fixitlater October 13th, 2013 10:33pm

Would you rather be wealthy in today's society with all of the problems we have or live in a society where you were given a job based on your ability and everything you need was given to you?

TierasPet
10/14/13 5:32 pm

I wouldn't want someone to pick my job for me. I'd feel belittled.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
10/14/13 10:09 am

College life in a dorm is like the latter, but I doubt that a society could be run for very long like that. Even though it had the commune style community property that communism calls for and was quite nice, it was capitalism that made it nice.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
10/14/13 10:11 am

The university that I attended had to compete with other universities to get students. Quality of student housing was one of the tools they used to get students to attend (and pay).

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/13/13 4:23 pm

The latter sounds like Plato's ideal society from The Republic.

fixitlater My Life
10/13/13 6:51 pm

I am not that intelligent.

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/13/13 7:19 pm

I think you underestimate yourself.
The basics: An ideal society consists of three main classes of people—producers (craftsmen, farmers, artisans, etc.), auxiliaries (warriors), and guardians (philosopher-kings)

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/13/13 7:19 pm

I think you underestimate yourself.

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/13/13 7:27 pm

Each group must perform its appropriate function - ex: rulers must rule, auxiliaries protect the state and enforce the ruler's convictions, and producers exercise whatever skills nature granted them.

fixitlater My Life
10/13/13 3:36 pm

This is tough for me. Active Army is like the latter. It was easier that the civilian world and very rewarding. The civilian world is reality and real people thrive here.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
10/13/13 6:57 pm

He says with almost exclusively lower-case letters.