Show Of Hands October 14th, 2013 2:34am

Agnostics: do you lean more towards a belief that the universe was created by a supernatural being, or that it wasn't?

Tryptamine Life is a trip
10/16/13 6:44 pm

We are living in a simulation created by the creator.

jakejanse Texas
10/15/13 7:20 pm

I'm not against the idea of a "creator" but what about the possibility that universe has simply always existed?

asnideremark Atlanta
10/15/13 3:23 pm

I can't prove there isn't a god, but to me the world functions exactly how it should if there was no god. So that's what I lean towards

helloschmitty
10/14/13 4:16 pm

Agnostics are just wimpy Atheists. Grow some balls and just own up to what you believe... Or don't believe in.

susanr Colorado
10/14/13 9:42 pm

I don't see it that way at all. I'm a scientist; I know that there's no way to know 100% for sure that no god exists, so it almost seems wrong for anyone to call themselves an atheist. One can really only *not know.* So, I have no problem with

susanr Colorado
10/14/13 9:44 pm

people who call themselves agnostic. (I do think of myself as an atheist, but with the understanding that I really don't know 100% for sure.)

baldingbandit
10/14/13 10:56 pm

Not at all. We haven't seen enough evidence or reason to back either side of the argument.

Mana Portland
10/15/13 6:04 am

Not really. Agnostic is rooted in the word knowledge while atheism is more about faith. Lack of knowledge vs lack of faith. Not the same.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
10/14/13 1:24 pm

it's like what came first, the chicken or the egg? who created who.

TheChoznOne Fort Leonard Wood,MO
10/14/13 12:50 pm

There is no evidence of a creator but evidence that there was not one

timeout Boston Strong
10/14/13 11:28 am

No supernatural being....I believe the universe was created by natural forces and man through the process of evolution.

pw1
10/14/13 11:05 am

I feel as though the idea of a "creator" is largely a way to manage large scale populations. Essentially it is a historical method of promoting right from wrong - who wouldn't believe the "one" who created us. However largely outdated. "No creator"

dahawwl Texas
10/14/13 7:50 am

Does it have to be one or the other? Why not a little of both?

IMO atoms, space, opinion
10/14/13 10:54 am

Because they are opposites.

dahawwl Texas
10/14/13 12:09 pm

Maybe. But, I think if you decide to plant a garden you combine the divine plan of a higher power with your own gardening skills, and sometimes a little luck. Maybe, things work together.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/14/13 8:53 pm

You're thinking about theistic evolution.

Mana Portland
10/14/13 7:33 am

The deeper I go with math and science and the amazing organization taking place in our chaotic universe the more I see God in everything. But I don't believe god is a supernatural being. And I am completely against dogmatic religious ideologies.

Mana Portland
10/14/13 11:18 am

If applying such labels helps your understanding then apply them. However I don't worry myself with it. Trying to confine my constantly evolving spiritual ideas to labels is too restrictive for my taste.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/14/13 7:00 am

Tony,
After reading through the comments, it appears that this targeted poll filter did not work. :(

kspells TheOtherOtherside
10/14/13 4:53 am

I apologies I am not agnostic but I answered because I wanted to see the results. I chose red. If you want me to change it let me know.

idontkn0w
10/14/13 4:33 am

I don't like the creator ideology because then who made the creator? Its all got to start somewhere and things don't just poof into existence. I feel like we made up the creator not the other way around.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/14/13 8:56 pm

If you're gonna think of it that way, the Big Bang theory made everything just "poof" out if nowhere also.... So technically with your logic, it's not possible to be existing right now. Lol

bookhenge Virginia
10/14/13 4:24 am

It doesn't matter. Live a good life. Try to treat people well. Raise thoughtful children and leave behind a healthy world for them to inherit. If there is a creator, and that's not good enough for it, why would you want to worship it anyway?

rons screw politicians
10/14/13 4:17 am

As I get old I'm hoping there is a creator. Stone dead with worms in my head is the lousy option.

mstep1714 Oklahoma
10/13/13 11:15 pm

Whoops, didn't process the agnostics part. Haha I thought it just meant everyone in the world

seano287 Massachusetts
10/13/13 10:17 pm

You're completely missing the meaning of agnosticism with this question. I don't know if a "creator" made the universe, and I don't concern myself with the question or the issues attached to it.

Octopus
10/14/13 12:27 am

Not really. Most agnostics lean one way or the other.

beanD California
10/13/13 10:02 pm

Tony did you send this question out to everyone, or am I somehow on the Christian list AND the agnostic list?

BwhoUare Oklahoma City, OK
10/13/13 9:44 pm

Personally, I believe in God; the creator of all. The science way for me is too sketchy and doesn't coincide with my thought process and beliefs. But that's just my personal takeaway on the whole deal/ debate.

magnum
10/13/13 10:07 pm

I think you confused magic (religion) and science. See, science is physical data and proof. Magic is well, parting the Red Sea or turning water into wine.

BwhoUare Oklahoma City, OK
10/13/13 10:56 pm

But that's just your personal opinion on things that happen long ago.

parker9
10/14/13 8:55 pm

Science doesn't have to coincide with what you think, it just has to be reproducible. One can debate scientific issues, but how can you debate science? I mean, it works. For example, your phone/tablet/computer works, no? That's science.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/14/13 8:59 pm

The Big Bang isn't reproducible....

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/14/13 9:40 pm

Has it been reproduced in the history of ever? No... At least not that we know of if it happened at all. And it would take just as much FAITH to believe it happened once or even twice than it would to believe in God.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/14/13 9:41 pm

And I can't believe you asked me how I knew....... Really?

parker9
10/14/13 10:00 pm

If you accept the Big Bang happened, then it would happen again if we had the same state, since it happened.

Mute, Big Bang is not proven. We can have *that* scientific debate. Big Bang is simply consistent with what we know, currently.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/14/13 10:05 pm

I don't understand how someone can believe and have faith that everything natural in this entire solar system happened from one microscopic atom but can't believe that someonemade it. Maybe God was created by a Big Bang. (I don't believe that, just a

parker9
10/14/13 10:10 pm

It's interesting you think you know what i believe.

Big Bang is almost as useless as believing in a creator. But, as i said, at least to doesn't violate physics as currently known. A creator would be.

parker9
10/14/13 10:12 pm

Btw, microscopic atom? You should read about the Big Bang before saying such things. Else you come off as ill-informed.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/14/13 10:15 pm

I didn't say "parker9 believes" I said "some people"... But I'm obviously a believer of God. I'm just having a friendly debate. :) actually I really don't know all the details of the Big Bang. I just know it's a ridiculous theory.

parker9
10/14/13 10:29 pm

Fair enough.

BB is silly, mostly because it can't be directly measured so lots of inferences are needed. But, is it more silly than an idea of a creator?

Was really curious about BwhoUare's thought process...

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/14/13 10:33 pm

I believe there is a creator. We're too complex for us to be made from a "hot dense state". Our thought process is too complex. Why didn't any other animals get our brains if we were all made from the same thing? Just doesn't make sense to me.

parker9
10/14/13 10:58 pm

The universe is big. Really big. Even bigger. Huge. Earth is just a spec. Don't let our little spec let you think humans are special. We're not.

Or, let me turn it around. Why did God only do earth? We alone?

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/15/13 2:33 am

No we're not actually. Idk if other religions believe this or not but mine sure does. We believe there are other worlds but ours is the only one that sins bc we had a choice. I know you don't care but in the bible, it talks about God calling a...

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
10/15/13 2:37 am

...meeting with all the kings of the worlds and satan came and God asked why he's there. Job 1:6,7. It's really interesting to read actually. It says it pretty clear.

BwhoUare Oklahoma City, OK
10/13/13 9:44 pm

Either way is a leap of faith. We don't really know. We say we know without a trace of doubt, but that is just a lie we say to ourselves.

madeit Houston Area
10/13/13 9:24 pm

The uncaused Cause-that is the source of existence.

MisterE Conservistan
10/13/13 8:43 pm

I'm leaning towards not believing there is one, but I try to keep an open mind. I do think the only way for the universe to make sense is for someone to be capable of creating absolute truth.

techkak north coast
10/13/13 8:32 pm

I am a Christian why did I get this poll

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/13/13 8:39 pm

I doubt this kind of poll is filtered, otherwise the mentioning of agnostics would have been redundant.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/13/13 9:06 pm

It was supposed to be filtered. According to Tony's blog on this before, the mention of agnostics (followed by a colon) SHOULD have targeted the poll to agnostics. Clearly, it did not work.

Axl752 NY
10/13/13 8:19 pm

I dont actively believe there is a god but I leave my mind cracked open just a little, because I suppose anything is possible. I am at about 99.99999% sure there is no god.

Axl752 NY
10/13/13 8:21 pm

I am 100% sure that if there is a god all of the worlds religions are still complete horseshit.

magnum
10/13/13 8:42 pm

Totally agree. If there actually is a god they'd be pissed at all the crap we worship.

Statek Im from the Internet
10/13/13 8:09 pm

Agnostic atheist
There could be a god, but by that logic, there could also be a flying teapot orbiting around a planet so that we never see it, but it is there
No evidence for it, so no reason to assume it

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/13/13 8:13 pm

I think a bit like that but only reject a personal God as I said below.

Statek Im from the Internet
10/13/13 8:18 pm

So the logic of the majority of the founding fathers, being close to a deist?
That there is/may be a god, but one that just set the world in motion who doesn't control or care to control anything?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/13/13 8:07 pm

Provided the universe had a beginning, I'd say it's also probable some sort of agent outside time caused it. BUT I do not believe this is a personal God who cares about worship or salvation. It would explain our existence but be of no consequence.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/13/13 8:12 pm

However, I also have a second idea: since not just space but time itself began with the Big Bang, it may not make sense to ask for a cause, since that requires a Before which wasn't. Frankly, I don't know. Well, I'm an agnostic ;)

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/13/13 8:06 pm

Filter not working? I'm Christian.

musicfreak Loving Life
10/13/13 8:04 pm

Wait why am I seeing this poll?

magnum
10/13/13 8:05 pm

Because tony doesn't want you to believe in god.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/13/13 7:58 pm

I am an out and out atheist. Actually, to say I'm an anti-theist would not be inaccurate.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/13/13 7:58 pm

(Also not sure why I got this poll.)

magnum
10/13/13 8:02 pm

I'm pretty sure it got sent to everyone.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/13/13 8:02 pm

Seems to be. I don't think it was supposed to, though.

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/13/13 7:55 pm

I'm more on the "no creator" side. Especially when I ask Christians why they believe and they give me some BS answer. I want there to be a god, I want children who die way too soon to have a second chance. But this is not a fairy tale world.

Cole12 ...
10/13/13 7:55 pm

I'm an agnostic but leaning atheist. My reasoning is that while there's no proof that there is/isn't a god, so many things can now be explained through science. It just doesn't seem like a higher power was necessary for the creation of the universe.

magnum
10/13/13 7:51 pm

I'm more of an atheist. But, if you can prove to me (with actual evidence) there was a creator then, I will change my beliefs as any person of science does. That's the advantage religious people don't seem to have as a whole.

SugarShaq
10/13/13 7:57 pm

The bible is not a book about science, but about the history of mankind's relationship with God. It has accurately predicted human events and eras. The reestablishment of a Jewish Israel was foretold thousands of years ago. Israel is proof enough.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/13/13 8:01 pm

Thanks so much. You know what else? The sun is going to rise tomorrow. I, too, am prophetic.

magnum
10/13/13 8:01 pm

Nostradamus made a lot of predictions to. No one ever remembers all the wrong ones.

SugarShaq
10/13/13 8:18 pm

Ok violence ;) we have discussed this before. When you see the temple being rebuilt then you can read up.

And God doesn't state inaccurate ones. Nostradamus was not God.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/13/13 8:20 pm

Lulz. I am laughing AT you, just so's you know.

SugarShaq
10/13/13 8:23 pm

I could care less. I am an excuse for you to laugh at God.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/13/13 8:26 pm

Nah. I don't do that. That would be like laughing at unicorns.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/13/13 7:42 pm

Was this supposed to be a targeted poll? If so, I shouldn't have gotten it.

kailac VFL
10/13/13 7:44 pm

Me either.

Octopus
10/13/13 7:42 pm

I consider myself an agnostic atheist. I do not believe there is any sort of creator, but I'm also not confident enough in anything I don't know to definitively say that there isn't or that there couldn't be.