BamaGirl October 14th, 2013 5:18pm

Can you learn success in school? Why or why not in comments, please.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
10/14/13 4:57 pm

I don't think it's a thing you can learn from another person.

Zealizabeth Probably the hospital
10/14/13 3:11 pm

Is success a learned behavior? I think they can give you the building blocks but it's up to you. I think people gain wisdom through events and you can use that wisdom to help you achieve success.

andrewser Miami Lakes
10/14/13 2:48 pm

I once saw this serie, in which a teacher was saving a gold notebook that had all the answers for his tests.... One the students decided to steal it... He later discovered that the teacher wanted him to do so, so he would study for the test...

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
10/14/13 1:32 pm

Education can only give you the building blocks of success.
To succeed in the real world you new to have the adaptability to constantly change to new environments.
Unfortunately our education system teaches us to think in a box.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
10/14/13 1:34 pm

The professors prefer to say this is the question and this is the answer.
Rarely do you run into that in the real world, half the time it is figuring out what the question is and coming up with unique ideas for the answer.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/14/13 1:22 pm

One can learn success... every where. Success is a decision, not an event.

MrAngerer
10/14/13 1:08 pm

Success is something learned after repeated failures.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/14/13 12:15 pm

Academics are an opportunity for people to learn that hard work pays-off. Good grades "feels good" and the appropriate chemical reaction in the body occurs. There's lots of recognition available to students who achieve high grades.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/14/13 12:16 pm

Valedictorian and Salutatorian are just a couple of examples. Honor Rolls are available too. Students are usually given props by fellow students and are recruited for debate teams and other academic adventures. There's scholarships that follow.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/14/13 12:17 pm

Athletics can really build somebody-up too. In athletics we learn about sportsmanship, winning graciously, and how to lose with class. Athletics can build self-esteem and cause somebody to adopt a healthy lifestyle that can help them for decades.....

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/14/13 12:18 pm

Students who excel in academics, pursue athletics, bank, music, and other activities can find their lives enriched by the experiences. They can develop skills and talents that couldn't as easily be developed otherwise.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/14/13 12:19 pm

Students can learn how to succeed by first attempting something, trying their best, failing, trying harder, and succeeding. It's a healthy cycle and one that school and its activities allow plenty of opportunity for.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/14/13 12:20 pm

"That's about all I got to say about that."

EarlyBird Portland
10/14/13 1:33 pm

Are you sure you're done? :-)

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/14/13 3:19 pm

The last post was a quote from Forrest Gump.

jdengel
10/14/13 11:57 am

No, you can learn the tools to succeed, but if those tools sit in the tool box...

Ebola1 Florida
10/14/13 11:25 am

You can learn academic success but that's different from the real world. The last time I suggested that experience might be useful I was attacked from all corners so I'm a little gun shy.

talbotfarwell Appalachia
10/14/13 11:25 am

Yes, but not as part of the curriculum. You've gotta learn it through hard work and not slacking. If you start slacking you'll either give up, or learn success the hard way. I took the latter route and graduated a year behind my peers.

twss trump is a garbage human
10/14/13 11:14 am

You can learn and develop habits that lead to a greater likelihood of success. For example: time management, money management/budgeting, social skills, communication skills, presentation skills. There are many more, but those are a good start.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
10/14/13 10:42 am

Success can only be learned through experience. Ask a millionaire how he built his empire and he will tell you "by failing time and time again and learning from each time." One of my favorite adages is "Experience is something you get right after...

scottt
10/14/13 11:03 am

"Difference between knowledge and experience: knowledge is learned before you do something, experience is learned after" - Churchill

cgmonin Maryland
10/14/13 10:41 am

Absolutely, especially if you have a great teacher who doesn't just teach a subject, but if they also throw in some valuable life lessons. I've had a few of these teachers, and they really do teach success sometimes.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/14/13 10:23 am

I think you can learn to desire success while in school, because you should be able to see benefits of your successes or the detriments of your failures rather quickly. That said, I am not sure that success, itself, can be taught.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/14/13 10:22 am

A friend asked this question on FB. I thought it was thought-provoking, so I wanted to ask, y'all.

theavgguy I.E.
10/14/13 10:21 am

You learn tools in school.