bluerum29 November 24th, 2019 4:53pm

Do you view the new trend of calling someone "boomer" as an insult?

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
11/27/19 9:06 pm

It sounds condescending. And it makes me want to throat punch you. Not because I'm offended, but because it makes you sound like an asshole. But some of you did give me a good idea. I'm gonna start with the "ok milly"

commonsense America isnt racist
11/26/19 9:52 pm

What are hey going to do, Hit you with their cane?

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/25/19 6:02 am

I also think of boomer Esiason when I hear that

FitzDarcy Tre46on
11/25/19 3:01 am

I'm guessing the Millennials wouldn't wNt to be called a Milly

DonWichita Kansas
11/24/19 11:15 pm

No more than calling me a Kraut.
Nothing negative there.

jgf I have a few questions
11/24/19 10:34 pm

Yeah I'm a Boomer and proud of it. My generation was part of the civil Rights movement. Some of us marched and some of us sat at lunch counters.
My generation fought for women's rights. The pill was invented and women could choose when to get pregnant. There was a time that women could be fired for being pregnant even if married. Women and people of color could finally get a credit card in their own name.
The Boomer generation invented the cell phone and the internet.
Boomers fought for gay rights.
A Boomer created Apple™️
And finally, we had the best music

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
11/24/19 8:41 pm

How long have people been using “millennial” as an insult, exactly? I have no sympathy for people who do that and then complain about being called boomers.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
11/24/19 8:34 pm

The term in itself is not insulting, but the intent can make it so.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/24/19 5:45 pm

Yes, calling people names is insulting. It’s never meant in a good way.

paranoidandroid peace love science
11/24/19 4:37 pm

It’s intended as an insult but it only sheds light on the person who says it.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
11/24/19 2:43 pm

I know that they intend it that way.

DTFTW DST suks
11/24/19 2:07 pm

I just call them a Millie ....LOL

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/24/19 2:00 pm

No - it’s better than term I use for my generation: old fart

BadSeed Oregon
11/24/19 12:57 pm

Any term can be an insult if it is said with disdain

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/24/19 12:28 pm

I think stereotyping in general is becoming my most hated pet peeve. This is nothing more than a negative indictment of a person due to age. Whether it's a criticism of millenials, senior citizens, or whatever group, it's insulting. No different than an ethnic slur in my mind.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/24/19 12:32 pm

I look at "millenial" more as a cultural mindset than as an age group

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 12:37 pm

Thank you; that’s just about how I feel about it.

I suppose we all have similar situations, but I’m thoroughly sick of being insulted, and sometimes absolutely vilified, by more than a few people because I am a “Baby Boomer,” a liberal, an atheist, and to a lesser extent a female. And a little bit because I am a scientist. Cripes, I seem to be satan incarnate to some folks.

I also am thoroughly sick of seeing *anyone else* similarly insulted or vilified just on the basis of being part of some group (either inherently or by choice).

It stops dead any actual discussion. It means the other person isn’t listening *at all* to what’s being said; to what someone else *feels* or *thinks.* It dismisses them as a person - as a human being. It’s demeaning.

And it just never stops... Well, it seems that way sometimes.

It’s the thing that disturbs me the most about this place - and yes of course other places on the internet too, but I find it more hurtful and more disturbing *here.*

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/24/19 1:16 pm

@bluerum29 - it may be a cultural mindset, but society uses it to insult people of a particular age category.

@susanr - Well said. Your last paragraph really resonates with me. I used to consider the average IQ of the people on SOH to be a cut above the run-of-the-mill internet user. I don't anymore. People who "think" in stereotypes are either ignorant or lazy or both. And it's widespread here.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/24/19 1:37 pm

I'm technically in that age group, just barely, but I dont want to be categorized in that way.
I also think stereotypes exist because they are often true, that doesnt mean when someone uses one that they are actually referring to everyone in said group

Attikai Oregon
11/24/19 12:15 pm

It's a mild insult and I agree with characterization of it being dismissive.

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 11:21 am

It certainly seems *intended* as an insult, or at least dismissive.

RaidingWinds
11/24/19 11:18 am

Its the same as “millennial”...not an insult on its own but is often used to be condescending.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/24/19 11:31 am

Being called a millenial is worthy of gloves coming off

chickencookie Jihad Joe
11/24/19 11:12 am

Sticks and stones

MrsCrayonWax
11/24/19 11:04 am

It’s cringey groupthink like snowflake.

Attikai Oregon
11/24/19 12:18 pm

Yeah, it is group think since it's literally all about different demographic groups. Do boomers need to care about global warming or other impending challenges? No, they do not.

MrsCrayonWax
11/24/19 2:22 pm

I see people shouting ok boomer like they are witty and original and I think, bro. That dude is 43. He’s a genX.

suppressedID suck it Kyle
11/24/19 11:01 am

If it’s an insult, it’s only because of the way the boomers have acted the last two decades.

So I guess it is an insult.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/24/19 11:09 am

I think they intend it as such, but it comes off as petty and youthful ignorance.

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 11:25 am

Hi. I’m one of “the boomers.” (One of the oldest, in fact; I was born in the first year.)

Could you please not lump all of us in that stereotype? Like just about all stereotypes, I think it’s both an inaccurate characterization of the group as a whole, and also just another mechanism for divisiveness.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/24/19 12:21 pm

I agree with you, Blue! They haven’t seen the things that we’ve lived through. One day, they’ll understand where we were coming from, because the younger generation will be doing it to them.

This works both ways. For the most part, all generations have looked down on the ones that come after them, as the younger ones have pushed the envelope on what is proper and moral. And those that are younger are idealistic and think older generations are out of touch. I don’t see this changing any time soon.

...

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 12:29 pm

“all generations have looked down on the ones that come after them, as the younger ones have pushed the envelope on what is proper and moral.

I’d argue that there are *two* (maybe 3) stereotypes in there, and yet again I don’t like seeing all people of *any* generation lumped together like that.

I also don’t like the characterization that what causes the “looking down on” younger people, on the part of *some* older people, has to do with “pushing the envelope on what is proper and moral.”

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/24/19 12:53 pm

Susan, I was thinking of you when I clarified that with the phrase, “for the most part.”

You seriously don’t think that the generation that believed a woman couldn’t show her ankles didn’t look down on the ‘20 flappers because they considered their dress improper and immoral? That the generation that saved the world as teenagers in WWII doesn’t look down on today’s generation that can’t grow up until they’re in their 30’s?

That generations that saved themselves for marriage don’t lament the loose morals of people that jump into bed on the first date, many without even knowing the first name of the person they’re having sex with?

Because that’s what I’ve seen, both IRL, and also reading historical books.

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 12:57 pm

No, I don’t think all that. Those are *generalizations.*

I know that the generation that I “belong” to doesn’t have a single mindset about *anything* regarding subsequent generations.

And neither did any of the other generations you mentioned. And I disagree with the “moral” generalizations too.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/24/19 1:04 pm

I’ve seen the pushing of the envelope my entire life, by both younger generations and also Hollywood. Here is an article about how Hollywood has done it.

www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/10-scandalous-tv-moments-aren-scandalous-anymore-article-1.2442196

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 1:24 pm

Things change. And I don’t really give a crap about “how Hollywood has done it” - how do you know that Hollywood is *doing* it rather than just responding to what’s already going on? And no, I don’t want to get into a long discussion of Hollywood here.

Things change. What I’m challenging is not that they *have* changed, but you seem to be characterizing the changes as negative, and I don’t think that’s necessarily true.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/24/19 1:29 pm

I think we’re probably not going to agree on this, because there are many things that I consider immoral that I’m pretty sure you do not, and wouldn’t see the changes as immoral or negative. And there might be some things that you believe are immoral that I do not. Agree to disagree?

susanr Colorado
11/24/19 1:39 pm

Well, I have to agree to disagree, because I know we disagree.

But my point wasn’t really about changing morals, but that entire generations simply do not think the *same* about *anything.* It wasn’t the entire Baby Boomer generation that approved of “loose morals,” or approved of legalizing abortion or *anything else.* You will find plenty of older people right here who are strongly opposed to both of those things. When we characterize the whole generation with either of those things, we misrepresent all the people who don’t have the same opinions - and who didn’t lead their lives in any way that would result in them.

Some people criticize the Baby Boomers for being war hawks, given the Viet Nam War etc. That insults - or at least leaves out - all the people who did what they could to object to, protest against and try to stop, that and other wars.

And there are myriad other examples of how people of any generation are *different* from each other, and should not be “lumped.”

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/24/19 2:17 pm

I would agree with that as well, because I’m a baby boomer and did not approve of loose morals or abortion. I think that, because things happen during certain time periods, that those generations get the blame for whatever happens, maybe because ALL of them don’t stand against what, up to that point, had been taboo by almost everyone, if not everyone. One reason that you can’t blame ALL baby boomers for abortion, the drugs and sex of the 60’s, etc. is because the younger baby boomers weren’t old enough to have stopped all that. They had no say.

I agree with your last two paragraphs as well. But I still think that most older generations GENERALLY criticize and look down on the younger generations due to these differences, and the younger generations GENERALLY criticize the older generations for being out of touch with their world.

jfish82285 Tennessean in Colorado
11/24/19 10:55 am

The new use we’ve seen in pop culture is intended as a mild insult, but mostly to brush off what’s perceived as a boomer mentality.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/24/19 10:28 am

Well, that "ok boomer" is modern for "whatever".
Just reply "OK milly".

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/24/19 10:40 am

Really? I take it as short for baby boomer, calling someone old.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/24/19 11:22 am

So do I - "whatever" isn't a compliment .

TomM
11/24/19 12:15 pm

I like the OK milly. Maybe another could be OK snowflake.