Brandon2018 November 24th, 2019 7:23pm

People dont have to respect you, you have to earn their respect first.

Robert0111 Oscar Romeo
11/25/19 1:17 pm

Agreed to a degree there should be some common shared respect between strangers. imo.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/24/19 10:06 pm

I think everyone deserves respect just for being human.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/25/19 12:01 am

Sure. The live and let live kind of respect, not the "hey man, I respect you" kind.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/25/19 12:17 am

I respect everyone until they give me reason not to. It’s arrogant to just decide who is worthy or not.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/25/19 4:25 pm

I dont think im getting through to you about what I mean.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/25/19 4:26 pm

Nope, you have some God complex that’s people have to meet your standards. That’s ridiculous!

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/25/19 4:32 pm

You have to earn my respect, I am a live and let live kind of person, just because someone exists doesnt mean they deserve my reverence. If you have a talent, or have done something good for me or someone else, then you get my respect. What I'm trying to get through to you is that I see respect as as a positive, not a neutral.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/25/19 4:35 pm

I see respect as a positive. I respect everyone’s basic human rights. They don’t have to meet my standard of respect. Now if they are assholes they have lost my respect. You can take your version and shove it!

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/25/19 4:51 pm

I also respect everyone's basic human rights. I hold no stranger to a higher or lower standard than another unless they do something for me or if I witness them do something for someone else. I think we agree it's just that you refuse to understand that. Respecting basic human rights is neutral, not positive.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/25/19 5:06 pm

No one has to do anything to earn my respect.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/24/19 5:08 pm

I believe in treating everyone with respect.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/24/19 6:37 pm

⬆️⬆️⬆️ this ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Someone can lose my respect but I start out with some respect for everyone, as I would like to be respected by others.
From there a person can lose my respect or my respect for them can grow, based upon their actions.

......

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/24/19 10:06 pm

I agree! Well said

Attikai Oregon
11/24/19 2:23 pm

That's the recipe for s failed society right there. Give respect and get respect.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/24/19 3:50 pm

In the poll's case respect doesnt mean being respectful, but having respect for a person. Theres a difference between the two.

Attikai Oregon
11/24/19 10:28 pm

I disagree. You should arrive to respect complete strangers.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/25/19 4:33 pm

Yeah respect as in not being disrespectful or disliking someone for no reason. I am all for that.

hannahlou wear a mask
11/24/19 12:44 pm

No, I think it’s the other way around. Respect everyone until they prove they’re not worthy of respect.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/24/19 2:03 pm

This⬆️

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/24/19 3:50 pm

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/24/19 4:37 pm

What’s this about me, Blue? 😂🤣😂

I was taught as a child to be respectful to adults, no matter what they acted like. I still go by those guidelines for most people. But I see the nuance here, between the two terms.

Even though I try to be respectful to all here on SoH, there are SOME that have not returned the favor, and have said some pretty ugly, vile things to me, and I do not respect them. And if you can read this, I’m not talking about you, because I put these people on ignore.

...

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/24/19 6:42 pm

I'm talking about giving the same exact response over and over and over again in the same poll comments. Ugh

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/24/19 7:13 pm

Isn’t this his poll and he’s just clarifying what he meant?

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/25/19 1:15 pm

Not if he needs to clarify it to each person that has commented, imho. Otherwise, all those people don’t understand what he meant to begin with.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/25/19 3:34 pm

Weve had this conversation before. If people care enough about the thread topic they can read through more comments and see the clarification given the first time. Drives me crazy when the same thing gets repeated over and over. I try to pick one thread in a comments section and converse there.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/25/19 3:36 pm

It’s his poll....if he wants to clarify to everyone who comments, that’s fine with me. I usually comment back to EVERYONE that comments in my polls. Do you not do that?

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 12:41 pm

I don’t agree, because I don’t want my view of other people to be “I don’t respect you” until proven otherwise. That puts a very negative cloud over human relationships, and society in general.

I *do* respect people as human beings until and unless they demonstrate that they don’t deserve that respect. (And even then, I try to understand what makes them seem that way, and if I was correct in thinking it.)

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/24/19 3:50 pm

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 5:30 pm

I’m not just referring to how I *treat* people (the “with respect”) part. I’m talking about my *attitude* toward people. Including strangers.

I think I know what you’re getting at, but I still don’t think a person has to *do* something to *earn* my “respect.” For me it’s just a given, until I learn otherwise.