Show Of Hands December 17th, 2012 12:00am

Do (or did) you get along well with your father?

emsies Seattle
12/24/12 8:22 pm

I'm my daddy's little girl!
We have the best father/daughter relationship I have seen so far, no joke.

Adric Elkmont
12/20/12 2:28 pm

He was much better in his later years - like a different person. I lived in fear of him my whole childhood and avoided him as much as possible

FearToFall what is this for
12/20/12 3:31 am

Now that he's living with us again, yes.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
12/19/12 11:37 am

and guess who's stupid enough to argue back? yup, me. He HATES Obama, and I'm not a fan of him myself, but he is horribly racist, homophobic, and antiunion, (well he was non-salary at GM so I understand that part) so me and my sisters started joking that he was Archie Bunker lol

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
12/19/12 11:32 am

I have what you call a dysfunctional family. But it borders on eye rolling. My dad is a bully, and can be emotionally abusive. And unfortunately so can I. Now that I live with him, he does nothing but watch FOX news. So his political views are well..out there, and he loves to argue politics, a

Brrrrrrrrr
12/19/12 2:20 am

Another interesting thing about the gays, in my experience, is that there is no widespread rejection/hatred of God among the gays, even though all the major religions indicate in some form or another that God disapproves of homosexuality.

Brrrrrrrrr
12/19/12 2:09 am

It is quite likely that homosexuality also has to do with daddy/mommy issues, but any inquiry into that link quickly gets accused of homophobia and ignored. They have long been trying(and failing) to find a genetic cause. Last I heard, they have abandoned genetics and moved onto epigenetics.

Bosco7
12/19/12 1:47 am

For years the only gay male friends I knew all had dad issues.

Brrrrrrrrr
12/18/12 10:50 pm

This is not to say that all the godless have daddy issues, there will always be exceptions.

Brrrrrrrrr
12/18/12 10:48 pm

This also fits with the observation that the left has a higher incidence of daddy issues, as they also have a higher incidence of godlessness.

Brrrrrrrrr
12/18/12 10:45 pm

There may be a link between godlessness and daddy issues. Those that have bad or non-existent relationships with their human fathers will be trepidatious when dealing with their eternal father, and may be adopting atheism as a defense mechanism.

Bosco7
12/18/12 9:57 pm

I think there is a natural tendency to be more over protective of girls, and giving boys more independence. I would probably call my daughter first also. My son is much more resourceful and therefore worries me less.

Irrelevant United States
12/18/12 9:55 pm

I feel you. Both of my parents almost disowned me for rejecting their religion. I later lied and said I reconverted, because I didn't think being honest would be worth the cost of ruining my life. Now I avoid my parents as much as I can.

Sam95 Nebraska
12/18/12 9:35 pm

I love my dad. I could be in the worst mood ever and he is the only person that can get me to smile. He's always been there for me and gives great advice. He's the funniest person I've ever known. He's taught me right from wrong. I'm proud to say I'm daddy's little girl. He's one of my best friends.

liberalD Massachusetts
12/18/12 9:26 pm

Although me and my mom are closer than ever! I love my mom an will kill anyone who messes with her again. Thats a promise..

liberalD Massachusetts
12/18/12 9:24 pm

My dad beet me as a child, beat my mom. Was a total drunk and left at age 10. 26 now and dont even no where he is, hows it going or if hes even dead. Love you dad<3 ......

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/18/12 9:21 pm

my dad and I love each other, but we're so much alike in that we're both so stubborn that we fight a lot. my guess is that we'll get along a lot better when I get married and move away .

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/18/12 8:54 pm

Recently, I've been "out of favor" - meaning I don't hear from her at all - because my sister produced two children and I told her I had no plans on having any. That's about as private as I'll get besides the rest.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/18/12 8:50 pm

No. I don't hate my mom. We have an occasionally contentious relationship. But she's done a number of things over the years that have shown to me where I stand with her, so I treat our relationship accordingly. I said "prime" and should have said recent, really. Trust me, rest is worse, but private.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/18/12 8:20 pm

Do, yes. Did, no.

EmpHadrian
12/18/12 8:00 pm

Haven't spoken to my father in 8. Damn bastard beat me. Cant wait to dance on his grave.

langlsd
12/18/12 7:43 pm

I haven't spoken to my father in 14 years. He was never there for me anyways. I am 43 and I am a very involved parent. So, I am trying to stop the cycle of bad fathers in my family. My dad went most of his life not talking to his father too.

MrWalrus Undergrid
12/18/12 6:12 pm

My dad is my hero.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/18/12 5:49 pm

My father and I also worked together for many years. He and I are very much alike and we get along well.
Swimmingly.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
12/18/12 5:37 pm

Consider yourself lucky, honey :)

frostedchalk warehouse 13
12/18/12 4:55 pm

My dad and I work at the same company we ride together eat lunch together and I go over to my parents almost every weekend. My dad is awesome. We have a great relationship.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
12/18/12 4:33 pm

My dad is my best friend. We have always been extremely close and had an awesome friendship. I love my dad to pieces!!

mjohn620
12/18/12 3:01 pm

Hard to get along with an extremely racist narcissist...

timeout Boston Strong
12/18/12 1:48 pm

Nick I agree...

4x31r0d
12/18/12 1:02 pm

I wished I'd had more time with him. He died when I was only 22. Miss him lots.

satiricalnick meh
12/18/12 12:50 pm

My grandfather has nearly the same bio as your father. He's 91, dropped out of high school, worked at Weyerhaeuser for his whole life. He's an amazing man. My grandfather's and your father's generation was by far the best, theyre the ones who made this nation great.

satiricalnick meh
12/18/12 12:41 pm

You hate your mom because she called your sister first? Sheesh.

satiricalnick meh
12/18/12 12:40 pm

My dad was the good guy, my mom was the bad guy.

dcool Detroit
12/18/12 12:20 pm

My dad is the best father (and grandfather) in the world. He is my best friend. Growing up, he was always there for us and he still is. I couldn't have asked God to give me a better dad!

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/18/12 11:45 am

I've got a feeling that whoever liked this is sarcastic. Thanks, pal, I wish you the best.

prterri
12/18/12 11:02 am

Yes, he was a great man, great dad, and I miss him every day. In fact, he'd be 81 today if he were still alive. Happy birthday dad!

DavesNotHere where am I
12/18/12 10:31 am

Yes I did, and I miss him very very much!

hippiedude fields of green
12/18/12 10:22 am

My dad raised me from the time I was born when my mom left. So I have a lot of respect for him since he gave up his whole college life to raise me.

bweezy Shitsylvania
12/18/12 10:18 am

He's deceased. Could've been better.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/18/12 10:01 am

EB yes, he is. My wife and sister-in-law can tolerate short, infrequent visits, but both of my sisters' husbands are to the point where they just won't go. One of those is a very successful doctor - he's not used to hearing how being lazy and stupid has held him back. Dad's been like that forever.

jbn04110
12/18/12 9:18 am

I have the most complicated family system, so I'm gonna say my first father (my mother's husband) died when I was 3. My other father is awful. I don't think any of his children like him. He's the type of loser that procreated too much purely out of luck.

Dream Hogwarts
12/18/12 8:57 am

I look like him more like him than my mom too. Fair skin is a blessing and a curse.

Dream Hogwarts
12/18/12 8:53 am

I have a great relationship with my dad. I am a total daddy's little princess! I love him to death and I sometimes talk to him about things I don't to talk about to my mom.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/18/12 8:38 am

So I voted no for both.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/18/12 8:38 am

LOL wrong thread. My dad is insane, so we sort of get along, but I cannot trust him for a second.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/18/12 8:37 am

Outside, yes, but I voted no. Prime example: I'm in NYC a half-block from the Atlantic Ocean. The morning after Sandy, I had to call my mom (in FL) to tell her I was OK. She had already called my sister, who lives in New freaking Hampshire first. Thanks for the love, mom.