trepidhickory October 17th, 2013 3:19am

The most tolerant person must also be one of the most bigoted and racist people alive. Agree or Disagree?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/16/13 9:35 pm

Tolerating a differing viewpoint doesn't have to mean condoning it. It just means living, and letting live.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/16/13 8:52 pm

.the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

that's the definition of tolerance

MisterE Conservistan
10/16/13 9:07 pm

That doesn't mean that they are tolerant of other people's opinions.

megomez712 Vagabond
10/16/13 8:43 pm

I can't picture the most bigoted and racist people alive being tolerant whatsoever.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/16/13 8:50 pm

Tolerance is allowing someone to do something even though you disapprove of the person or action

for instance a racist person can tolerate civil rights a non racist person accepts civil rights

megomez712 Vagabond
10/16/13 8:55 pm

But the MOST racist and bigoted people probably don't tolerate much. Hence hate crime laws

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/16/13 8:58 pm

In order to be the most tolerant person you must tolerate the most things

hence an extremely bigoted amd racist person would be the most tolerant person

megomez712 Vagabond
10/16/13 9:04 pm

Unless an extremely racist or bigoted person couldn't hold their tongue. I get what ur trying to say but I don't think ur theory works in this situation.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/16/13 8:29 pm

I imagine the most "tolerant" person to be the most fatigued. I really hate the word "tolerance." One of the most over- and misused words ever.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/16/13 8:51 pm

Most people mean acceptance when they say tolerance

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/16/13 9:20 pm

Yeah, I know. I hate it. Tolerance is almost the opposite of acceptance.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/16/13 9:38 pm

For once, we agree. Folks always try to pin the 'intolerant' label on me for my views on homosexuality.
But what they fail to see is that I'm fine with living peacefully with those around me, and minding my own business so long as they mind theirs.

willthehuman Suburbia
10/16/13 8:25 pm

Not "must" but often those who claim extreme tolerance are intolerant of oppositional viewpoints. To be most tolerant you have to allow everybody to think for themselves, and be ok with the result of said thought, even if you disagree.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/16/13 8:28 pm

tolerance is allowing people to live their life even though you don't like what they are doing

Happy Hong Kong
10/16/13 8:24 pm

They must be the most apathetic.

I find that the key part of tolerance is not giving a fig about what others say or do.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
10/16/13 8:23 pm

Remember there is a HUGE difference between tolerance and acceptance.

You tolerate a fly being in the room you accept your kid being in the room

Happy Hong Kong
10/16/13 8:27 pm

Or as someone else once said (I think Penn Jillette): I tolerate the fact that you have beliefs, but I don't have to respect them.