jbar1 November 22nd, 2019 10:38am

Inspired by a post by @TheMusicMan, I am an Atheist, AMA.

Ebola007 Florida
11/24/19 6:11 am

I really don’t care enough to ask a question. Believe what you want. @TheMusicMan has me on ignore for some reason.

jbar1 University
11/23/19 10:25 pm

I used to be a member of a church. It wasn’t the organization that I had an issue with. I just could not make myself believe in an omnipotent being, to me it’s completely illogical.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/23/19 10:29 pm

So you haven’t visited different churches?

I think it’s illogical to think everything in the world came from a Big Bang. The more you study science the more you realize how everything has a pattern, a process.

...

jbar1 University
11/23/19 10:44 pm

Visiting different churches doesn’t change the belief system. Just because they are different congregations doesn’t mean that they significantly differ in terms of the fact that they DO believe in an omnipotent being. I also find your second statement to be true, the world does have a natural order to things. This is another reason that I don’t believe in a God, because they claim he is allowed to break the natural order in some circumstances. If there is a set of natural laws that we can observe, why would I believe that they are not permanent. I also never said I had an absolute belief in the Big Bang. I regard it as what it is, a scientific theory. If a better or more provable theory is created I would support that one. This is another issue I have with religion, the core belief would not change even in the event of a better theory.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/23/19 11:03 pm

On the contrary, exposing yourself to different churches exposes you to different people, styles of worship and opens you up to different views.

You do realize there are things we can’t explain. Such as being under water for 20 minutes and surviving.

God is a spiritual experience. If you’re closed off you won’t escape your head. God works through your heart.

...

jbar1 University
11/23/19 11:21 pm

Different people, styles of worship, and other such things I understand. But I disagree with the basic principle of the religion. I think that some of the more philosophical teachings are valid and I kept in touch with my community even after I decided that I didn’t believe, it’s just not something I can rationalize. I also think that saying something works “through your heart” is too convenient of an excuse. My heart doesn’t think, my head thinks, my brain causes my thoughts and my consciousness. Also, you say that there are things we can’t explain. I halfway agree. I believe that there are are things we can’t explain YET. Eventually I believe that all things can be proven or disproven. Remember, any technology advanced enough seems like magic to a primitive enough people. I think eventually we will know things that right now I can’t even fathom understanding, the same as we currently know things that even 150 years ago would have been unbelievable.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/23/19 11:29 pm

Jeremiah 17:10 ESV
“I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”

1 Samuel 16:7 ESV
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

Hebrews 4:12 ESV
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

....

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/22/19 4:14 pm

I don’t have a question but I guess....”good for you”. To each his own. I don’t care what another person believes

jbar1 University
11/22/19 4:17 pm

That is an incredibly respectful answer, I wish more people would think this way

TheMusicMan Community not Capital
11/22/19 3:45 am

Were you religious before? How did you make the transition? (What was your turning point)

If not, then what would you tell an overly-religious society to help them get over any fears or misunderstandings they may have about us?

jbar1 University
11/22/19 3:55 am

I was raised in a typical “semi-religious” (read: church on major holidays and Confirmation) Lutheran household. For me it was never really a turning point, I think I just realized that it didn’t make any sense to me ever since it was first introduced (my parents didn’t force it very hard and my father has admitted that his opinion is very “I don’t believe it really but just in case I will pray sometimes and want to have a Christian burial”), it is worth noting that neither of my parents attend church anymore, even on major holidays. The transition was also not difficult because even after I understood that I didn’t believe it I still attended some of the youth events simply because they were enjoyable.

jbar1 University
11/22/19 3:59 am

To an overly religious society I would address morality as a philosophical issue. Many religious people are afraid of how society has morality without a guiding code, my argument would be that there can be a guiding written code (and in fact many of the more abstract lessons in the bible not directly related to theism are good) to morality but that it does not have to be forced, most people will be moral of their own free will. It is the age old conversation that I will show as an example: “How do you have morals if you are not religious? Why do you not just rape as much as you want to?” The answer being: “I already do rape as much as I want to. None. None is the amount that I want to rape.”