camigirl October 14th, 2013 5:30pm

My dad used to say if anyone ever took me and hurt me, he would find me and kill them. I don't know how truthful that is but I'm sure most parents know the feeling. Do you think murder should be legally justified under circumstances like that?

kc10
10/14/13 9:31 pm

I completely understand and empathize. I went through the same feelings when my brother was murdered (we discovered the identities of the people that did it). However, it took me a long time to realize they an eye for an eye makes the world blind.

b4mytime Orange County, CA
10/14/13 2:21 pm

I don't think it should automatically be justified for any kidnapping case, but there are circumstances under which I think a jury should be able to call it justifiable.

shovelhead someplace with coffee
10/14/13 1:17 pm

I have three daughters age 11, 9, 6 ..... You take my girls and touch one of them.... You just informed me that your life isn't worth living as a human being and I WILL take it from you. (Period no explanation needed) don't try me

kermie gaytopia
10/14/13 7:07 pm

That was supposed to be a waving flag.

shovelhead someplace with coffee
10/14/13 7:09 pm

I'm glad it wasn't "?????" Because I thought I made perfect explanation of myself

DavesNotHere where am I
10/14/13 1:14 pm

Justifiable homicide is not the same as murder.

Evseng2
10/14/13 1:30 pm

That's where your wrong.
It's still murder. You still murdered someone, but it's justified.
That's how the courts look at it.
But you still ended someone's life and that is murder

skinner Wisconsin
10/14/13 1:06 pm

No. Vigilanteism must be discouraged. The right to life is essential and society has to be better than the petty desires of the individual.

skinner Wisconsin
10/14/13 1:15 pm

Maybe petty was a little harsh but you understand my sentiment

kspells TheOtherOtherside
10/14/13 12:17 pm

This was years ago i remember seeing this live before TV used delay
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi3Hyxuf5AE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

NateE Moderate Republican
10/14/13 11:52 am

Like killing out of passion? Thats pretty much the same argument as people being temporarily insane when they catch their spouse cheating on them

camigirl
10/14/13 12:24 pm

Yeah it's somewhat like that. I feel it would likely be premeditated but I was wondering if anyone thought the emotional aspect was enough to overlook that

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/14/13 11:49 am

Vigilantism legalized makes for bad law, plain and simple. It may be understandable, but it isn't something a civilized society can abide. Either we are a society of law and order or we aren't. There is a reason juries are supposed to be impartial.

rastamonsta
10/14/13 11:38 am

I'm not sure if its okay to justify murder, but in this case I don't care. A person who harms a child deserves no protection of law. They're animals; actually that's an insult to animals.

twss trump is a garbage human
10/14/13 11:10 am

Not legally justified, but completely understandable and even excusable, to a degree. Hurt my babies and I WILL retaliate.

wego Utah
10/14/13 11:14 am

Yep, same here.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/14/13 10:43 am

Being a parent and putting myself in that situation I said yes. If you hurt my child (kidnapping is included in this even if no real physical harm is done) I'm not going to wait for a jury to convict you and I don't know a parent who would.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/14/13 10:45 am

This is the only situation where I'm ok with letting emotions be justified. Can you imagine your child getting raped and just waiting for the law to deal with that person? Eff that.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/14/13 10:57 am

I fully agree with you. I wouldn't take chances with a jury possibly not finding them guilty...

wego Utah
10/14/13 11:16 am

Same here. I know I would completely lose my mind and someone would seriously regret ever seeing my kid.

Posco SOS
10/14/13 10:40 am

I don't like using emotions to justify crime so I said no but if I were on the jury, I wouldn't convict him.

dryanmorr
10/14/13 10:37 am

It is. It's called a crime of passion, meaning if his daughter got raped or killed and he killed the rapist, usually he wouldn't be charged. There isn't a jury in the world that would convict him.

camigirl
10/14/13 10:39 am

I'm doubtful of that last sentence and yeah I'm talking about if the child is still alive.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/14/13 11:47 am

It depends on the circumstances, but yes, crime of passion has been used effectively as a defense in certain crimes like what you described. Usually it requires that you kill the person shortly after learning of the crime, though. The idea is that

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/14/13 11:48 am

if it's done in the heat of the moment, you didn't have control over yourself, but if you find out about it and essentially plot retaliation against them, it isn't a crime of passion at that point because it was planned, ie your brain was working.

tenletters New York