Praetorianus October 17th, 2013 4:17am

An old German word for suicide translates to "free (voluntary) death". Do you believe it is possible that someone who isn't depressed, desperate, in constant pain or terminally ill out of FREE WILL commits suicide simply because he's had enough?

Liberty 4,032,064
10/17/13 5:01 am

If I'm ever old, my wife has died, and I'm no longer working, I'd definitely be "ready to go."

skinner Wisconsin
10/17/13 3:15 am

They are ever pressed enough to take their own life. There are always other options.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/17/13 12:38 am

Anything's possible, but that's probably very, very rare. Every new day holds so many possibilities - even a marginally positive person would want to live just out of curiosity!

dryanmorr
10/16/13 10:38 pm

I believe most suicides are done by their own free will, depression or not.

TierasPet
10/16/13 10:34 pm

I believe most people who try or commit suicide without a mental reason are pressed to that point by some specific event.

smacc DunningKruger
10/16/13 10:00 pm

No, I don't think so.
I don't understand your answer choices at all.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 10:28 pm

Then you vote pressed, that's what choices are for.

Kris Humidity Central
10/16/13 9:27 pm

We had a friend who was honestly the most stable among us who committed suicide.
He left a note, that pretty much said what the polls says, that he wasn't depressed or stressed, just bored with this life, and curious if there was something else.

Mattwall1
10/16/13 9:26 pm

Well the Romans had honor suicides so nobles in bad honor could kill themselves and allow there family to inherit property instead of it becoming confiscated. Similar with the Japanese, as well, if that's what you're meaning

Mattwall1
10/16/13 9:33 pm

And George Eastman killed himself the minute he got terminally ill to prevent his family and workers (yeah he cared about them unlike most of his time) undue burden and long term pain or debt

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 9:46 pm

These are still motives of honor or altruism. I mean just because someone thinks he's lived enough and wants to go. It could be he's very old and thinks "seen it all, done it all".

Mattwall1
10/16/13 9:49 pm

Oh. Sure it's possible although I haven't seen any case of it personally. Sorry

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/16/13 9:20 pm

Interestingly, another word for suicidal translates to life-tired. It's rare but I think it's possible someone calls it quits without feeling pressed by suffering simply because he's bored by or tired of living.

smacc DunningKruger