Liberty October 16th, 2013 2:31pm

Link in comments: The video shows a man intervening to protect another individual against an armed assailant. The assailant in this case, is a cop. Pick a side.

skinner Jersey City
10/16/13 12:12 pm

It looked like the police officer was just trying to subdue the guy. The way those thugs kicked him while he was down leads me to believe they had violent intent

10/16/13 12:15 pm

The cop didn't first demonstrate violent intent by grabbing and then pointing a gun or taser at the drunk guy?

10/16/13 12:27 pm

skinner Jersey City
10/16/13 12:37 pm

Yeah liberty we don't know what happened in the moments before the video started

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/16/13 12:37 pm

@ Liberty: First? All there is is a middle.

10/16/13 12:43 pm

I agree that we don't know the whole story. But for that reason, you can't pass judgment on the drunk guy and his defender anymore than you could pass judgment against the cop.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/16/13 12:51 pm

But, with all respect, That is why you made this poll. To pick a side from a snippet of time.

10/16/13 12:54 pm

Oops - stuck the above response in the wrong place - visualize it down one thread... ;)

10/16/13 12:57 pm

That is why I made this poll. If the answer was 100% clear, I wouldn't have.

What I find interesting is when people automatically give more credibility to the man in a uniform, rather than looking at it objectively.

10/16/13 12:58 pm

I see a drunk guy being accosted, then threatened with a firearm or taser by a stranger, then a third guy stepping in to help and diffuse the situation.

10/16/13 1:01 pm

You have a very twisted perspective for so little context and basically zero facts. I see someone resisting arrest and someone else assaulting a cop. Who's right? We can't know with what we have. You are being intentionally divisive.

10/16/13 1:03 pm

No, I'm just being objective.
The only difference between what I said and what you said is the language.

10/16/13 1:06 pm

I see the concept of legal standing totally escapes you, if you truly believe that.

10/16/13 1:07 pm

Happy to continue later - must get back to bed because I work tonight...

10/16/13 1:08 pm

That's my point. The legal standing of the uniformed individual over the others skews the perspective of what is happening.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/16/13 1:10 pm

Wow. Liberty, again no offense meant, but although I usually enjoy most of your polls, this one is a bit whacked. If you showed us two letters and asked which one was in the wrong, it would be as valid.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/16/13 1:17 pm

Context is everything. If you are asked did Prescott Bush earn all of his money, some would say yes. If you learn that much of his wealth came from supplying the Nazis, does that change your opinion?

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/16/13 1:17 pm

Considering how much the Nazis used stolen items to fund themselves..

10/16/13 4:29 pm

Remember that cops don't stand on their own authority. They are hired and empowered by a government entity. The uniform is a visual indication of the authority they carry /on behalf of the empowering entity/. (In my case, a city.)

10/16/13 4:30 pm

Yes, that changes my standing - as it both should & must.

10/16/13 12:08 pm

Video quality is poor. Context is non-existent. VERY bad officer-safety. Regardless, if that was VA & a real cop, both would go in for felony assault on LE & they are both very lucky he did not shift to deadly force.

10/16/13 12:16 pm

Kinda hypocritical that the guy initiating the conflict wouldn't face charges, but the one who safely diffused it could face a felony.

10/16/13 12:19 pm

Like I said, context here is non-existent. That said, you are making way too many assumptions. And yes, if he was a real cop, assaulting him is an automatic felony here in VA (same with rescue & fire).

10/16/13 12:22 pm

I agree that the prelude is necessary to make a judgment on this situation. I'm just remarking on the fact that the law protects its enforcers more so than lower citizens.

10/16/13 12:55 pm

Re-posted in the right place: Thank you, but I'll take every extra layer of protection I can get when I'm out working the streets.

10/16/13 1:00 pm

I would as well, but isn't it wrong for one individual to be more protected by the law than another.

10/16/13 1:05 pm

No. My job puts me in harms way. You as a civilian have the option of walking away from a situation. I'm stuck with handling it. That's why I wear body armor, carry a taser & a gun...

dustbunny
10/16/13 11:31 am

To me it seemed the cop or rent a cop was trying to make some sort of arrest and the big brute was being non cooperative. Rentacop shouldn't have given his back to the other guy.
The two guys were in the wrong for attacking the cop.

MRVancouver
10/16/13 8:43 am

Honestly it is hard to say without really knowing what is going on. This clip hardly gives proper context. I would stay neutral until I saw the full altercation.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/16/13 8:41 am

I'll smack a rent a cop down also.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/16/13 8:15 am

Looked like security guard. Had to change my vote to cop. Suspect seemed belligerent. Kept kicking. Helper was too confident. Wouldn't have done that to a real cop.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/16/13 8:17 am

Watch the video a little more closely. The cop was a rent-a-cop. If it was a cop, 5 squads would've been there in a heartbeat. And the two friends would've jumped in their car and bolted.

10/16/13 8:19 am

I'd almost agree with you, but the flashing lights are blue, which is illegal for anyone but government police. Also, police regularly patrol alone.

10/16/13 8:20 am

The man being accosted was obviously drunk, which is likely why the cop was accosting him. The man in blue also stopped the drunk guy from stacking the cop while he was down.

I'd say "job well done."

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/16/13 8:38 am

Okay. Thanks. I watch the video more closely.

10/16/13 12:03 pm

Haven't watched yet, but light color varies state to state - for example, in NY, blue lights are for volunteer fire/rescue (personal vehicles) only & police, fire & rescue are red.

10/16/13 12:07 pm

Good point. You could be right.

Cole12 ...
10/16/13 7:38 am

We should start a Kickstarter for this guy and send him on a trip or something. He's a true American.

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
10/16/13 7:35 am

In all seriousness, this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

10/16/13 7:34 am

I can't get over how heroically and properly the man acted. He diffused the situation in exactly the necessary manner without harming anyone.

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/16/13 7:36 am

That was a taser the cop hit the original "suspect" with? And do you know what resulted here?

10/16/13 7:39 am

I don't know the answer to either of those, but I'd say it could've been a taser from the way he held it.

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/16/13 7:49 am

Ah. Regardless, very impressive by that man. Thanks for sharing.