Show Of Hands October 15th, 2013 12:48am

Would it be more challenging to be in a romantic relationship with someone who has fundamentally opposing political beliefs than you, or wildly different religious beliefs?

mkd0514
10/20/13 2:32 pm

I have always said I could date someone with different religious beliefs, be of a different ethnicity, be a different race, etc BUT I could never date someone who had drastically different political opinions.

yepnope Maryland
10/21/13 5:30 pm

Same here, although everybody loves a good hate$&C@!

GoBucs22 Chief of the Obanjes
10/18/13 2:19 pm

Hey Tony this was my question a few weeks ago!!!!

beast81 Illinois
10/16/13 4:16 pm

Its very easy for me to understand different religious beliefs. Not very easy to understand opposite political beliefs all the time.

Leandra
10/16/13 2:32 pm

I sometimes agree with different political parties. I can deal with different political views but I couldn't be with someone who was even slightly religious. Thankfully, I already have someone who both shares my political beliefs and isn't religious.

Chelschwaa Tacoma, WA
10/15/13 11:31 pm

my husband and I have different views in both departments but not too wildly different. it is frustrating at times but we have lots of interesting conversations and I love him so it's okay:)

kittylover Florida
10/15/13 7:10 pm

I've dated guys of all religions, but I can't deal with dating hardcore conservatives. My last ex and I broke up because we kept arguing about Paul Ryan. He was a major fanboy.

centexken Republic of Texas
10/15/13 9:13 pm

You couldn't handle a Paul Ryan fan? Don't ever try to date a Ted Cruz or Rand Paul fan!

pjbob7 ohio
10/15/13 6:27 pm

Well I'm single #foreveralone

Uncensored4all Minnesota
10/15/13 5:06 pm

Without a doubt it would be religion. Both my spouse and I share near identical political views, and are both atheists. I wouldn't care if she went conservative, but religion would definitely cause friction.

NYevo NY
10/15/13 3:16 pm

They'd both be hard, but religion would likely be harder imo. Facts can disprove what one persons party believes in a given moment. Facts cannot resolve a persons faith, or lack thereof.

SirBloble Alabama
10/15/13 11:51 am

Religion. With political views we can reach a compromise and our views will slowly change to be more like the others anyway. But I don't want your religion, I don't want any religion. I won't even DATE you if you have a religion.

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 2:03 pm

Guess you will die alone then

nickvicious
10/15/13 5:04 pm

Princess, something like 30% of the country has no religious affiliation. That's a pretty big dating pool.

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 5:28 pm

Yes but you still took away a lot of great women and so what if they have a religion its great that they can believe in something and even better if they don't force it on others. What if a girl is everything you want her to be but part of a religion and another is everything you don't want but not

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 5:29 pm

And about half of those 30% are men so really you only have about 15% of women to choose from if you even meet them all.

nickvicious
10/15/13 5:35 pm

Alls I'm saying is that your assumption that he's going to die alone is wrong. There are plenty of atheist and/or agnostic couples out there as proof

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 5:41 pm

But were they only willing to date other atheists/agnostics or were they more open to other people also and they just happened to marry another atheist/agnostic?
And I wasn't being serious when I said that chill out

nickvicious
10/15/13 5:46 pm

How am I not chill? We largely date/marry our own. Raising kids would be tough. I don't think I could deal with my spouse telling our kids that unless they worship jesus, they'll burn forever.

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 5:51 pm

There are many families that have parents with 2 different religions or one being part of a religion and the other an atheist. What they do is they introduce them to both sides when old enough to think on their own and they decide for themselves what to believe. I'm not saying you should date

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 5:53 pm

Someone different just saying you want someone with no religion is taking a big amount of potential people out and no one is exactly who you want. Its the same for people with religion that will only date people of the same religion

nickvicious
10/15/13 6:09 pm

And all I'm saying is your "die alone" remark was false.

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 6:17 pm

And I said I wasn't serious which is true

Mable
10/15/13 7:36 pm

I'm an atheist and when it came to guys I was considering being serious with, religion was a nonstarter. If they were religious it was a huge turn off for me and a would never have worked, so I never wasted my time. Now happily married to a fellow atheist so it worked out

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 7:49 pm

Well now you never know how another would have turned out with not giving him a chance

Mable
10/15/13 8:24 pm

If he was religious it would have ended in divorce!

Princess Kentucky
10/15/13 8:41 pm

I didn't mean giving him a chance by marrying him right away lol I mean just a date and just cause he might be part of a religion doesn't exactly mean he is "religious"

SirBloble Alabama
10/16/13 4:34 am

Yikes. I went to bed and it seems I've started a war! Princess, I'm not going to die alone, a large majority of gay men are atheist anyway so it's really not that much of a problem.

Princess Kentucky
10/16/13 7:04 am

For the third time I wasn't being serious just over exaggerating
And what if you really do like a guy but you find out he is part of a religion and he doesn't care that you are atheist and doesn't try to convert you or anything like that if he doesn't care what you believe or don't believe maybe

SirBloble Alabama
10/16/13 1:33 pm

Religion is too big a part of life for me to be able to overlook it. If they are religious it says a lot about them. Enough for me to know we aren't really compatible in the long run. Dating sure, but not the rest of my life. I stand by my opinion.

Princess Kentucky
10/16/13 1:52 pm

Yes but some people part of a religion are not exactly religious like some I know who are truly religious will read their book everyday and go to worship every time they have to while others will only go during their religious holiday and not exactly a big part of their life

nyjewboy USA
10/15/13 11:29 am

I see religion as a metaphor for living a good life and politics as the literal application of religious morality. So a person's political beliefs are more important to me.

gatsbyxxv
10/15/13 11:24 am

I bet this is the first time this has happened; religion being more influential than politics. Maybe it the time we are living in.

DariusM uptown baby
10/15/13 10:53 am

I'm not particularly religious

centexken Republic of Texas
10/15/13 9:17 pm

No kidding? With a screen name like that?

hposto Oklahoma
10/15/13 9:53 am

Religion is no big deal. My girlfriend is Christian and Im atheist, absolutely fine. Political beliefs is where it's difficult for me to get along. I can't stand conservatives' or liberals' views.

NYevo NY
10/15/13 3:20 pm

If you marry and have children, would choosing what to teach them cause an issue?

bonemouth lost in the wilderness
10/15/13 7:34 am

Most religions have a common thread of values. But in politics you can't fix stupid.

Mud Constitutionalist
10/15/13 8:12 am

Very funny. You hit the mail on the head. Stupid is stupid.

lurie92 bellmore, ny
10/15/13 7:00 am

Most of the time the two go hand and hand

nickvicious
10/15/13 6:45 am

Religiousness is an automatic dealbreaker. At least to a degree.

Swarley utah
10/15/13 11:55 am

You can't say Automatic deal breaker and follow that up with, at least to a degree.

That's like saying sex panther calogne works 60 percent of the time, every time.

nickvicious
10/15/13 5:02 pm

Well, the "to a degree" was an afterthought. I might make an excetion if she was, say buddhist or pagan.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
10/15/13 6:18 am

I've been finding it increasingly hard to respect my religious friends, and find myself growing apart from them for that reason. I could never successfully date an overly religious person.

Diknak Ohio
10/15/13 5:57 am

as an atheist married to a born again christian, I can say religion has certainly caused some difficult conversations.

blockfisher Clinton, CT
10/15/13 5:33 am

my wife and I are both agnostic and hate politics. We are happily married.

revp01
10/15/13 4:57 am

A person's perspective on God has impact on literally everything else in life. Important for that to be somewhat aligned for the romance to thrive & survive long term.

agentc Grapevine, Texas
10/15/13 4:53 am

Well, I'm atheist. I'm okay agreeing to disagree, but you can not drag me to church or expect me to pretend I believe something I don't.

TheChoznOne Fort Leonard Wood,MO
10/15/13 4:51 am

Religious indifference would be impossible as the most attractive feature is intelligence

hannahkearns
10/15/13 4:35 am

For me it's whoever I marry I want to spend eternity with them and so sharing faith is important to me but I would be fine politically disagreeing with my spouse.

deathvalley Chicago native
10/15/13 3:41 am

My recent ex and I were politically on the same page but when it came to religion he use to say that the devil haunts him because of past bad decisions... I started to think he was bananas.

Itabliss Hello
10/15/13 3:37 am

My Boyfriend and I have different political views often. We have no problem respecting each other's opinion. However, I could not date him if he had and imaginary friend.

borny33
10/15/13 7:49 pm

who??? oh that's a joke...just not funny.

Itabliss Hello
10/16/13 3:49 am

Not a joke, and you're right, it's not funny. It's just sad when adults need an imaginary friend to get through life.

Leandra
10/16/13 2:35 pm

I agree, Itabliss. ????

Leandra
10/16/13 2:37 pm

Aw, can't see my thumbs up.

borny33
10/16/13 5:00 pm

fair enough, I would never make anyone believe the same way I do...I just don't see why my beliefs are imaginary. but since most of the world has an imaginary friend, I'm OK with it.

Itabliss Hello
10/16/13 5:03 pm

Because those beliefs are based on faith, and faith by its nature is not based In fact. Therefore, it is imaginary.

borny33
10/16/13 5:06 pm

so is evolution then...and heck so is not believing. no facts to back it up....

Itabliss Hello
10/16/13 5:08 pm

I'm sorry, you are quite mistaken. There are a ton of facts that back up evolution. That isn't even arguable, unless you are a complete nit wit.

borny33
10/16/13 5:12 pm

and there are facts that back up religion too...my point is not that there are not facts but it takes faith to believe in evolution because there are parts that can't be explained... and well since I'm a nit wit...ha, I guess this doesn't matter.

Itabliss Hello
10/16/13 5:15 pm

Show me an actual fact to back up religion and I'll convert right now.

Itabliss Hello
10/16/13 5:18 pm

And again, you are quite confused about evolution. Evolution makes no supernatural claims. We don't take what we can't explain, and say, "therefore, god.". No, we keep searching. There would be no progress if we attributed that which we do not yet

Itabliss Hello
10/16/13 5:19 pm

Understand to magic, or god.

pweeks33
10/15/13 3:34 am

Religion would be a problem for me only if there was a possibility of having kids. As a non-religious person I would need to have an honest discussion with my partner that I don't believe our kids should be subjected to their religion by default.

apparition Tacoma
10/15/13 3:07 am

People hold bitter grudges over politics.

People have killed each other over different religious beliefs.

pweeks33
10/15/13 3:31 am

True but they've definitely killed over politics too haha

swervin Maryland
10/15/13 2:30 am

You can not get past religion (at least in my experiences) but democrats can be taught the errors of their ways :)

centexken Republic of Texas
10/15/13 1:46 am

That's like asking what kind of bullet I wish to be shot with. I don't want to be romantically involved with a socialist or a Muslim!

Itabliss Hello
10/15/13 3:38 am

You're from Texas. Of course that's your response.

Mable
10/15/13 7:40 pm

It's not just Texas, I completely agree.

Itabliss Hello
10/16/13 3:50 am

Then you too are an ignorant ass.

centexken Republic of Texas
10/16/13 4:06 am

Ignorant ass? Why is it ignorant to not want a romantic relationship with someone with basic beliefs that are totally different from yours? How are you going to raise children with this person? I sure don't want a wife telling the kids that it fine

centexken Republic of Texas
10/16/13 4:06 am

to be a Muslim or socialist when I don't believe that.

Itabliss Hello
10/16/13 4:19 am

It's ignorant because your statement asserts that those are the only political and religious beliefs outside your own. And whether or not you know it, you ARE a bit of a socialist. If you went to public school or drove on any public roads, etc.

centexken Republic of Texas
10/16/13 7:29 am

The original question stated wildly different. That would be Muslims and socialists for me, you silly liberal.

indygirl Oregon
10/15/13 1:24 am

Blessed to be married to a man who shares most of my views on religion and politics. I think differences in either would make a relationship less peaceful. There are those who thrive on drama, so perhaps for them it would add spark.

monkees19 New Jersey
10/15/13 12:16 am

I guess it all depends. My wife and I are opposites in both but it never comes into play enough. But I would think religion is harder. Depends on how firm those beliefs are.

monkees19 New Jersey
10/15/13 12:18 am

Like, I'm a firm atheist and my wife is Roman Catholic. But I always think that even though I find her beliefs wrong and crazy, she finds mine equally as wrong and crazy. So we chalk it up to we're both insane and it keeps it out of the relationship.

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
10/14/13 11:47 pm

The bible says to not be unequally yoked otherwise they will drag you away from your aim.

Diknak Ohio
10/15/13 6:04 am

except Corinthians 7:12-14 directly contradicts that. That's the great thing about the bible; it contradicts itself so much you can just pick the part that matches your personal preference.

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
10/15/13 7:45 am

So although I wrote to you, it was not for the sake of the one who did the wrong, nor for the sake of the one who suffered the wrong, but in order that your earnestness for us might be revealed to you in the sight of God.

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
10/15/13 7:45 am

Therefore we are comforted. And besides our own comfort, we rejoiced still more at the joy of Titus, because his spirit has been refreshed by you all. For whatever boasts I made to him about you,

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
10/15/13 7:45 am

I was not put to shame. But just as everything we said to you was true, so also our boasting before Titus has proved true. (2 Corinthians 7:12-14 ESV)

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
10/15/13 7:47 am

Please explain how this scripture has ANYTHING to do with marrige.

Crusader Rome in 67AD
10/14/13 11:21 pm

The question is moot, because one affects the other, usually. It always translates into the other

julianisdead Indiana
10/14/13 10:56 pm

I'm a pretty militant atheist so if I dated the polar opposite, I'd just be dating some delusional fool.

Crusader Rome in 67AD
10/14/13 11:21 pm

What a surprise, another atheist...

theNobamist Silicon Valley
10/15/13 2:27 pm

What if you were wrong? You can't prove your pov, and are as committed to it as a religious person is theirs.

MaryMallory Mrs. Sherlock Holmes
10/14/13 9:57 pm

I think that religion would pose a bigger problem between people because it has more to do with morals and truths rather than voting and such. It plays a more integral part in who you are as a person.

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
10/15/13 4:31 am

so...are you trying to say a certain religion has morals & truth compared to other religions or non religious people?

Diknak Ohio
10/15/13 6:20 am

morality has nothing to do with religion. I have known plenty of people that go to church every single week and they are total douche bags. Conversely, most atheists I know are kind and empathetic to others.

MaryMallory Mrs. Sherlock Holmes
10/15/13 8:51 am

I'm not talking about certain religious groups, I mean to say that religions in general have their own morals, their own standard of what is right and wrong which apply to people more personally than politics.

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
10/15/13 9:04 am

what I'm trying to get at is just because someone's is religious doesn't mean they're moral

MaryMallory Mrs. Sherlock Holmes
10/15/13 9:42 am

Of course not. But each religion has its own idea of right and wrong, regardless if it's followers respect those.

kris55 Alabama
10/14/13 9:42 pm

Most people with opposing political beliefs already have wildly different religious beliefs.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
10/14/13 9:40 pm

It would be REAL interesting if a Pentecostal Christian dated an Athiest. I think that would make a really interesting conversation at the dinner table on Sundays...

indygirl Oregon
10/15/13 1:27 am

The church gossip would be deadly!!

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
10/14/13 9:37 pm

Religion is beautiful, but politics are far more important.

rlc63 North Carolina
10/14/13 9:30 pm

My husband and I have different political views and we do not agree on religion. I can tell you for a fact, that we have many more disagreements on religion.
Politics? We just laugh about canceling each other out during elections.

sailrealvty Downtown
10/14/13 9:28 pm

Probably would get TO the relationship as those a two of many very important issues that heat up fights not make up sex!!!

theNobamist Silicon Valley
10/14/13 9:25 pm

For Obamist zombies, Obamanism is their religion.

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
10/15/13 4:32 am

more like hating Obama is the religion

theNobamist Silicon Valley
10/15/13 2:28 pm

Nope. We're the antibodies trying to ward off the fatal disease!

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/14/13 9:22 pm

Religious. I can probably more easily convince them of the fallacies of their political beliefs, since those are usually more loosely held.

MysteryCheese Is it possible to change
10/14/13 9:17 pm

With me being atheist, I would find it difficult to have a spouse that is a hard over religious person. Example, when eating dinner, I will just dig in, but the spouse will give a little prayer.

Attikai Oregon
10/14/13 8:50 pm

Religious people are kind of cute with their funny beliefs.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/14/13 8:39 pm

Religious. If religion is important to you, it would matter a lot in how you raised your kids.

Attikai Oregon
10/14/13 9:40 pm

What if let your kids decide for themselves when get older? Let them find their own path?

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/14/13 10:18 pm

If you let your two year old pick a religion, they'd probably worship Barney. You should teach your children. If they are older and no longer wish to follow a religion that's their choice.

Attikai Oregon
10/14/13 10:21 pm

When I said "get older" I didn't mean 2, silly :-)

Diknak Ohio
10/15/13 6:09 am

teaching religion to children is very crucial to the success of religions. If you tell a 2 year old that there is an invisible man in the sky, he will believe you. If you tell that to a 25 year old, he probably won't.

not_even Boston, MA
10/14/13 8:34 pm

It's more difficult to have friends with differing political beliefs, but for a relationship I would find it harder to have someone with religious differences.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
10/14/13 8:32 pm

These days they are basically the same thing, sadly.

gjb2779
10/14/13 8:52 pm

Wow, there's one of the most ignorant comments I've seen on here in a long ass time. Way to generalize pal, ya sound brilliant!

dlaw4570
10/14/13 8:28 pm

Simple answer...I wouldn't be in a relationship with either!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/14/13 8:28 pm

With different religious beliefs, it would be like one person who sees only in black and white trying to birdwatch with another who sees in color.