TheMusicMan November 22nd, 2019 7:52am

Around a year ago, I joined SOH. I just got my first featured poll. So I think itโ€™s about time for an AMA (especially since my โ€˜ask an atheistโ€™ poll had a good turnout earlier this year). So please, ask me anything!

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/23/19 12:02 am

No questions but congratulations ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿพ. I’ve been here since 2011 and never had a featured poll. You’re fortunate and obviously a good pollsters ๐Ÿ˜Š.

11/23/19 8:32 am

Oh dude, my polls are usually hot garbage. But you’re one of the few that I constantly upvote every poll, so there’s no way you shouldn’t have been featured by now. Your polls are great.

paranoidandroid peace love science
11/22/19 7:55 pm

How’ve ya been? ๐Ÿ˜Š

11/23/19 8:28 am

Not that great. I messaged you a while ago but I don’t know if it ever went through

DJAria Coushatta, LA
11/22/19 3:51 pm

What did you do last weekend?

Do you follow your heart or head more?

Do you have any siblings?

What is the first thing you do after you wake up?

What was your first job?

11/23/19 8:30 am

What did you do last weekend?
- I decompressed and relaxed; it was finals week and I had just wrapped everything up.

Do you follow your heart or head more?
- Head, mostly

Do you have any siblings?
- 1 brother

What is the first thing you do after you wake up?
- Grab some water because dry mouth sucks

What was your first job?
- I worked for myself as a music salesman, actually. Still kinda basically do lol

DJAria Coushatta, LA
11/23/19 9:49 am

Hope your finals went well! I love music, too. DJ’ing is one of the things I do on my free time (hence my username).

11/23/19 11:01 am

I’ve actually considered DJ’ing but I literally do not know enough about it. It’s a pretty popular gig in my area, so I def envy you

HBNY this space for rent
11/22/19 11:20 am

You are one of my favorite users! Keep up with the good polling and commenting!

11/23/19 9:14 am

You are an absolutely phenomenal human being - I love you tons, please don’t stop being awesome.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/22/19 5:19 am

What inspired you to become a music man?

11/22/19 6:25 am

I was ACTUALLY forced into it as a child by my parents. I wants to play baseball. My parents - church musicians - wanted me to become a trained musician for church music (they can’t read it, only play by ear). I still actually resent it sometimes because they kept pushing me to only ever do the best, and I still carry that perfectionist and specialist scar, so I can’t even tell you what I’m good at that ISNT music simply because I don’t know. I’ll be going for my PhD in music in 2021, so I can be at the top of music-persons, and I still don’t know what I’m doing most of the time with my life otherwise.

11/22/19 6:47 am

I guess eventually getting a good paying job is my motivator right now.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/22/19 8:42 am

I’m saddened to hear you were pushed instead of allowed to explore. The wonderful thing about college is there are multiple opportunities to discover yourself. A PHD is impressive. Any ideas what you want to do career wise?

11/22/19 9:25 am

What do I want to do? No clue.

What am I studying for altogether? College professor.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/22/19 4:03 pm

With a PhD you could produce, write songs, represent or manage artists, develop music apps and be a college professor. The sky is the limit! ๐Ÿ˜บ

anniepoops fear the deer
11/22/19 4:31 am

What album from Miles Davis do you enjoy the most?

11/22/19 6:22 am

Jesus, talk about hardest question of the day. I think Sketches of Spain is one of my favorite albums of his, and I attribute that to the Aranjuez.

anniepoops fear the deer
11/22/19 10:43 am

That album is so sick. I get such enjoyment from listening to Solea.

Bitches brew changed my life.

Have you read his autobiography?

11/22/19 10:52 am

I think the biggest thing about jazz in general that changed my life was just doing it. I was always so antsy about if I could or not - because I was only a classically trained musician - but once I got into playing jazz, my whole musical career changed.

BB is a sick album, too.

I have not. I’ve got a ton of autobiographies and biographies in my “to read” stack.

anniepoops fear the deer
11/22/19 12:27 pm

That’s really awesome. I’m glad you could have that experience. What a cool thing to actually play the music.

It is. Wooo.

It’s a good one. He’s beyond fascinating. What a cat.

11/22/19 2:28 pm

You ever listen to Doc Severinsen shred some music?

jbar1 University
11/22/19 2:59 am

Rank these genres in order of how much you enjoy them: Rock, Hip-Hop, Blues, Pop, Jazz, Metal, Gospel, R&B, Classical, and Country.

11/22/19 3:17 am

I really like some of these on an equal level, so it’s easier to rank in tiers, but I’ll try to just go top-to-bottom.

Jazz
Classical
Metal
Hip-hop
R&B
Blues
Rock
Pop
Country
Gospel

jbar1 University
11/22/19 3:19 am

Interesting, albeit slightly surprising, answer. Sorry if the question was restrictive, what would the tiers have been?

11/22/19 3:47 am

Not restrictive at all! Just, like, I hold classical, jazz, and some sub genres of metal and punk on a higher level than just rock or rap or blues, which occupy a tier also.

What was particularly surprising?

jbar1 University
11/22/19 3:51 am

I was surprised that your top four were Jazz, Classical, Metal, and Hip-Hop. I fond these to be more different than some of the other genres I listed where lines can be blurry such as Rock and Metal or Hip-Hop and R&B. I think it’s very good that you have such varying tastes, and would hope that more people could listen to a wide variety of music but many of them are somewhat closed-minded. Even I am not innocent of that.

11/22/19 4:03 am

As a degreed musician, being musically open-minded is in my resume lol. But also, there’s just so much good music out there to not try and enjoy different things. Kinda like food.

jbar1 University
11/22/19 4:05 am

I agree it’s exactly like food. But that also means that while I will try anything and like almost everything, I often get stuck having 1-3 things for a long time hahaha. You have a music degree! How was that? I have been considering minoring in that.

11/22/19 4:18 am

To be honest, country and gospel are the only types that I just don’t listen to at all. Sometimes I’ll get an itch for very specific country subgenres, or like the new rap/country hybrid. But generally, I avoid it.

The degree was ok. Getting the field experience was more valuable in the long run but the degree helps with networking. Having it as a minor is just a resume filler if you don’t plan on doing anything else with it or if it doesn’t totally complement your major.

Wert A picture of my junk
11/22/19 1:12 am

What is your favorite note interval?

11/22/19 1:53 am

My favorite “standard” interval is the pure harmonic third. But I’m also fond of the “root and half-flat fifth” interval. Tonal music in microtonal environments is my favorite style of composition.