Rocker October 13th, 2013 7:01pm

Follow-up to a question I asked earlier: is it possible to be a Christian and support abortion?

EmWalt Meet Jim the Duck
10/14/13 3:13 am

If you support abortion and say you are Catholic (or some Christians) then it's grounds for excommunication.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/13/13 10:35 pm

If you're a Christian, you believe life begins at conception. I don't know how you could think it's okay to kill someone...most people who are pro-choice don't believe it's a baby, so they don't think of it as ending a life.

skinner Wisconsin
10/13/13 7:14 pm

Sure, I don't believe abortion is explicitly mentioned in the Bible.

EmWalt Meet Jim the Duck
10/14/13 3:15 am

No, but we are called to protect life (that's in the Bible) and we believe life begins at conception. Therefore, abortion is ending life.

skinner Wisconsin
10/14/13 4:25 am

Life is protected but I don't see anything in the Bible supporting the notion that life begins at conception.

curly
10/13/13 5:20 pm

Yea, I think it's possible. If you don't believe that it is a human life being ended, then I don't see a conflict between the two. And like others have said below, being a Christian doesn't mean u make all the right choices.

EmWalt Meet Jim the Duck
10/14/13 3:14 am

Yes, but all Christians are called to believe that life begins at conception. Therefore, anything after that is still life, and in abortion life is being ended.

icytoes the tepid north
10/13/13 4:22 pm

Not if by Christian you mean "follower of Christ"

Statek Im from the Internet
10/13/13 8:40 pm

Oh, you're a follower of Christ too? How many people have you stoned recently?

icytoes the tepid north
10/13/13 11:16 pm

Christ didn't stone anyone - have you ever read a bible? I'm not trying to be rude - I honestly don't know why you would ask that.

mphanley Small Town
10/13/13 2:38 pm

Based upon my understanding of God's word, it would seem to be counter to Christianity...but we must not condemn someone for their choice, we must love them like Jesus

SugarShaq
10/13/13 2:32 pm

Obama claims to be christian yet supports abortion. And blacks make up 14% of population yet are 40% of abortions. It is modern genocide.

SugarShaq
10/13/13 2:35 pm

PP founder:
"...human weeds,' 'reckless breeders,' 'spawning... human beings who never should have been born."

"We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population,"

MrEdwin Mystery
10/13/13 2:41 pm

I don't see the reason to add the black statistic.

SugarShaq
10/13/13 2:55 pm

When PP was founded based in racism it is an important statistic.

theavgguy I.E.
10/13/13 2:28 pm

People are confusing personal morality, and governing. You either believe in a plural form of government ours or a singular form of government Islam.

swjboucher Just Run
10/13/13 1:46 pm

I don't see it. But it's not my call. Thank God.

SugarShaq
10/13/13 1:31 pm

No, it is not possible to claim to honor God's word and support abortion.

musicfreak Loving Life
10/13/13 1:26 pm

That's a hard one. I personally think abortion is wrong.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/13/13 12:29 pm

I see supporting abortion and choice as two different things, I think it's possible to be a Christian and support choice and still being against abortion. I pray that everyone makes the right choice and also pray they are able to live with that.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/13/13 12:22 pm

While a young Christian, I supported it out of ignorance until God led me to the truth about it and opened my eyes. So my answer has to be, "Yes, but God won't allow you to support it for long!" You have to have a heart of ice or stone to continue.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/13/13 12:42 pm

I was conflicted & confused for long time. My heart breaks for those in crisis. But Prov 8 & Psalm 139 created conflict of conscience. Then I miscarried, followed by successful pregnancy. For *me*, that ended both confusion & conflict.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/13/13 12:53 pm

I'm sorry for your loss, and I rejoice with you over the child that God used to put an end to your conflict. What a pleasure it is having you here on SoH! May God continue to bless you richly! ❤️

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/13/13 1:27 pm

Well, golly gee! Thank you! :-D

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/13/13 4:33 pm

TAG, good to hear from you, Night Owl! Rape is a sensitive subject, but my take is this: Ma'am, if I happened upon you being raped, God forbid, I wouldn't hesitate to use deadly force to stop it and save you. But if a pregnancy results from that

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/13/13 4:40 pm

rape, the child you are pregnant is not guilty of any crime, and certainly not deserving of the death penalty. There is a childless couple waiting desperately to adopt for EVERY ONE of the 4,000 babies that are aborted each day in America

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/13/13 4:41 pm

instead of being adopted out.
That's my answer to the "rape exception."

theavgguy I.E.
10/13/13 4:50 pm

There are 250,000 children in the US waiting for adoption now. These are children just in CPS. There were 135,000 children adopted last year and that includes adoptions from overseas, so where are these families going to come from for the additional 1.46 million children?

theavgguy I.E.
10/13/13 5:04 pm

A woman would also be forced to face the trauma not just for the rape, but the pregnancy & the delivery.

theavgguy I.E.
10/13/13 5:05 pm

Good to hear from you also.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/13/13 5:10 pm

I think that's a small price to pay to avoid killing an innocent child. Not minimizing the stress and psychological effect, just balancing it against the value of a life.

theavgguy I.E.
10/13/13 5:12 pm

Where you going to get the families to adopt all these new babies.

theavgguy I.E.
10/13/13 5:14 pm

And I disagree about a small price to pay, a friend of mine committed suicide because it happened to her.

theavgguy I.E.
10/13/13 5:17 pm

I would also like chapter and verse where it says you can exert your will on another person. Morality is a personal decision. When religion starts exerting its will on the people we call it the Taliban.

HayleyS looking up.
10/13/13 12:20 pm

If you don't think that a fetus is a life, then I don't see what it has to do with what your religious beliefs are.
If you truly think that a fetus is a collection of cells, then that perception of abortion doesn't exactly contradict Christianity.

SugarShaq
10/13/13 1:33 pm

And that is a rewrite of Gods word

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/13/13 12:17 pm

Yes. What one says they believe & what one does in practice can be - & often is - in conflict. The ongoing process of sanctification is that process which causes one to come face to face w/such contradictions. Surrendering our will to His, a process.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/13/13 12:21 pm

Salvation not dependent upon perfect sanctification. Salvation provides leverage against our desire to conform our will to His Nature & perfected will for our good. As we walk deeper into sanctification, our perceptions/understanding are transformed.

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
10/13/13 12:09 pm

You can be a Christian and sin. Abortion is a sin even if society today deems it not wrong it still is morally speaking wrong in the true ruler, God

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
10/13/13 12:09 pm

But at the same time who am I to judge? As the new pope has said

steelcity Pittsburgh
10/13/13 12:12 pm

So would you agree that we can make the judgement that being a Christian and supporting abortion is contradictory, but that we cannot judge someone's salvation status.

Rocker saved by grace
10/13/13 12:56 pm

Supporting it and making a mistake are different.

Rocker saved by grace
10/13/13 12:57 pm

I don't think we can judge salvation, however, the Bible tells us that we will know them by their fruits. I'm still seeking revelation in regard to this.

steelcity Pittsburgh
10/13/13 1:04 pm

I think I would significantly doubt the salvation of someone who openly supported Christianity and abortion. However, it may merely be a lack of information or perception as you implied, so I wouldn't necessarily call them on the salvation issue.

political Georgia
10/13/13 12:06 pm

It is hard for me to answer this question because I am a pro-life Christian. I would argue that it may be hypocritical in my mind, but yes people are pro-choice and Christian.

kscott516 EB rules
10/13/13 12:20 pm

Would you argue that they are true Christians? I would say not. To be Christian means to turn from sin.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/13/13 12:25 pm

Come, let us reason together. Sanctification is a process the imperfection of which does not negate Resurrection work of Yeshua. I see thru a glass darkly. As my eyes are opened via sanctification, I surrender my sin-areas to Him.

political Georgia
10/13/13 12:25 pm

I truly believe that some liberals believe that it is the woman's right from a governmental standpoint, but from a personal standpoint they have a different belief. Sorry, for my rambling I will eventually address your question. Are they a true a

political Georgia
10/13/13 12:28 pm

.....Christian? I don't know! That is God's decision, but I do see your logic kscott. If you are a Christian, you are a Christian in every walk in life. Therefore, if you pick and choose when you support a Christian belief, you are not only a....

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/13/13 12:28 pm

Hindsight is 20/20. Now that recognize, understand & embrace reality that He knits us together in womb & breathes life into our forming life, it is no-brainer. I struggled thru that understanding for a time. I wasn't in sin. I was deceived & confused

political Georgia
10/13/13 12:29 pm

....hypocrite, but I may question your true beliefs in God's word.

political Georgia
10/13/13 12:31 pm

I answered sure just because I cannot judge whether or not someone is a Christian. That is God's job.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/13/13 12:34 pm

Can now demonstrate scientifically & developmentally that by time woman realizes she's pregnant, a human entity has begun life & begs for protection. Counseling abortion & miscarriage survivors further confirms spiritual reality of personhood.

kscott516 EB rules
10/13/13 12:38 pm

We are not to judge as all of us are sinners in God's eyes but as Christians we are to turn from sin no matter how difficult. He knows we will ultimately fail but we cannot purposely sin.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/13/13 12:49 pm

Agreed. Issue then becomes, @ what point do you *recognize* disobedience in specific area? I'm accountable to repent/change direction @ point He causes me to appreciate I am in contradiction w/His will. Grace covers until "knocked off donkey."

Keldeo Laverre City
10/13/13 12:03 pm

Explicitly supporting the breaking of one of the most essential commandments? No I don't think so.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/13/13 12:03 pm

Well Christians have the second highest amount of abortions next to Catholics so I'm going to go with yes.

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
10/13/13 12:04 pm

Catholicism is a sec of Christianity

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/13/13 12:07 pm

Well they are listed as two separate things on the list of religious percentages that gets abortions.