kermie October 17th, 2013 2:12pm

News outlets are reporting that the fiscal deal Congress passed last night was originally shaped and championed by a group of women Senators. Currently less than 20% of Congress is women. Would it run better if less than 20% were men instead?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/17/13 8:44 pm

The bi-partisan women's caucus did an awesome job - I saw them interviewed on Tuesday and they were respectful and nice to each other

TomM
10/17/13 11:44 am

I don't think it's a question of gender but more about personality etc. Women like Nancy Pelosi are not really the women who could make a compromise.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/17/13 11:33 am

I'm confused. Is saying women would do a better job still sexism?

magnum
10/17/13 11:44 am

Somehow it's ok to be sexiest against men. Especially if they are white. Then you can call them whatever you want.

kermie gaytopia
10/17/13 2:02 pm

Go look up the word sexism, fellas.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/17/13 2:09 pm

Discrimination based on gender, especially the discrimination against women.
LMAO, the definition discriminates, too cool

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/17/13 8:47 pm

Sexist or not - these women did an awesome job. As pointed out above there are partisan women, like Representative Pelosi and I would suggest Sarah Palin. But that wasn't these women, they were non-conformational, focused, and willing to compromise

kc10
10/17/13 10:58 am

Having more women representation keeps things saner with less hubris, imho...

magnum
10/17/13 9:56 am

Yes. Becky would get in a fight with Tricia over who's boyfriend is hotter and then Tricia and Becky wouldn't talk for 27 years.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/17/13 8:27 am

I don't see how it would change anything, really. They're still part of the same parties and represent the same people. In theory - every congressperson is doing what they feel is best for the people of the United States (some in smaller districts

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/17/13 8:28 am

than others). Perhaps there would be less finger pointing, but if you watch speeches of those who are currently in Congress - I don't think it would be drastically different.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/17/13 8:49 pm

MrL - did you see these women interviewed? They were far from "politics as usual." They were different. It was a breath of fresh air to watch them sit side by side and converse

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/17/13 8:55 pm

Eh, I don't think it would change anything. I don't view this as an issue of which sex the leader is. It's the individual.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 8:21 am

I always question the judgment when too many Y-chromosomes are involved.

As Robin Williams said about men: if we can't fu€% it, we'll kill it.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 9:43 am

You must really hate men, then.What a sexist!

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/17/13 9:49 am

Don't get me wrong, too much estrogen can be just as damaging....and a he11 of a lot more confusing.

wiildkat Propertarian
10/17/13 8:06 am

I don't think there would be any less corruption.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/17/13 8:06 am

Woman leaders are an excellent idea.

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/17/13 7:57 am

I think congress needs to represent the overall demographics of the country. It shouldn't be 80% any sex or ethnicity. A better informed populace and campaign finance reform would help us start to even out congress.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 7:35 am

That explains why the deal was so terrible.

aj1545 Cat Lady
10/17/13 8:21 am

Never miss an opportunity for misogyny...

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 8:28 am

What? What do you mean? Just because a group of women came up with it, doesn't make the deal any less terrible for the Country. Women are capable of terrible ideas. Their vaginas don't spare them scrutiny.

aj1545 Cat Lady
10/17/13 8:30 am

"That's why the deal was so terrible" as a response to the question says the fact that they were women is why the deal was bad. A bad deal is because of bad decisions, not because of sex.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 8:36 am

Yes, and this is why women make terrible comedians. Learn how to take a joke, and stop going out of your way to be offended. You'll be much happier. With that said, apparently someone thought their vaginas had something to do with it, otherwise it wouldn't be reported.

eLucidate writing
10/17/13 7:20 am

I don't know that it would be better so slanted the other way; closer to 50/50 would be better.

MJSeals J.D.
10/17/13 7:19 am

Partisanship is partisanship gender wouldn't really matter

kermie gaytopia
10/17/13 7:13 am

Well it certainty couldn't run worse lol

To be serious though, I do think women are more likely to put ego and partisanship aside. Whether that's a good thing is up for debate. I don't necessarily like the "deal" they came up with, for example.

dawl adulting
10/17/13 7:21 am

I agree, I think most women aren't as stubborn about that stuff. A little less ego that the males in there seem to cling to.

MrMilkdud
10/17/13 7:52 am

I don't know where you guys are getting your impressions on this- mine is the opposite.
I've worked in a female dominated field most of my career, most of my bosses have been female.
Women can be just as underhanded and unprofessional as men.

MrMilkdud
10/17/13 7:54 am

I can't count how many times I've had female bosses plot to sabotage other female execs for no other reason than personally disliking the other person.
I'm not saying men are better, but they certainly aren't worse.

MrMilkdud
10/17/13 7:56 am

I think it comes down to the individual, and, in general, people who go into
politics have personal power motivations that supersede their promises to promote the common good.

kermie gaytopia
10/17/13 2:00 pm

Well certainly it will vary on an individual basis. Most of the women I've worked with have been very cooperative with each other.

MrMilkdud
10/17/13 2:02 pm

Then the women I've worked with would eat them for breakfast.