Show Of Hands October 2nd, 2012 12:00am

Did your parents ever have the literal "birds and the bees" talk with you?

hexin Wisconsin
10/06/12 9:20 pm

My parents never mentioned any birds or any bees to me. I learned everything on the Internet. Honestly prefer it that way, talking to them about sex would be creepy.

magnum
10/06/12 10:27 am

Dad told me that sex is a lot of fun and a beautiful thing. Then told me to wear a condom and be safe. Hence, I have no children out of wedlock and I have a great fiancée. I don't regret a thing about my sexual history. Just glad I have a father who is a realist and told me what I needed to hear.

whatsername Hawaii
10/05/12 12:08 am

Not only did my older sister tell me about "the birds and the bees" when I was entirely too young, she also informed me Santa wasn't real.

...thanks a lot Mindy

Obie
10/04/12 8:44 pm

That is an excellent book! I hid it from my daughter in 3rd grade (if I gave it to her she never would have looked at it) and she came to me with it many times when she had questions. A lot of great discussions started with her saying "you know that book..."

clevername
10/04/12 12:12 pm

They tried... That counts right?

bstokosa Connecticut
10/03/12 8:50 pm

No birds ... No bees ... No talk of any kind involving sex education. Pretty much learned on my own and some friends.

MrLove lovers, dreamers and me
10/03/12 8:49 pm

I got so many metaphors that I had no idea what was going on.

Obie
10/03/12 6:26 pm

I bought my daughter a good age appropriate book and put it on her bed. About two weeks later she came to me with the book and a question. I answered her truthfully and she was satisfied. That book came out many more times with many more questions that led to many more discussions

Obie
10/03/12 6:21 pm

No I went to the library and read about it. Small town so the librarian ratted me out to my mom before I even got home. Mom asked me if I had questions. "Nope"

lilraerae Tuscaloosa
10/03/12 6:14 pm

Nope. Learned about it mostly on my own and from friends. All my parents told me was to be safe. But think I will definitely talk to my kids if I have them.

10/03/12 3:18 pm

My mom did when I was twelve, but she was about two years too slow on that.

qwerter Its a trap
10/03/12 12:32 pm

When I was 10 I read the definition of sexual intercourse. Never had the actual "talk".

Wert A picture of my junk
10/03/12 11:25 am

When you grow up around animals, there's really no need for the talk. It becomes pretty obvious pretty fast.

JanuaryLove
10/03/12 7:46 am

It seemed well worded to me, Tony. Unfortunately, the word "literal" has been so used and abused that many don't understand how it is properly used anymore.

babycakeslove Minnesota
10/03/12 6:40 am

I didn't really have the talk but I wish my parents like gave me a book. I figured out pretty quickly. I have 4 older sisters and a lot of older friends.

whatnow
10/03/12 3:44 am

Discussing human sexuality by referencing bees would be weird. Don't the males die after sex? Maybe good if you want to establish lifelong abstinence!

10/03/12 12:37 am

When my boyfriend turned 16, his dad went in his room and gave him a box of condoms and was like "we don't need to talk about this just here" and he said it was way more awkward than the talk probably would have been.

10/03/12 12:32 am

Your mom was ITCHING to do that omg

10/03/12 12:26 am

I think I accidentally reported you I'm sorry

praetorianus65
10/02/12 11:11 pm

@Tony : in that case no change - there never was any analogy I recall - just the truth.

brianparks69 charlotte
10/02/12 11:00 pm

Not the way tony describes it here then, but the sex talk came at age 11 when I got caught playing "doctor" with the girl next door...no birds or bees mentioned, just an uncomfortable dad explaining things :/
More detailed talk came that year in health class at school...

Tony SOH Founder
10/02/12 10:19 pm

I see from the comments that I should have worded it more clearly.

Tony SOH Founder
10/02/12 10:16 pm

In this case, literal = your parents literally referring to the birds and the bees instead of using some other analogy for sex. If I had just asked if your parents had the birds and bees talk with you, people would have assumed I meant any talk about sex.

BailiffQuimby
10/02/12 9:53 pm

Hate to ask, but shouldn't it be 'figurative' birds and bees talk? A 'literal' birds and bees talk would be a discussion about avians and insects, not a sex lecture.

JanuaryLove
10/02/12 9:50 pm

I replied no because my parents never has LITERAL talk about the birds and the bees. Yes, mom told me all about sex via several different ongoing conversations throughout my youth. But that isn't what this question asked.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
10/02/12 9:32 pm

My parents have slept in separate rooms in separate beds my entire life. I have no idea how they conceived 5 kids. Never had the talk.

10/02/12 9:31 pm

Love it! Exactly what I was thinking! :)

praetorianus65
10/02/12 9:19 pm

I'm flabbergasted there seem to be teenagers who don't yet know - not talking about try out, just know. Teachers, books, parents, friends, classmates - some people must have been away from the solar system most of their youth - or kept away.

rocketqueen
10/02/12 8:58 pm

My grandma one day in the car: "Bella, your mom got pregnant when she was 14. Don't have sex." That was my talk. Lol

dbrat East Coast
10/02/12 8:40 pm

Now ask me if I had 'the talk' with my son, hell yes, very early!

dbrat East Coast
10/02/12 8:38 pm

No, just, "don't come home pregnant"! Learned from my friend Lori at girl scouts.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/02/12 8:13 pm

I understand your concern, but please be careful to not swing the other way and not give him enough info.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/02/12 8:10 pm

Well hopefully you have a better understanding now, and if you ever have kids would be a little more specific… ;)

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/02/12 8:04 pm

Oh yeah, we probably talked about literal birds and literal bees before I can remember, but that is WAAAAYYYYYY different ;)

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/02/12 7:59 pm

Is that like the Internet on paper? =P

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/02/12 7:57 pm

Yeah, my mom explained sex to me in a realistic way. There was no immature talk of "the birds and the bees." That might work for some parents, but I don't see that as the best approach. Be honest and straightforward with your child. Answer their questions with age appropriate information.

gnott15 22401
10/02/12 7:44 pm

I learned from sex Ed class and the Internet but my parents have explained our family values on sex.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/02/12 7:22 pm

I think they gave up on teaching me anything years before it would have been time for "the talk". Instinct, hormones, magazines, and delightfully naughty older girls filled in the gaps.

38041 Georgia
10/02/12 7:21 pm

Haha, gross.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/02/12 7:08 pm

Tony, there seems to be a lot of confusion on this question....

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/02/12 7:04 pm

I feel sad for both of you. I was truly blessed. I was in jr. High when AIDS came about, so we had special HIV/AIDS classes. My classmates didn't like asking our teacher a lot of questions, so they would tell me their questions & I'd go home & ask Mom & return with answers the next day.

Sam95 Nebraska
10/02/12 6:57 pm

Yea they kinda did when I was in 7th and 8th grade but by then I already knew most of it from school and friends.

potusa Virginia
10/02/12 6:49 pm

Cant blame them, TV was quicker to the punch

Jzz California
10/02/12 6:43 pm

The numbers for this poll amaze me. I would be interested in seeing numbers on how many parents are passing ignorance along to their children. Reproductive health is very important. When will this country get passed its puritanical ethos.

Bolide
10/02/12 6:40 pm

Well, the LITERAL talk would be a talk about actual birds and bees. So I'm going to be that kind of person and be technical. Yes.

Eowyn
10/02/12 6:14 pm

that's messed up

bashful8
10/02/12 5:58 pm

It was more like 50 talks one piece of info at a time...when I asked, she answered. My dad....never