Kay41 October 16th, 2013 12:41am

According to a report by the National Resources Defense Council, the average American tosses away about 25% of the food and beverages they purchase. Do you consider yourself more or less wasteful than the average American?

jvc1133 61535
10/16/13 1:14 pm

Living alone I like to fix my meals, I will have leftovers, if i or the dog doesn't they are pitched

gonzoboy Northern AZ
10/16/13 3:54 am

When I was a little kid (some folks would say that'd be recently!), I would finish any left-overs that my family left on their plates. My Mother endearingly referred to me as her "Human garbage disposal". :D

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
10/16/13 1:06 am

I said more because if not for the dogs we would probably waste 40-45% of food. Fruit and veggies that sit till they go bad along with leftovers. Dogs get leftovers and limp veggies. Fruit goes down the garbage disposal.

fourwinds box of rain
10/15/13 11:04 pm

I try not to waste leftovers, and don't usually buy bottled drinks or water. But I could do a lot better, especially with produce that tends to go bad really fast sometimes.

Not to nitpick, but it's actually the NATURAL Resources Defense Council.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/15/13 8:54 pm

More - I've had surgery that only allows me to eat very small portions - I don't consider it being "bad" and "wasteful" when I leave food - I consider it healthy

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/15/13 8:24 pm

I refuse to waste food, I don't care how not hungry I am. I'm going to eat it somehow, it's just the way I was raised.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
10/15/13 6:48 pm

I said yes because if I don't finish something then I give it to somebody who wants it. My boyfriends have always loved that about me because they get two dinners that way

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
10/15/13 6:49 pm

And I only drink water so any water I do not finish, I throw outside on the grass and I don't think that is wasteful at all

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
10/15/13 6:37 pm

We don't throw out a ton of stuff in the fridge, but I usually don't clean my plate 100%.

icytoes the tepid north
10/15/13 6:21 pm

Not since we started meal planning. We used to throw away a lot.

susanr Colorado
10/15/13 6:11 pm

Less. I happily eat leftovers, and try hard not to have any food go bad.

gonzoboy Northern AZ
10/15/13 5:57 pm

I don't throw away food. I give it to my neighbors dog.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/15/13 5:53 pm

I don't throw food away. I give it to my dog.

LochnessMonster Milky way
10/15/13 5:46 pm

I try not to but it happens way more than I would like.

TomM
10/15/13 5:45 pm

I have never counted, but I guess wasteful because I'm bad at planning and regularly end up with something left over, I have to toss.