JiveYoungKing October 15th, 2013 7:34pm

Have you seen the recent video of the interaction between two police officers in Philadelphia and two pedestrians? (Link in comments)

pisomojado
10/16/13 7:44 am

In a white neighborhood I used to work in there was a corner where police would often stop cars. I kept track over about a year. About 3/4 of the drivers were black.

MJSeals J.D.
10/15/13 5:31 pm

Jive if you are not following SpeakerAFly can you do so? I want you to apply to be in his virtual congress

10/15/13 6:12 pm

Ah, really? I'm kind of ignorant in regards to legislation type stuff haha... But I'll try it out I guess. Thanks for the suggestion.

MJSeals J.D.
10/15/13 7:33 pm

Jive if you have followed AFLY you can run for the presidents cabinet (just following AFLY makes you a congressman)

MJSeals J.D.
10/15/13 7:36 pm

Also declare your interest in running AFly's last poll ( the one on secretary of education)

Rosebud Ohio
10/15/13 4:38 pm

Am I the only one who got very distorted sound? To the point I can't understand a word any of them say. Almost like only the sound is in slow motion

10/15/13 6:11 pm

I can send you a video link to a news commentary piece on it if you still having trouble

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/15/13 4:18 pm

It's disgustingly racist. Watching the video, i would have thought the cop was the thug. Constantly swearing and yelling when they were nothing but respectful.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/15/13 5:23 pm

Who says he's not?

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/15/13 6:15 pm

He's treating the kids like they were the thugs. It's just ironic, because HE is the thug is that situation.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/15/13 6:16 pm

Exactly.

jrvrn Philly suburb
10/15/13 1:57 pm

I am disgusted. I know Philly and can see why the cops are jaded, but that is so out of the realm of professional conduct it is truly disturbing. I couldn't imagine being accosted by a cop just for acknowledging someone. And that is life for many ppl

camigirl
10/15/13 1:49 pm

America of 2013, everybody!

presleyc5 tejas
10/15/13 1:35 pm

Wtf?!! This is completely disgusting! Talk about "walking while black". These 2 need to be fired and fined or something worse. Those out there who think stop and frisk is a good policy are SO outta touch with reality! This is weird to say, but I'm so

presleyc5 tejas
10/15/13 1:37 pm

Glad I live in a city where whites are the minority. Because of this, a majority of our cops are minorities. I think for this reason, along with others, this kinda thing doesn't really happen here. I wonder what the passers by did? I don't think I

presleyc5 tejas
10/15/13 1:38 pm

Could have just walked by. I probably would've ended up in the back of the cop car too lol!!!

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/15/13 1:33 pm

It's a shame, and to be frank, discriminatory. I didn't say racist, bc I'm not 100% convinced this shit isn't directed against anyone in a poor neighborhood, just like it would not be tolerated in a mid/upper class one regardless of race. It seems...

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/15/13 1:35 pm

...that "inner-city" police just lose their minds - or at least their professionalism. Try something like that in my neighborhood, and everyone would be up in arms. Very sad that this is the state of our nation.

LochnessMonster Milky way
10/15/13 1:32 pm

That is exactly why I have no respect for cops. And I will never help a cop in any way.

presleyc5 tejas
10/15/13 1:41 pm

While this kind of behavior is horrible, I'm sad that it gives you such a bad taste for all cops. Good ones do exist. I have several in my family and few that are friends. Unfortunately things like this are what's in the media, not the good stuff :(

camigirl
10/15/13 1:48 pm

I agree Presley.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/15/13 1:31 pm

We had/have a case out here Terrance Franklin. Bad is putting it gently. Good kid. I do graphic design for a Green Party candidate for city council. He used to date her daughter.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/15/13 1:33 pm

After the cops finished with him, they cut out a 5' square of concrete to destroy the evidence. That never makes it into the news. Or the flashlight butt dent in his forehead.
Been said that at least in the south, racism is in the open.

Cole12 ...
10/15/13 1:26 pm

I'm disgusted that something like this would happen in my state.

Posco BBQ Enthusiast
10/15/13 1:14 pm

Yeah fuck those cops.

Ghostreconss mars
10/15/13 12:55 pm

Huh. And this whole time I was unaware it's illegal to say hello to a stranger. With all these charges I'll never be back on SoH sorry guys :/

10/15/13 12:58 pm

I'd try to convince you otherwise, but any further contact and I might end up on a cruiser's hood.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/15/13 1:03 pm

Well, after all, how do I know that you know that I know what you don't know about radios.
NOW PUT DOWN THE *********** PHONE YOU ******* PIECE OF *********! Just protecting and serving...

MisterE Conservistan
10/15/13 1:46 pm

You follow laws!?

Skarface Banned
10/15/13 12:45 pm

Yeah, it's super racist and assholish. People wonder why I don't like cops, and it's because sh*t like this is always coming to light.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/15/13 12:39 pm

That's disgusting. The assailants should at the least, be fired from their positions.

10/15/13 12:40 pm

At the very least. Imagine them doing that to some Wall Street cat. Or some white dude in a nice suit. Wouldn't happen.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/15/13 12:44 pm

It started out with just minorities, but it happens to everyone nowadays.

10/15/13 12:46 pm

Since I've started educating myself on our society, I've learned and stand by that they discriminate by economic status more than race. It's all about dollar bills at the end of the day, and it's f**king sickening.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/15/13 12:49 pm

They probably figured that these guys wouldn't have any clue what to do, so they could just use them blow some steam. The poor do make easier targets for this sort of thing, but a traffic stop could end poorly for anyone if the cop wants it to.

10/15/13 12:59 pm

Gotta fill them quotas man. Y'know, cause criminals collectively decide how much crime is gonna go down each month. That's just the price for law, order, and justice fam...

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/15/13 12:37 pm

You already know how I feel about that...
Just terrible. Hopefully the investigation yields positive results.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/15/13 12:38 pm

I still don't believe individuals like these to be in the majority. As in any other occupation(s), there are both good and bad people. The bad tend to stick out, but they are (usually) in the minority.

10/15/13 12:41 pm

Absolutely agree. It's an ugly minority; as a potential and practically defenseless target, I gotta bring awareness to them.

10/15/13 12:35 pm

www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/12/philly-cops-recorded-in-racially-abusive-stop-and-frisk-all-you-do-is-weaken-the-f-ing-country/

While I will continue to bring up negative stories on police, it's not so anyone thinks this is how they all are.

10/15/13 12:36 pm

That'd be irresponsible for me to do and ignorant for anyone to think. I'd like to think the majority of cops are good people, but we (least I do as a young, poor, black male) have to be aware that it exists.

10/15/13 12:39 pm

www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/414/transcript

Go to act 2 and read (or listen, the audio version link is at the top of that page) about Adrian Schoolcraft's story. This is what happened to him when he tried to be a decent cop

10/15/13 12:39 pm

And expose corruption in the force.

Jack14 Massachusetts
10/15/13 4:37 pm

I listened to the 1 hr podcast. How did you come across it? It was great.

10/15/13 6:20 pm

Violence showed me it; I'm pretty sure you're following her. But if you're not already, I definitely recommend it. She's mad smart.