Praetorianus October 14th, 2013 3:43am

Imagine you grow/grew up in a wealthy family of doctors and lawyers. Your parents tell you they'll pay tuition for Harvard, Yale, the best IF you keep the tradition. If not, you are mostly on your own. You decide to become...

EmWalt Meet Jim the Duck
10/16/13 4:32 pm

I would break tradition. I want to be a nuclear engineer, and with my grades right now I could get almost a full ride to either. Granted, I haven't taken the ACT or SAT as a junior, but I got a 23 on ACT in seventh grade.

greeengoddess Minnesota
10/14/13 7:30 pm

I'm going to become a lawyer anyhow, but if I wanted to do something else, I would.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/14/13 5:55 am

If they'd pay for a full ride, I'd definitely become a doctor.

Arya8
10/14/13 4:51 am

If I didn't want to, I wouldn't.

political Georgia
10/14/13 4:42 am

I want to be a lawyer anyway.

Emily33 North Carolina
10/14/13 4:14 am

I can't argue very well and I hate blood. I'd so an awful doctor or lawyer.

Skarface Banned
10/14/13 3:58 am

I don't want people relying on me to prove them innocent, and I really don't want people relying on me not to kill them on accident. I'll stick with my profession of choice, where the worst thing that I can do us make a website that they don't like.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/13/13 9:52 pm

Well, I'm fine with being a doctor or lawyer. I was actually denied from Harvard. It was one of the only schools which I wanted to get into but didn't.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/13/13 10:22 pm

What was the reason for denial? I was once denied to a European university because of a numerus clausus. I had a 3.7 GPA they wanted 3.8 for biochemistry. It was Tubingen.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/14/13 7:24 am

Similar reasons, but I got accepted into a number of other prestigious universities across the country. I did get accepted to a few in Europe, but I haven't really put much consideration into attending one of them.

dryanmorr
10/13/13 9:20 pm

No I'll become an artist and live off of minimum wage lol not ill be a doctor.

dawl adulting
10/13/13 9:07 pm

If I really didn't want to then I would break tradition no prob.

TierasPet
10/13/13 9:05 pm

I personally would love to get my law degree but not through force. I'd break tradition.

susanr Colorado
10/13/13 8:48 pm

Since I was on my way to medical school when I first went to college, I'd probably be fine with that. If I'd had other inclinations, I would never go into a profession just because it was a family tradition.

Octopus
10/13/13 8:55 pm

What made you decide to drop the medical school route and pursue research instead?

susanr Colorado
10/13/13 9:44 pm

Well, first I dropped out of college... Not a good career move. I sort of had it all & threw it away - I had a good scholarship & was in a 6-year med program (both BS & MD in 6 years; automatic admittance to med school). After that, it took me

susanr Colorado
10/13/13 9:46 pm

many years before I convinced myself I wanted to get a degree or two & then do research. Science & medicine were never far from my interests (I worked in a hospital lab for 9 years, for example, & read a TON, but I just didn't see myself getting

susanr Colorado
10/13/13 9:47 pm

the degrees & doing it. One of my advisors (I was taking jr college courses for fun, virtually everything the biology department offered) finally badgered me enough that I realized I really wanted to do it.

Octopus
10/13/13 9:55 pm

I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end! I have a year left of biochemistry classes to take, already finished through genetics, organic, etc. My initial plan was to try for med school but at this point I'm having second thoughts and wondering

Octopus
10/13/13 9:56 pm

if that's actually what I would enjoy most, or if I would end up being miserable. I've recently started to consider looking into research instead, but I know the salary wouldn't be as high and also feel somewhat insecure because I have a hard time

Octopus
10/13/13 9:58 pm

thinking I could be that knowledgable about any subject. I'm going to try to work with a professor in a lab all next year though and see how I like it and if I am any good at it. Should definitely be interesting. :-)

susanr Colorado
10/14/13 11:06 am

I think it's a really good idea to get some research experience, for a lot of reasons. I still think I would have enjoyed some parts of medicine, but that I'm more suited to research. I don't really have any regrets.

Octopus
10/14/13 6:57 pm

Thanks for the insight. I have recently contacted a few different professors to meet with and discuss available positions in their labs for next semester (or hopefully for the entire year), and I can choose whichever I'm most interested in. It will

Octopus
10/14/13 6:58 pm

be a great opportunity and I'm looking forward to it.

susanr Colorado
10/14/13 8:49 pm

Excellent! I hope you find a place you like in an interesting lab. We often had undergrads in the lab where I worked, some of them on their way to med school. One pair were biomedical engineering students - that was interesting for all of us.

Octopus
10/14/13 9:11 pm

Thank you, Susan! My SO is studying biomedical engineering. That requires a completely different skill set than the one I have, but he's good at it. What different fields of study did you mainly focus on in your research?

susanr Colorado
10/14/13 9:15 pm

I trained in genetic toxicology, which looks at mutagenicity & potential carcinogenicity of environmental (natural & manmade) chemicals, using shorter-term tests than full-blown long-term animal tests. The assays include bacteria, human or animal

susanr Colorado
10/14/13 9:17 pm

cell lines, plant cells, whole plants, insects, & smaller numbers of genetically engineered animals (rats & mice). Most of my later research involved mice that were engineered to have a mouse version of one or more genes that, in a human, increase

susanr Colorado
10/14/13 9:19 pm

risk for cancer. One increases risk, in humans, of breast cancer in both men & women. In the mice, it increased incidence of other reproductive tumors in females, but not in males.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/13/13 8:46 pm

I love science and was a computer science major but given that choice, I'd go with the family, take human medicine but try to go into medical research. If the only choice had been lawyer, no. Sounds boring.

Octopus
10/13/13 8:46 pm

I would become a doctor/lawyer IF that is what I WANTED to do. I can accept their offer from my biased position though, because I am already on the doctor route.

CDFL alt right, alt snowflake
10/13/13 8:45 pm