GoBucs22 October 13th, 2013 5:11pm

A train is speeding down a track towards 5 men who are stuck in place. You can pull a nearby lever to divert the train to another track where 1 man is stuck. Do you pull the lever to save the 5 at the cost of 1?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/13/13 12:31 pm

It isn't my lever to pull, or my decision to make. They got themselves stuck. I wouldn't pull it anyway though, thinking at least some of the five, maybe all of them, have a better chance of freeing each other than the one.

GoBucs22 Chief of the Obanjes
10/13/13 1:50 pm

5 die or 1 die. You can look the other way and let the 1 live or pull the lever and let the 5 live.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/13/13 2:10 pm

No, because the five are not dying as a result of my action or inaction, they're dying as a consequence of their own action. The one would be dying as a direct result of my action - there is nothing dumb about where he's standing on a dead track.

GoBucs22 Chief of the Obanjes
10/13/13 3:19 pm

It never says its their fault for being on the track. For all we know thy could have been drugged and trapped their by terrorists

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/13/13 3:29 pm

Still their fault for getting trapped then. I'm not killing an innocent to "save" an innocent. Or five. Or five thousand.

GoBucs22 Chief of the Obanjes
10/14/13 11:42 am

So terrorist fire a nuclear missile at your town and will abort it as the cost of your neighbors life. Do you kill him

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/14/13 12:54 pm

I'll kill the terrorist. I'm not killing my neighbor (unless he's the terrorist).

GoBucs22 Chief of the Obanjes
10/14/13 5:26 pm

Zod I respect your opinion but these questions have two awnser choices. The point of the question is you MUST choose. You can't just make up your own reasonable choice

GoBucs22 Chief of the Obanjes
10/14/13 5:27 pm

And I get what you're saying. But the question is would you sacrifice 1 to save the rest. No other factors are involved for this particular situation

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/14/13 6:30 pm

I DID choose. I don't pull it. We've been adding hypotheticals trying to find one where I might, but I really don't think there is one. I am not obligated to murder anyone ever, regardless the perception of a "greater good".

rlands
10/13/13 10:23 am

The trolley problem- bystander edition.

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
10/13/13 10:17 am

I pull it, not to kill the one man, but to save the 5

GoBucs22 Chief of the Obanjes
10/13/13 10:26 am

Yes but can you live with the collateral damage