KatG October 15th, 2013 10:46pm

A man in my area recently went for a walk with his wife. He accidently shot her when his gun fell out of his pants (no holster) and discharged. Would it be reasononable to ban him and other irresponsible gun owners after a careless accident...or not?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/16/13 6:50 am

No - he still has a constitutional right, but it would be reasonable to charge him with reckless discharge and any other crime that fits

GoFlo Peace Through Strength
10/16/13 6:43 am

If it was really an accident, then no, don't ban him.

ozzy
10/16/13 4:27 am

It's is called an accident, not irresponsibility. Gun control is irresponsible.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
10/16/13 5:12 am

Not having your gun properly secured (safety off, no holster) is not irresponsible?

ozzy
10/16/13 7:22 am

All gun owners should have to take a safety class.

ajpreyes Laveen
10/16/13 12:39 am

We have to take two tests to get a drivers license, in some cases also a class & getting retested periodically as well as mandatory insurance, registration & inspection on a car.

I just need cash to buy a gun. There's a fundamental problem here.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/15/13 9:45 pm

I do think it is reasonable to restrict your rights for some period of time after your carelessness proves you are a menace. Firearms safety is just not that complicated.

thebob Medford Oregon
10/15/13 9:37 pm

He's gonna feel bad enough after shooting his wife. At least I hope there is guilt and remorse.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/15/13 9:29 pm

Accidents in cars and w guns are different. But since there are 100,000 plus drivers still texting while driving and a few on SOH while driving, I say give the gun guy a safety class during his football games and then carry on.

Evseng2
10/16/13 9:26 am

Safety classes aren't gonna help!
The gun is gonna have the same attitude.. "This won't happen again"

Just like the stupid people who say "ill text and drive.. Nothing affects me"

larkspur one race. human.
10/15/13 9:21 pm

Would you even want to carry a gun after this?

jonfrei the boonies
10/15/13 6:45 pm

Only if we also revoke driver's licenses every time someone has an accident in a car or on a motorcycle. If you want to play fair, I'm in.

Evseng2
10/15/13 7:27 pm

You take necessary precautions when carrying a gun. You take necessary precautions when driving a car.

THIS MAN DID NOT take precautions when carrying this gun.

However, accidents STILL occur when you take precautions in a car

Evseng2
10/15/13 7:28 pm

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Cars have accidents that's not always caused by carelessness

What KatG described there is sheet carelessness.

jonfrei the boonies
10/16/13 3:17 am

Car accidents almost always result from /someone's/ carelessness or negligence. Even those caused by mechanical failure can generally be tracked back to lack of or poor/improper maintenance. Apples & apples.

Evseng2
10/16/13 9:24 am

All this is is that you're a stupid gun lover who can't understand why some people DONT DESERVE to touch a gun because they are clueless.

When you get down to it.. It is VERY different than a car accident

jonfrei the boonies
10/16/13 11:25 am

No more than some people don't deserve to touch a car because every time they do they put the general public around them at risk. I see a whole lot more MVA deaths & DUI homicides than I do gun /injuries/ (let alone deaths!). If anything, cars win.

kelsey498 Colorado
10/15/13 6:08 pm

If it were my husband he'd be banned from having a gun. Idiot.

jonfrei the boonies
10/16/13 3:19 am

Yeah - I had a girlfriend who told me I had to choose her or my guns. I didn't even miss her for a minute...

kelsey498 Colorado
10/16/13 9:01 am

That's pretty unfortunate. I'm only saying if my husband were to be an idiot and shoot me in the leg. No ultimatum if he's smart enough to carry one.

jonfrei the boonies
10/16/13 11:23 am

I understand what you meant. I think it is pretty hilarious how many folks will give each other ultimatums over things. Remember that the day you don't follow through is the day you lose all "power" in your "negotiations."

Sean Go Devils
10/15/13 6:08 pm

Was this guy an idiot for not using a holster. Hell yeah but banning? No

More people die from car crashes than guns, so by busing that logic for everyone who said yes, would you be ok to ban someone for driving or owning a motorized vehicle ...

Sean Go Devils
10/15/13 6:09 pm

after that person was involved in any type of crash, caught speeding, not using blinkers, etc

MomRunner own the beer run
10/15/13 5:00 pm

Exactly how did it fall out of his pants and accidentally discharge. Sorry. But that makes absolutely no sense.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
10/15/13 6:00 pm

He had it tucked into his pants.....it fell to the ground and discharged. I'm guessing the dumb bunny didn't have the safety on.

lectrik Silly gas guzzling Prius
10/15/13 9:07 pm

I already have one loaded gun in my pants.

dawl adulting
10/15/13 4:15 pm

He's really lucky that wasn't someone else's wife- or kid. Why the hell do you need to be packing to take a stroll with your wife? Unless this was no "accident" lol.

LochnessMonster Milky way
10/15/13 4:25 pm

Where I grew up it was a nice area surrounded by ghetto. Nice parks and all but still lots of crime going on. Sadly I myself packed heat for a long time and have needed it but no one got hurt.

dawl adulting
10/15/13 4:32 pm

Sorry to hear that- I'm happy you knew what your were doing, clearly this guy is a moron. I'm not convinced it was an accident haha.

LochnessMonster Milky way
10/15/13 4:43 pm

Haha sadly I'm not either. But you never know. There's always 3 sides to the story. And yes I grew up around guns and the first thing I learned was to respect the gun. Treat it like a child. It needs to be strapped in just like a baby in a car seat.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/15/13 4:08 pm

He should be charged with a crime, manslaughter.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/15/13 4:15 pm

Not sure she died?

KatG Liberal in Ohio
10/15/13 6:00 pm

No, she didn't die. She was shot in the leg. Still....he's an idiot.

Fjolsvin Midgard
10/15/13 3:56 pm

Auto accidents kill far more people than fire arm accidents. Yet we do not ban poor drivers from owning cars. Shall not be infringed is a very clear statement.

rolltribe Ohio
10/15/13 4:01 pm

We've taken a lot of action to lower fatality rates from car accidents since the 70's and it's worked dramatically.

That argument makes more sense from the gun control perspective

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/15/13 4:01 pm

Yeah...but we also don't let them get behind the wheel before ensuring they know what the hell they're doing. It's insanely irresponsible for us as a nation to do nothing to ensure a person buying a weapon at least knows what they should/shouldn't do

kermie gaytopia
10/15/13 4:02 pm

Actually we do take licenses away from reckless drivers.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/15/13 4:02 pm

We DO ban them from driving, though, for at least a period of time. So would you be okay with banning such a person, not from owning a gun, but from carrying/using it?

LochnessMonster Milky way
10/15/13 3:52 pm

I'm a firm believer in owning guns. But when you're that careless and someone gets killed you don't deserve one.

kermie gaytopia
10/15/13 3:51 pm

More than fucking reasonable. And any adult who allows a child to get ahold of their gun should be banned as well. I'm sick of hearing about these tragic "accidents." It's no damn accident.

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/15/13 3:53 pm

I'm not sure I agree with the "no damn accident", but is certainly is careless.

Cole12 ...
10/15/13 3:51 pm

"...shall not be infringed." 'Nuff said.

kermie gaytopia
10/15/13 3:52 pm

Lol you're funny.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/15/13 4:22 pm

No it's not "nuff said." You can have your gun but if you prove yourself unable to handle that responsibility it shall be infringed on.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/15/13 3:50 pm

Is that a gun in your pants or... *BANG.*

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/15/13 3:49 pm

I think so....but I also think you shouldn't be able to own a gun unless you've gone through and passed a gun safety class. I know.....I'm a communist.

jonfrei the boonies
10/16/13 3:25 am

No, I don't think you are a communist, but I don't think you see the slippery slope you are standing at. You are talking about tacking qualifications and restrictions onto a right. Very slippery slope.