Praetorianus October 17th, 2013 4:54am

A twelve year old girl killed herself after cyberbullying and two bullies were arrested and are without remorse. Link in comments. It's difficult to find appropriate charges though. Do you think cb that leads to death should carry felony charges?

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 11:16 am

Battery? Over a computer? When you choose to have the computer on? That's 100 percent your fault.

tayen Illinois
10/17/13 6:12 am

I believe in IL there is a law where you can be charged with manslaughter if your cyberbullying leads to a suicide. I don't think it should go entirely unpunished; physically beating a person up has consequences. Attacking with words is more harmful.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 7:56 am

Really? You kids need to learn a little phrase that we learned before Liberalism was able to run rampant. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" Oh, and learn how to turn your computer off. I just stopped bullying. You're welcome, again, America.

tayen Illinois
10/17/13 10:57 am

Broken bones heal. Words, once heard or seen, aren't easily forgotten, if at all. One hurtful thing we say can affect a person for years. That cliche is one of the biggest lies I've heard. Bullying doesn't end with a power button; especially since

tayen Illinois
10/17/13 10:57 am

the computer or phone will need to be turned on again at some point.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 11:14 am

See what nonsense Liberals are brainwashing our kids with? Or is it just occupied Illinois?

tayen Illinois
10/17/13 11:17 am

Running away isn't always a solution, particularly when it is necessary to come back.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 11:31 am

There's no running involved. Only a quick push of a button. Poof! Bully is gone! You're welcome.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 11:32 am

Now real bullying requires standing your ground.

tayen Illinois
10/17/13 11:33 am

Only until that computer is needed again, as it will be. It's running away because nothing is done to prevent it when pushing the button again is necessary. There's a difference between an insult or two and bullying in a harassing way, too.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 11:43 am

I'm not talking about running away, I'm talking about ignoring it. Its pretty easy to do. If you're "cyberbullied", then its your fault. Certainly no reason to kill yourself over. I'm betting tgat the girl, who committed suicide, had a terrible home life. There's definitely more to it.

tayen Illinois
10/17/13 11:48 am

If it's a "you're ugly" or "you're stupid" a handful of times, yeah, ignoring it works. I've had that happen. If its ongoing, turning the screen off for a few hours won't be the end of it. There could be more to it, but the kids aren't innocent.

Carolinaaa My name is not Carol.
10/17/13 5:52 am

The bullying didn't lead to death, only to hurt feelings. The girl made the decision to commit suicide in her own free will. It's a terribly sad story, but I don't believe the bullies can or should be charged with the girl's death.

elizabennet88
10/17/13 7:03 am

I agree that they shouldn't be charged with the girl's death, but I think they should be charged with a felony for bullying that led to a death. Words are powerful and people, young and old, need to learn that using them irresponsibly comes with consequences.

Carolinaaa My name is not Carol.
10/17/13 10:18 am

The action they should be charged with is bullying, period. Because that's what they did. They didn't bully in any particularly special way called "bullying that leads to death." They just bullied. The point of our judicial system isn't to provide...

Carolinaaa My name is not Carol.
10/17/13 10:20 am

...surrogate parental discipline, it's to bring justice to those who commit crimes. That means it must be unemotional, logical, and undeniably tic-for-tac.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 5:47 am

So a twelve year old couldn't figure out there's a power button on her computer? Sounds like the girl had more issues than just a couple of assholes harassing her. Probably had a terrible home life now the terrible mom wants to blame a couple of stupid teens for her terrible parenting skills.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/17/13 5:48 am

Its sad that society has come to this.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/17/13 4:26 am

No. Punish the action, not the results.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/17/13 4:53 am

I have to correct myself. The suicide is actually not a result of the interactions, as a separate human decision must be made to accomplish it.

jonfrei the boonies
10/16/13 11:07 pm

I personally think a felony murder charge is appropriate.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 11:18 pm

Imagine she'd have killed herself after sexual molestation. Many would scream death penalty. But dead is dead, it should play no role which despicable act drives a kid to suicide, they're just as dead.

jonfrei the boonies
10/16/13 11:23 pm

I would consider it appropriate there as well.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 11:25 pm

So would I. I used it as example for double standard. Cyberbullying is still seen as harmless by many. I think there have been 12 recent suicides because of it and it's not like a childish prank or schoolyard tussle.

Mattwall1
10/16/13 11:33 pm

I know some have said to "just turn the phone off" the problem is not only do you let the harassers win, given that technology is having a large role in social relationships, that's like if when my dad grew up in the 70s he was locked in his house from the

Mattwall1
10/16/13 11:34 pm

End of school to when he left the next morning, but if he tried to leave to hang out with friends, wild tigers tried to devour him.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/17/13 12:23 am

The phone is the biggest problem. You can privatize facebook a lot, twitter is imo not important, and you can set email filters but once your phone# leaks out, and it will unless you are extremely private, you can get SMS and mailbox bullying.

smacc DunningKruger
10/16/13 10:56 pm

Should this be a crime before there is a death?

Mattwall1
10/16/13 11:12 pm

Should? Yes. Is there? No

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 11:21 pm

Some crimes get judged by what damage they cause. Take arson. If a building burns is one thing, if someone dies in it another. Both are crimes, but the severity of damage decides the sentence. Should be the same here.

Mattwall1
10/16/13 11:25 pm

I agree with you praet. If you don't kind ill re ask this tomorrow since I now have a 500 vote cap it won't close in 5 minutes

Mattwall1
10/16/13 11:29 pm

Mind*
Thanks it's a good question and needs to be asked.

smacc DunningKruger
10/16/13 11:31 pm

Agreed attempted murder should carry the same sentence as murder. Just because it failed doesn't make them less evil, just less skilled.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/17/13 12:05 am

Provided like in this case the bullies in fact told her to kill herself and were serious. Would you charge everyone who tells someone to "just off yourself" with murder? It has to be persistent and serious, and that's a slippery slope.

smacc DunningKruger
10/17/13 7:28 am

I agree but I voted no to this being a felony. As morally bereft as these people are they did not commit murder. Harassment yes.

rightway101 the thought provoker
10/16/13 10:52 pm

I have to say no, but with reluctance. She jumped off a building for God sakes. can you imagine those last few moments standing on the edge?

Mattwall1
10/16/13 11:14 pm

The two cyber harassers shouldn't be charged because of how she committed the suicide they effectively pushed her into, or am I misreading?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 10:20 pm

Also, I think it's one of the crimes where teens should be tried as adults in certain cases. The way the 15 y/o "ringleader" reacted on arrest, saying something like "I don't give a damn" justifies it.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/16/13 10:07 pm

Put those b*tches in a boot camp with me.

No that's a bad idea I would do the same thing to them that they did do that girl.

smacc DunningKruger
10/16/13 10:53 pm

I'm for it then. Do your worst.

Kris Humidity Central
10/16/13 10:08 pm

Beach, its not really my place to say this, but I've seen a few polls on this subject. I really think maybe now would be a good time for you to take a break from the comment section in those polls, alright? It's not worth the stress & emotion, right?

Kris Humidity Central
10/16/13 10:00 pm

Call me heartless, but no.

I do think those who show no remorse though should have a psychological analysis and try to be rehabilitated so they can fit in amongst society, while they serve a sentence for their crime.

But a felony, at a young age..

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 9:56 pm

I think a new law should be made for this new crime and extended to traditional bullying. And I reject the idea to charge the parents. The girls are ice cold and heartless.

Mattwall1
10/16/13 10:13 pm

What's your vote limit? If its beyond basic, can I share this poll?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 10:18 pm

I think there's only a COMMENT limit of 100, which I have, not a vote limit though.I'm not 100% sure.

Posco BBQ Enthusiast
10/16/13 10:20 pm

If you don't have the upgrade the question closes after 100 votes.