gonzoboy October 15th, 2013 1:03pm

The 2012 Congress, Dems AND Reps, had a 15% approval rating, yet 90% were voted back in. ONE possibility: Gerrymandering. Creating "safe" districts, politicians select their constituents, not the other way, to insure highest reelection probability...

Think Lovin Life
10/15/13 9:35 am

How else can you explain Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid?

gonzoboy Arizona
10/15/13 10:51 am

Generally, Senators don't have such cut-up, parceled, disjointed areas, as Representatives have.

Think Lovin Life
10/15/13 10:53 am

Gonzo ... agreed. Again, how else can anyone explain the rehiring of the mindless Nancy?

Harry is one of two, and has the Las Vegas labor unions on his side.

gonzoboy Arizona
10/15/13 10:58 am

I totally get Reid. As for Pelosi, she is a darling of the area she hails from, San Francisco, a huge, left-leaning population center. I think she's also a clever politician.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/15/13 6:44 am

True. Both parties do it and always have. Also true: most people only complain about the OTHER party's gerrymandering.

gonzoboy Arizona
10/15/13 6:43 am

Not a possibility, Indiana? Not even one?
Okay. :)

rlands
10/15/13 6:15 am

Please go look at the districts of Maryland. Tell me how on earth that makes sense. They did it to get John Delaney, Democrat, in office of the 6th district. The districts are ridiculous, but the citizens of Maryland accepted the new districts in a

rlands
10/15/13 6:15 am

referendum last year.

gonzoboy Arizona
10/15/13 6:32 am

I just looked at MD, and it seems quite 'messy'. But then, I look at other States, and see the same. Some districts are separated, leaving 'islands' in the midst of other districts. Makes me wonder if folks actually KNOW what they're votin' for..

rlands
10/15/13 6:45 am

Exactly! That worried me as well, why people would affirm the new districts, being as ridiculous as they are. It's so hard to deal with, too. For example the 8th district covers Montgomery county, which is hugely democratic and urban/suburban, and

rlands
10/15/13 6:46 am

then it goes up to encompass parts of Frederick and Carroll counties, which are hugely republican, rural areas. It's hard for congressmen to reconcile all those conflicting interests.

gonzoboy Arizona
10/15/13 6:12 am

I think this is ONE reason folks who could reasonably be considered inept, keep getting sent back to D.C. Drawing up these weird shaped districts, they 'corral' their strongest support-base, thereby getting themselves reelected, almost by default..