projectlost Lost
04/03/13 8:18 am

Only when they are going into me.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
04/02/13 12:02 pm

I'm not afraid of needles. I am afraid of puncturing skin. It is different.

Penn555 Maine
04/02/13 4:44 am

I'm just afraid of shots. I can get an IV without blinking an eye. Shots just scare me because I'm always afraid there'll be side effects. I got really sick after my 5-year-old tetanus shot so it still scares me.

Futurama St. Thomas Estate Fortuna
03/30/13 9:06 pm

????I have I have 12 piercings and 2 half sleeves and several other tattoos. I can watch people take blood from me. But if you come at me with a syringe. I freak. Strange dr putting strange fluids in by body that have viruses in them. No thanks. I almost cry like a baby with shots.

beanD California
03/30/13 8:35 pm

These party filters weird me out. Anyway, I hate needles. They poke me. I once knelt on a sewing needle, and it sank halfway into my knee.

beanD California
03/30/13 8:37 pm

The irony is, my mom is a lab tech and draws blood for a living.

susanr Colorado
03/30/13 8:32 pm

Not any more. I had a moderate fear when I was made supervisor of hospital lab staff that included all the phlebotomists, and I had to pitch in & help draw blood at times. My fear of poking people with needles was much worse than my fear of getting poked, but I managed to get over it, mostly.

susanr Colorado
03/30/13 8:35 pm

Every once in a while I would find myself standing over a patient, holding a long thin metal tube with a sharp point stuck into their arm and think to myself "What the hell am I doing? This is totally unnatural and creepy!" I also let new phlebotomists train on my arms. They have to start somewhere.

Futurama St. Thomas Estate Fortuna
03/30/13 9:09 pm

Yeah Suzan I'm thinking of doing that. I handle blood well.

Emma Austin.ish.
04/01/13 3:05 pm

I have my phleb certification, but I always worried I would hurt someone. Which is why I'm not doing that anymore.

susanr Colorado
04/01/13 3:12 pm

Coincidentally, I had blood drawn today at my new doctor's office. There was only the tiniest twinge. I swear they're making needles sharper or other or something these days. It almost never hurts, and my veins aren't getting any easier to poke as I age.

susanr Colorado
04/01/13 3:14 pm

I was always afraid of hurting people too, especially children, and elderly folks with fragile veins. We had a 2-poke rule: If you didn't get it the 2nd time, you got someone better to do it.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/30/13 8:28 pm

No. The little boy take care of was giving me a real bad time about dinner one night I finally infestation told him "When you pay the bills you call the shots". He told me he didn't want a shit. He shut up and ate his dinner. I didn't explain matters to him.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/30/13 8:07 pm

No, unless they get within about a foot of my eyes. The thought of getting a needle poked in my eye freaks me all the way out.

ryno Flyover Country
03/30/13 8:00 pm

Been in the hospital enough and donated enough plasma that I'm not anymore.

RJ1969 SoCal
03/30/13 7:49 pm

Only pine needles. Scared shtless of them!

zman117 Ohio
03/30/13 7:42 pm

I do! and the funny thing is I'm a type - 1 diabetic.

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
03/30/13 7:44 pm

Oh my lord you poor thing!! How awful!

zman117 Ohio
03/30/13 7:44 pm

I meant to say did, after awhile with diabetes you get used to it. Although I'm still not the biggest fan of giving blood

zman117 Ohio
03/30/13 7:45 pm

Lol I had a typo, I'm not afraid of them anymore

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
03/30/13 7:47 pm

Oh! Well thank goodness you got past that point. What a mess mentally that would be if you hadn't.

zman117 Ohio
03/30/13 8:07 pm

Lol I don't know how you could do it. I'm sure there is people that have that problem. But like I said eventually you get used to it. I take my blood sugar several times a day, so I have literally had to do it several thousand times. Plus all the shots, so there is no way a person could do that

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
03/30/13 8:22 pm

Well there would just have to be someone there to do it for them, assuming they have someone. I mean, I guess if your desperate you could pay a neighbor to do it. Tax Free, bitches!

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
03/30/13 7:38 pm

Nope, never bothered me but I have an estranged (read: idiot) cousin who was so frightened by them she had three abortions so she wouldn't have to go through pregnancy and labor from fear of them. Prob not the entire reason, but the fact that she told me that out loud....ugh.

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
03/30/13 7:46 pm

Yeah and that's the first (and prob last) time I've ever just laid out my dirty laundry to the public but it was relevant and I just wanted to tell you strangers that there are dumbass women out there that make us good 'un's look bad!

Melon No Ducklips
03/30/13 7:54 pm

Nothing to fear. We all have skeletons in our closets. I have secrets that I have kept FOR someone I despise and for someone who treats me like crap. I keep it to not hurt others that it pertains to.
But we all have them.
This secret is: my ex wife had an abortion to a man all while married to me.

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
03/30/13 8:05 pm

Feels better now that you told some strangers, eh? I feel better that you confirmed there's skeletons everywhere. Know that you're secrets safe with me!

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
03/30/13 7:36 pm

I've considered phlebotomy and have zero aversions to needles. I don't think they hurt.

Melon No Ducklips
03/30/13 7:36 pm

Used to but I've been poked with so many it doesn't bother me anymore.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
03/30/13 7:38 pm

I know how that is. I've had times where my bloodwork was contaminated or lost and it had to be taken more than once a day.

Melon No Ducklips
03/30/13 7:41 pm

I hate when they poke you and can't seem to find a vein. Then keep poking you until they get a "good" one. Ugh

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
03/30/13 8:07 pm

Melon, ask for a new nurse after the second time. After the second "poke" their "feel" is off, they should understand. Plus it puts their perspective to "need to work on that" and the new nurse to look like a hero. Win-Win.

Melon No Ducklips
03/30/13 8:12 pm

Yeah. The one nurse that did that, got the idea when I gave her the stink eye. Hehe

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/30/13 8:32 pm

When I was in the ER he had a very hard time threading the vein. My daughter was there she is a nurse at the same hospital. I think it made him more nervous.