HayleyS October 13th, 2013 6:29pm

Would you feel uncomfortable if your baby's daycare teacher was a man?

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
10/15/13 9:01 pm

Yep, I prefer a man because there are SO many female Pedophiles out there!!

astroguy6000
10/14/13 5:22 pm

A boyfriend just killed a baby!

Rosebud Ohio
10/13/13 3:03 pm

It depends on the man. A lot of worn I wouldn't be okay with as well. But I've only had my parents watch my children, no one else as of yet. When my daughter starts preschool, we're sending her to the one at our church because I know many of the adults who work it. And yes, some are male.

Rosebud Ohio
10/13/13 3:05 pm

I'd rather just have someone capable. My husband was asked not to bring our 2 year old back to the 2-3 class in church until she's potty trained, bc the new teachers are too old to lift her every time for a change if she needs it. I don't take her back now bc they physically can't care for her,

Rosebud Ohio
10/13/13 3:07 pm

Which is utterly ridiculous. I was shocked that the only people with an attitude like that are working with such young children. 2 women. Saddened, too, because she loves the class. Give me a younger man any day.

larkspur one race. human.
10/13/13 3:02 pm

For a baby? I don't know if uncomfortable is the word, but I would prefer a woman. For an older child (4+), I wouldn't care. Call me sexist but women tend to be more nurturing and when they are babies they need that.

GeneralDevin MN
10/13/13 2:20 pm

Those that voted yes are sexist. You assume the man won't be as good as a woman hence you get uncomfortable with it.

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/13/13 3:16 pm

Yep, I'd want a serious background check. I know I'm usually so liberal and open minded - not in this case.

opie99 left coast best coast
10/13/13 1:17 pm

I think a male teacher would be better able to handle my son. He is mega High energy, very physical.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/13/13 12:59 pm

No more so than if that teacher were a woman. I'm freaked out enough just having the kid.

HayleyS looking up.
10/13/13 1:07 pm

Hahaha nice

swervin Maryland
10/13/13 12:03 pm

I thought this was 2013, not 1950. If a woman can be a mechanic, a guy can be a daycare teacher.

osouless Whats Next
10/13/13 11:48 am

So you complain that we men don't stay home and take care of the children, yet you don't want to trust us with your children when it's a job? Logic?

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/13/13 1:58 pm

Huh? Who? Most people voted no, including most women - and the highest "no" percentage was from Dems and independents, who tend to be more feminist.

susanr Colorado
10/13/13 11:48 am

Certainly not. In fact, the person who ran the co-op daycare my daughter went to was a man. He wasn't the only teacher there (there was at least one other employee plus at least one or two parents) but it wouldn't have mattered to me if he were.

inge MIA
10/13/13 11:48 am

This got me thinking....I might perfer my son to have a good male role model to help care for him. I'm lucky that my son's daycare provider's husband is around often.

wiildkat Propertarian
10/13/13 11:45 am

No because I'm not going to send my children to daycare, so the man would be their father.

longhorn1 Kindocologist Hater
10/13/13 11:39 am

A 45 year old man hiding a massive pot-belly with Carhart jeans and a flannel shirt...yes.

A 20 year old with braces who wears his sweater tied around his waist...not so much.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/13/13 7:57 pm

I'm not sure I necessarily follow your logic.

MisterE Conservistan
10/13/13 11:38 am

The funny thing is that their are more cases of women abusing children than men. I'd have no problem with it, but I would prefer not to send my kids to daycare.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/13/13 11:40 am

Sexually abusing?? I don't think so

MisterE Conservistan
10/13/13 11:44 am

Abuse in general.

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/13/13 11:45 am

Men are statistically much more likely to sexuality than women. About 80-20. Physically, men still lead about 60-40.

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/13/13 11:45 am

Sexually abuse children, sorry.

MisterE Conservistan
10/13/13 12:12 pm

According to the administration for children and families, mothers are more than twice as likely to abuse their children than fathers.

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/13/13 12:17 pm

It's because they account for neglect as a factor. I agree that it's abuse, but we have to take these statistics for what they are.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/13/13 12:17 pm

But that is not sexual abuse - that is general abuse - and that is because overwhelmingly mothers have the responsibility for the full time care of the child. Sexual abuse is overwhelmingly perpetrated by men

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/13/13 12:22 pm

Shelly, I know you're explaining why the stats show what they do, and I'm sure you agree: child abuse isn't justified under any circumstance. Regardless of who is around them more.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/13/13 11:36 am

Isn't it sad. I went to a session at a conference once (an early childhood conference) about men in the field. Some of the stories about how the men on the panel had been treated were so sad. One man was older and he said the attitudes here in

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/13/13 11:38 am

California changed drastically after the McMartin Preschool case when the teachers (including a man) were falsely accused of horrific sexual, ritualistic abuse. Suddenly he was no longer trusted by parents. I try to hire at least one man in my

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/13/13 11:39 am

Center each year for diversity. But it is hard to find men who want to work with young children

kermie gaytopia
10/13/13 11:43 am

I went to a NAEYC conference this spring and I was one of about ten men in a conference of maybe a thousand people. It's unfortunate.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/13/13 2:07 pm

That's awful, Kermie :-( nothing like feeling like alone in a room full of 1000 people. I think it's disgusting the way so many people are distrustful of men who want to teach kids... Isn't that supposed to be a noble calling???

wego Utah
10/13/13 3:00 pm

I agree, that is unfortunate. I know a lot of men who are outstanding with kids. And kids benefit it from the influence of both men and women.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/13/13 11:34 am

Not at all. All of a sudden men are incapable of childcare? Give me a break.
If you're a good caregiver - you're a good caregiver. It doesn't matter whether you're a man or a woman.

inge MIA
10/13/13 11:32 am

It wouldn't bother me at all

HayleyS looking up.
10/13/13 11:30 am

There is another toddler aged Sunday school class at my church, and the teacher is a man. One of the mom's refused to bring her daughter to Sunday school anymore because she thought it was inappropriate for only a man to be there changing diapers..

HayleyS looking up.
10/13/13 11:31 am

That was really surprising to me..

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/13/13 11:33 am

Why would it? Inherently men will sexually abuse the kid or something given the chance. Men are just savage creatures unless someone comes and domesticates us. Ridiculous... Hope she isn't a feminist. Cause she wouldn't know sh*t about equality.

susanr Colorado
10/13/13 11:49 am

Because... there's something inherently *wrong* about a man changing someone else's kids diapers, but there's nothing wrong about a woman doing the same thing? I'm sorry her opinion of men is so negative, or... whatever it is.

wego Utah
10/13/13 12:42 pm

Does she bring a new bag of sand to put her head in each week, or does she just use whatever is there?

wego Utah
10/13/13 12:43 pm

Sorry, that was really mean. But really, those old stereotypes are absurd. Our very best babysitters have been male.

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/13/13 12:45 pm

*cough*wasn't mean enough!!*cough* ahh... Excuse me

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/13/13 2:08 pm

Wego, I found it hilarious and on point, not mean :)

MrMilkdud
10/13/13 2:54 pm

I change about 8-10 diapers a day. She's welcome to come to my house and take that job over for me.

screename1 Alaska
10/14/13 6:19 am

Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing MrMilk! I wish she'd been around a few years ago since I obviously was so incapable!