Crom6
10/13/11 10:57 pm

If you think life has a purpose based on magical thinking and lack any evidence, then that is sad.

10/13/11 10:39 pm

If you think life has no purpose that's sad

10/13/11 9:44 pm

Now I'm thinking about your arrogance accusation. And I've come to the conclusion that it is a double-edged sword. If I am arrogant for thinking just Christians are right. You are way more arrogant for thinking every religion is wrong. By your own argument, you're more arrogant than me.

10/13/11 12:22 pm

I also recommend that, as a professor of theology, try to comprehend the Christian view of death since you clearly don't.

10/13/11 6:16 am

The justification I've given is well over what is required of what any historical fact is expected to be.

10/13/11 6:10 am

only raised at the end of the world. It would have been easy for the Jews to eliminate Christianity had there been simply the desire to believe that Jesus ha been raised.

10/13/11 6:08 am

As for your "people want to believe something, therefore they do" theory, this is what is called cognitive dissonance. The disciples weren't expecting Jesus to be raised from the dead. And any proposal that he was without some strong reason wouldn't have made any sense since Jews thought people were

10/13/11 5:01 am

Jesus said render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. This was explicitly saying he wasn't going to be a military leader against the Romans.

10/12/11 5:18 pm

I know about Gnosticism, Arianism, etc. Your comments about Jews not believing in Jesus just further shows that the origin of the disciples' beliefs needs to be investigated.

10/12/11 5:15 pm

I don't ignore history. Especially by Christian history. Why not read about Paul from his own letters? They're great sources for his thoughts.

10/12/11 5:12 pm

If you just refuse to believe, fine. I can't force you to believe anything. I don't see what's wrong with determining a religion's historical merits or thinking another religion is false. If by hard evidence, you mean it can't be seen, then yes. However, verificationism is a dead school of thought.

10/12/11 7:10 am

Religion and the ppl in power at the time had very complicated issues. In short, what better way to change a nation then to say the all mighty god says it should be. I encourage u to research other elements historical criticism

10/12/11 7:01 am

One main reason Jews don't accept Jesus as the messiah is because in the Torah the messiah is an ordinary man, not the son of god and he is to unite the ppl of Israel. This still hasnt happened. One religion formed from another shows the political discourse of the time. Jesus (a preacher) spoke out

10/12/11 6:54 am

Ads up to politics, power and a need to control a population of ppl. Aside from the bible itself, I encourage u to read about Paul of tarsus (outside the bible), and the early Christian heretical practices. The history of Christianity around the time of Constantine is fascinating as well.

10/12/11 6:46 am

If the Christian god gives a purpose in this life, that's wonderful. Don't neglect the historical facts of where ur religion came from and how it came to be so widely accepted. Propaganda, war, and numerous ideologues wished to break away from the status quo. To many facts to list here but it all

10/12/11 6:43 am

I am a professor at the university of Michigan. I teach theology and political science. My education has brought me to my current conclusions about life. I studied many religions in depth in order to find answers. At the end of the day, they all mix fact w fiction, magic w reality.

10/12/11 6:39 am

I can't defend one and renounce all others. There is no hard evidence of anything u speak of. I will always be the person that needs to see the pig in flight in order to believe it can fly. If god exists, surely he should understand the brain he made for me.

10/12/11 6:36 am

@Austrian- u and I won't be able to convince one another either way. At the end of the day, my brain will not allow me to believe in a resurrection. Mormons, christians, buddhists, hindus, Muslims, jews and every other religion in our complicated planet contains controversial elements.

10/12/11 6:29 am

@kidA-we are having a respectful discussion.

10/12/11 4:01 am

But in this group, they had James as an early leader in the Church (and we know this from Josephus and other sources) yet nobody thought James was the Messiah. Everyone knew Jesus was.

10/12/11 3:59 am

said that he was the Messiah. Ether that or they went home.

10/12/11 3:59 am

By the way, the disciples knew full well that if your Messiah was killed, he wasn't the Messiah. That was the trend. There were other people claiming to have the Messiah. But when the Messiah died, they didn't posit that he rose fro the dead. They found his cousin or his brother or something and

10/12/11 3:54 am

significance of what it means for who we are and our relationship with God.

10/12/11 3:54 am

I think you have to look at Genesis 1, 2 and 3 as a myth. Now when I say myth, I don't mean a false story. I mean a story meant to portray that vast relationship of humanity and what life means. I think that is what Genesis is and that to look at it as a strict 6 day creation takes away the supreme

10/12/11 3:49 am

You wouldn't look at a symphony orchestra and just analyze each individual note. You would look at what the symphony is trying to say. What it means. And in this way, Genesis is a big picture narrative.

10/12/11 3:48 am

I don't think the majority of the Bible is a metaphor.There are metaphors in the Bible.Sometimes, depending on the context, you have to look at the Bible in what it literally says. Other times, you could look at what it literally says, but it makes kore sense to look at it like a symphony orchestra.

10/12/11 12:31 am

The fact is that every alternative explanation that you've given is completely ad hoc. I am perfectly rational in being a Christian.

10/12/11 12:30 am

This tomb was well-marked and public. It wasn't a secret tomb.

10/12/11 12:29 am

How would a movement that said Jesus rose from the dead arise in Jerusalem, where his bones along with those of his family could be found?

10/12/11 12:27 am

Most scholars agree that Jesus was buried in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea, not a family tomb. Also, Jesus was from Galilee, so there wouldn't have been any family tomb in Jerusalem.

10/12/11 12:24 am

In fact, scholars interpret archaeological evidence in light of literary evidence, especially when the literary evidence is as good as that of the New Testament.

10/12/11 12:22 am

Did I mention that there were the bones of 17 people in the 10 ossuaries?

10/12/11 12:20 am

Cameron also guesses that one of the other ossuaries is that of Mary Magdelene, despite the fact that the name on the ossuary is not her name, nor anything anyone called her in the Bible.

10/12/11 12:14 am

Matthew, why would he be in the tomb? He wasn't related to Jesus.

10/12/11 12:14 am

Cameron also makes two of the names in the tomb to be variations of Matthew, one of Jesus's followers, and Joses, one of Jesus's other supposed brothers. However, there are no grounds for this and those two ossuaries are actually evidence against the claim of Cameron. And even if The name is

10/12/11 12:11 am

Just so you know, this is how common the names on the tomb in James Cameron's documentary are. One out of every 79 males was named "Jesus son of Joseph." On out of every four women were named Mary.

10/11/11 11:55 pm

Now back to you, spoiler. Nobody analyzes history in the way you do. If we did, we'd never have the record of anyone's accomplishments ever.

10/11/11 11:54 pm

kidA, there isn't anything more productive than trying to convince someone of the truth of Christianity.

10/11/11 11:52 pm

If James didn't believe Jesus was the Messiah, he wouldn't have let them preach that he did believe. He, along with the Jews who were enemies of Jesus, would have been happy to point this out to discredit them.

10/11/11 11:50 pm

No. They would have said that James followed Jesus during his lifetime and continued to be a faithful servant to Christ for the rest of his life. It would have been embarrassing to have had James not follow Jesus during Jesus's lifetime.

kida
10/11/11 10:43 pm

I'm not going to comment on my views as to religion, but I must say, it's disgusting to see you pathetic people bicker over such petty detail. Believe what you believe and don't be belligerent Towards others. You're all wasting your time. Find something productive to do.

10/11/11 5:49 pm

What would it take for everyone else to believe Jesus is the mesiah? Tell the history books the his own brother believed he was

10/11/11 5:23 pm

James, supposedly the brother of Jesus, was convinced that his brother was the Messiah. What would it take for him to be convinced of that?

10/11/11 4:44 pm

It wasn't just ppl that saw him? Dogs, cats?

10/11/11 4:39 pm

If a possibility doesn't explain why the disciples held their beliefs, it doesn't explain it.

10/11/11 4:38 pm

But t wasn't just people that wanted to see Jesus that saw him. And Jesus's followers would have wither gone home or found a new Messiah. They thought being condemned by the Jewish Sanhedrin meant that they were condemned by God. They wouldn't have come to hold their beliefs in your scenario.

10/11/11 12:42 pm

The post appearances as far as I'm concerned can be explained. When ppl WANT to believe something they'll believe it no matter what logic tells them. Ppl still c Jesus today in various forms

10/11/11 12:39 pm

The origin of their beliefs doesn't matter. The possibilities are what matters