rachelnetanya October 13th, 2013 6:05pm

Do you believe that rape victims sometimes contribute to their situation?

HayleyS looking up.
10/16/13 4:29 am

If you get hit by a drunk driver and a seat belt saved your life, you contributed to your safety.
If you get hit w/o wearing a seat belt & died because of it, it isnt your fault you got hit, but your carelessness contributed to your death.

HayleyS looking up.
10/16/13 4:30 am

It is never someone's fault that they got raped. Ever.

But if you are at a party, you ought to be careful to watch your drink so that nothing gets put in it.

Don't walk down empty streets at night wearing provocative clothing.

HayleyS looking up.
10/16/13 4:31 am

Don't approach strange men when you're alone at night..

Seriously though, it is never you're fault for getting raped. But I think you can contribute to your lack of safety.

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/16/13 1:00 am

That question to this observer is like asking if banks contribute to their own robbery. Imagine the defense - I saw all those luscious greenbacks and I just felt they were asking for it so I took the money. They should be more careful not to tempt me

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/16/13 12:47 am

Most cases, no. But if a girl goes to a party with a bunch of guys, she should watch her drink very carefully.

jonfrei the boonies
10/15/13 11:15 pm

NOT to say "she deserved it" in ANY WAY, SHAPE, or FORM, I am afraid I have worked some cases where the girl's total lack of situational awareness & dangerous behavior did, in fact, contribute to the ability of the situation to occur, so yes.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
10/15/13 10:12 pm

It's like saying "you shouldn't have been carrying cash around if you didn't want to get robbed". Women should be careful and practice good sense and caution, but it's never their fault if they get raped.

jonfrei the boonies
10/15/13 11:16 pm

More like, "If you don't want to get robbed, don't walk around with a wad of cash in your hand where everyone can see it, at night, down dark alleys."

Mattwall1
10/15/13 9:37 pm

I don't care the gender of a rape victim. It's absolutely NOT their fault they were raped.

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/16/13 1:02 am

Good Matt - you are not just a smart young man but wise and thoughtful too. Stick to your guns. Lol.

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
10/15/13 9:34 pm

I can't help but imagine that if a guy really was inclined to rape someone... It wouldn't matter what she was wearing or how she behaved. It's all on him overstepping that boundary of consent.

icytoes the tepid north
10/15/13 9:30 pm

A known floozy could run around the streets naked - it doesn't mean she had it coming. That said, women need to take responsibility to call it like it is - it ain't rape because you changed your mind after the fact.