Arya8 October 15th, 2013 2:12pm

When you hear about a baby dying after being left in a hot car, what's your first feeling toward the parent or guardian who forgot the child?

opie99 left coast best coast
10/16/13 10:36 am

It happened to a woman I knew professionally. Her husband always dropped off their baby at work but this one time...baby was asleep, she was late for work. Just tragic. She lost it after that. Such a sad situation.

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/15/13 10:56 pm

Sympathy for the poor baby, anger for the mother.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/15/13 9:11 pm

Sympathy, probably. Assuming it was inadvertent, to know that their carelessness caused the death of their child must be overwhelming. Few small
mistakes have such high cost.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/15/13 3:42 pm

Anger. How could a parent forget a baby for that long?

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/15/13 3:50 pm

Forget their baby? Why would they leave their baby ALONE?

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/15/13 4:45 pm

Well, that's what I mean, really. I mean, if I forget my purse or phone in the car, I remember it within 5/10 minutes. How long must they have forgotten this child for?

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/16/13 11:35 am

Agreed. I can understand taking 5/10 minutes to realize that someone forgot some object in the car; but their kid?!? I just don't get it.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/15/13 3:41 pm

Except for the corrupt who intentionally cooked a child, I find sympathy for the parents however stupid or careless. I cannot imagine their shame or self punishment.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/15/13 10:35 am

I couldn't get past the anger to get to sympathy

KatG Liberal in Ohio
10/15/13 10:34 am

Anger. As a mother if 3. I can't fathom how you would forget you had the baby with you.

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/15/13 9:39 am

Hm, more sad than sympathetic.

chickencookie It really is
10/15/13 9:01 am

When i was a young mother I lugged that carrier everywhere. Two seconds or five minutes - where I went she went.

KudosToYou California
10/15/13 7:43 am

Anger, but more disappointment.

There's an interesting show "What Would You Do?" I think, where the show stages different situations. So many people passed by the (fake) crying baby in the car.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/15/13 7:36 am

What is their reaction? If they are bereaved and feel great pain/sorrow from the incident - sympathy. If they are apathetic or glad such a thing occurred - anger. I lean more towards sympathy, but that is in my nature to do so.

kbluebird Denial
10/15/13 7:33 am

I literally have almost posted this EXACT SAME QUESTION. Get out of my head!

kbluebird Denial
10/15/13 7:35 am

However, my answer is different. I feel deep sorrow for the parent. Sometimes I have been driving and forgotten my baby was in the back seat. All it takes is one little distraction, or departure from the normal routine.

Arya8
10/15/13 7:42 am

My daughter has never slept in the car, or anywhere except her bed at bedtime haha, and has always been loud. As a baby it was constant gurgles and squeals and then talking by 1. So much talking. So I've never forgotten she was there. That's not

Arya8
10/15/13 7:43 am

Possible. Lol.

I can see how it is possible to forget for a minute. What I don't get is how it's possible to forget all day. Does your child never cross your mind? I've either worked full time or been a full time student my daughter's entire nearly

Arya8
10/15/13 7:44 am

4 years now. I am always so busy I can barely remember anything. But I don't forget her. There was a local story a few years back where a woman left her child in the hot car all during her 9 hour work shift. She came out and found her. Those are

Arya8
10/15/13 7:45 am

The stories I cannot wrap my mind around! Did your child not cross your mind once all day to jog your memory? :/

kbluebird Denial
10/15/13 7:58 am

Even in that case, I can sympathize. The woman wouldn't have been used to having her daughter at work, so that thought wouldn't have crossed her mind. The only time she would have needed to be absent-minded was on the way there.

kbluebird Denial
10/15/13 7:59 am

I think that most of these parents experience a mental anguish that is unrivaled--possibly the most excruciating emotional pain in the world. To accidentally kill your child, painfully, due to absent-mindedness? And now on top of that,

kbluebird Denial
10/15/13 8:00 am

Everyone hates you, even people you've never met, and quite possibly your own family. Honestly, I would want to kill myself right then.

kbluebird Denial
10/15/13 8:01 am

The world will give them enough anger to last their lifetime. They don't need mine.

Arya8
10/15/13 8:01 am

I agree with you. I do feel sympathy eventually, but my initial reaction is anger. There's honestly nothing that can make me understand how this happens so often. And I always think, since these people are rarely punished in a legal manner, it seems

Arya8
10/15/13 8:02 am

Like a great way for a parent to kill their child if they want to. :/

kbluebird Denial
10/15/13 8:07 am

Maybe it's optimistic, but I think that the vast majority of these cases are accidents. As a forgetful person with a baby who is quiet in the car, I greatly fear this scenario. Punishing the parent by law would be redundant and pointless if it was

kbluebird Denial
10/15/13 8:08 am

an accident. They have learned their lesson. It might be good if it 1. Brings them closure and 2. Lessens all the hate they are undoubtedly receiving.

Goldiemol dry side of WA
10/15/13 7:31 am

Having lived in TX and witnessed part of a baby stuck in a car for less than 5 mins in 100+ degree heat. Baby was accidentally locked in with keys right beside her. Panic insued she tried the doors, and then found some thing to break a window (which is not easy). Baby was fine...

Goldiemol dry side of WA
10/15/13 7:33 am

But she would not of lasted much longer. Anger still strikes me first but sympathy is in my reaction too. Along with horror and panic of that day. It was at a day care I worked at.

Goldiemol dry side of WA
10/15/13 7:36 am

I never close all my doors of my van in fear that my kids, who are now old enough to get themselves out of the car seats, will get stuck.

HayleyS looking up.
10/15/13 7:29 am

I am pretty much just angry at the guardian. But I did read this one article about that happening... It was a total accident. My heart broke for the mother.

Ebola1 Florida
10/15/13 7:24 am

I said sympathy because I can't imagine the heartbreak that parent now has to live with for the rest of their life. Worse than any punishment that could be given in a court of law.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/15/13 7:18 am

It's murder, I hate murderers especially of little babies.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
10/15/13 7:14 am

Total unsympathetic anger...

wookiecookie
10/15/13 8:24 am

Same. How do you forget your child in a car long enough for him/her to die?! No excuse.