived, to get welfare.

theavgguy I.E.
10/17/13 10:52 am

L.A. county spent 1.6 billion dollars on services for the illegals last year.

kscott516 EB rules
10/17/13 11:27 am

Shhhh, you're ruining the agenda

cowboy Here and There
10/17/13 9:30 am

I'm against Communism

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/17/13 9:47 am

You obviously don't know what communism is

cowboy Here and There
10/17/13 11:04 am

Redistribution of healthcare is a Marx idea that he wrote in his Communist manifesto. Don't tell me I don't know.

itsbread Southern California
10/17/13 8:58 am

We can't afford it, doctors don't want it, it makes healthcare quality go down, it gets nearly impossible to see a doctor, and worst of all it puts government even more in our business, which only means in our way.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
10/17/13 8:27 am

Do you REALLY want the Government to run your Healthcare ??? These are the same folks that brought you the US Postal Service (and the term snail mail) .. I would rather have the private sector run things...Free Enterprise has better outcomes ...

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/17/13 9:05 am

Yeah because it has worked so well in our country compared to every other developed nation

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
10/17/13 9:43 am

Why do you think people from all over the world come here to get treatment ??? Isn't the Government run healthcare in other countries good enough ? Or could it be that FREE ENTERPRISE produces better results ?

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/17/13 9:46 am

The only thing America is better at is high risk surgeries, that's what people come here for

my comparative politics professor goes to Canada, Japan, and France for any non essential procedures because it is SO much chesper there than here

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
10/17/13 10:10 am

Has it occurred to you, your comparative politics professor MIGHT lean a little to the left politically ? Do you personally think government run healthcare is better than the private sector ? Have you ever studied any books by Milton Friedman ?

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/17/13 10:15 am

Americans spend more on heslthcare and yet we have a lower life expectancy and lower rated general healthcare than other countries

he goes to those other places because its cheaper to fly there and get a procedure done than to do it in America because we are one of the few countries where

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/17/13 10:15 am

Healthcare is a for profit sector

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
10/17/13 10:17 am

Hmmm , sounds like you already drank the Kool-Aid ....

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/17/13 10:19 am

Wow a koolaid comment, that's a great way to advance a debate

please explain to me how America's for profit healthcare system is better than Japans system or France's or any if the healthcare systems rated higher than America's

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
10/17/13 10:20 am

Private sector ALWAYS does a better job than the Government... Obviously , you are a product if the far left education system here .... I would suggest you look up Milton Friedman.. his books show that private sector is always better

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/17/13 10:25 am

You still haven't answered how a private sector system is better! All of these countries with higher rated healthcare systems have pretty heavy government involvement while Americas system which is a predominantly private sector system is rated around average

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/17/13 10:26 am

And I went to catholic school amd public school in East Tennessee one of the most conservative areas in the state

these automatic assumptions and ad hominem attacks must do so much to advance you in life

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
10/17/13 10:42 am

Just in case you doubt his credibility , he won the 1976 Nobel Prize in economics

kscott516 EB rules
10/17/13 11:30 am

Most often the people in those developed countries take better care of themselves. They don't eat McDonalds for every meal.

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 8:13 am

Just do it. It's fare. Everyone gets it. Less stress and worry and a healthier society.

Mattwall1
10/17/13 8:15 am

Why dint people get that?

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 8:19 am

I don't know after a while we would even notice we were paying for it. Like social security, I barely think about it unless some crazy makes it an issue.

10/17/13 9:36 am

Who pays for it? Who makes the decisions about your healthcare?

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 9:51 am

My doctor and myself. Medicare is the same. Care isn't prevented. As we learn, we do stop doing unnecessary tests and procedures.

10/17/13 10:03 am

Have you ever had a family member on Medicare?

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 11:25 am

Yes, they rarely complained and the majority of the folks in my neighborhood are on it.

kscott516 EB rules
10/17/13 11:47 am

That's not how it works. Unnecessary tests are performed bc we have a litigious society. Tort reform is needed. That aside, the ACA is only a step towards single payer which will ultimately take away your ability to choose your doctor and care.

10/17/13 12:27 pm

They must not have needed it yet smaac. FIL was in hospital and Dr wanted physical therapy to get legs strong again. Denied by Medicare. FIL fell at home 1st day, even with assistance. Broken hip. Back in hospital. Which do you think cost more?

10/17/13 12:29 pm

And this scenario is repeated over and over again across the country, costing us millions. It is immoral that government is allowed to make these decisions.

kscott516 EB rules
10/17/13 12:31 pm

Ha wait til single payer. It will get tremendously worse.

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 2:37 pm

Your scenario is sad but things like that happen with private payers as well. Mistakes do happen.

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 2:41 pm

Kscott you are right to some degree about paranoia over litigation but there is also a problem with patient expectation. They have false expectations of their care.

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 2:41 pm

Such as the expectation of antibiotic. The doctor didn't give me antibiotics. He's a quack.

10/17/13 2:48 pm

Yes smaac...the DOCTOR needs to be making the medical decisions. Not some low level office person on the phone.

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 2:50 pm

It's an example of an inappropriate expectation of care.

RonaldReagan The Gipper
10/17/13 8:10 am

I always view negatively on socialism

Mattwall1
10/17/13 8:15 am

I could say the same about those who impersonate presidents :)

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 8:16 am

Why? Can't capitalism sit on top of a socialistic base of universal needs?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 10:11 am

Public parks: a resource not actually enjoyed by all, but whose cost is spread across everyone. They improve the quality of living for everyone, but most greatly those for whom they were targeted. Sounds socialist.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 10:11 am

Think about how communist you are next time you're walking your dog or pushing your kid in a swing.

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 11:28 am

I find your logic very hard to follow.

kscott516 EB rules
10/17/13 11:50 am

Lol we don't pay $10K per family/yr for national parks. Maybe a few dollars so bad comparison.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 8:08 am

Healthcare is a major driver of our economic strength as a nation. Why WOULDN'T we want to ensure a consistently healthy, less expensive workforce???

You want government to be more efficient? Let it act like the private sector.

raccoon1 SoCal
10/17/13 7:53 am

Health care is not the same as health ins coverage. Many years ago I worked at a hospital whose mission was to provide health care regardless of a persons ability to pay. Government interference with Medicare and reimburse my rates ruined that.

Mattwall1
10/17/13 8:01 am

I talked with a friend in the UK recently. She finds it an ethical imperiling for an wealthy society, including ours, and notes that while the nhs has it's issues, she is right that in most categories we are nowhere near number one. Universal systems tend to be

raccoon1 SoCal
10/17/13 7:50 am

Why stop there? How about universal home ownership? How about you give me your house?
I work in healthcare. It is on its way down, both as a profession and a provider.

10/17/13 9:59 am

Obviously the left is ok with reduced quality healthcare...

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 10:07 am

I think it's more that the medical profession doesn't like being taken off its pedestal. Access to healthcare isn't a privilege for the rich. "Quality" will always be available to those with $$$$.

10/17/13 10:37 am

Ahh, so now we get at the truth. The left hates doctors because they make money. Doesn't matter if they spent 12 years and 100k to get trained. But I know, the government will train doctors, too and universal care will cover that cost.

kscott516 EB rules
10/17/13 11:07 am

Well everyone deserves a home so...

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 12:43 pm

Of course that's what you'd hear: someone talks about fairness and you think they hate wealth.
Study economics: industries normalize. Books used to a privilege for the rich, too, and now they're in every coffee shop in America. This is normal.

10/17/13 12:46 pm

You make it sound like the poor have no access to healthcare. They have Medicaid.

10/17/13 12:51 pm

You will never be able to stop people from paying directly for their own healthcare. Universal healthcare will make the divide between rich and poor worse. Just like Canada now. Those that can afford it come here.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 12:52 pm

And everybody in between? That's where the problem lies.
This is like auto insurance. You're required to have minimum coverage for the benefit of all...because I'm tired of paying for emergency room bills for minor procedures that could be avoided.

10/17/13 1:00 pm

Yes, car insurance is the law. But lots of people still don't buy it. They won't buy health insurance either and hospitals will still not turn people away. The govt wants to lower quality to make it all "equal." Just like they did with education.

10/17/13 1:05 pm

Nothing the government touches is successful. This will be no different. And it will cost trillions more.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 1:10 pm

So just an innate hatred of the government. It wouldn't matter what facts were out in front of you.

10/17/13 1:32 pm

Ok, I will bite. Name a successful, solvent government program.

Axl752 NY
10/17/13 7:48 am

I believe the best healthcare should be a basic human right.

Axl752 NY
10/17/13 7:49 am

Its absolutely insane that if someone without insurance contracts a serious illness it can financially ruin them for the rest if their lives.

10/17/13 9:38 am

ACLU, there is not a single person in this country that will walk into a hospital and be turned away.

10/17/13 9:58 am

And you are referring to the poor or the uninsured?

Axl752 NY
10/17/13 10:05 am

Ok sure, but see my second comment too.

Axl752 NY
10/17/13 10:05 am

I am referring to the uninsured.

10/17/13 10:33 am

Ok, so mandate insurance companies cover them. And leave the rest of us the hell alone. Most "uninsured" simply won't buy it. Car insurance is the law but people still drive without.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/17/13 7:38 am

I'm for health care for all, I just find it ridiculous that because of the insurance and drug companies, most people can't afford the basic plans.

kermie gaytopia
10/17/13 7:19 am

I think it's an ethical imperative. Especially for a country as wealthy as ours.