qmastrangelo November 19th, 2019 2:27pm

In general, do a poor black man and a poor white man have more in common with each other, or do they have more in common with a wealthy man of their respective races?

DJAria Coushatta, LA
11/20/19 2:11 pm

Each other.

As a black man, I feel I have more in common with white men that are like me than black men that aren’t. I’ll always share the skin color and the hardships that can come with it, but that doesn’t define who I am.

Wackacrat Harford County
11/20/19 3:09 am

The wealth gap is a greater class separator than race.

snagglepuss2 Spring has sprung
11/19/19 9:53 pm

The racial divide and income divide are linked. As poor as a white man is a person of color is worse off.

suppressedID keep Summer safe
11/19/19 12:04 pm

Guess which one has a better chance at getting a job and working his way out of poverty. 🤔

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/19/19 10:52 am

Poor white men don’t get followed by store detectives for shopping.

Poor white men don’t get mistreated by police for being poor.

Poor white men aren’t targeted by a hate-filled administration hell bent on ethnic cleansing of America.

Tariq88 Utah
11/19/19 10:26 am

They have more in common with eachother.

DonWichita Kansas
11/19/19 9:58 am

I believe the poor have more in common with each other than to any other "class" of people.
The plight of the poor can be understood by those who have previously been there, but to cross over into the elite class one becomes devoid of all such understanding.
Elites become a class all unto themselves.

skinner Jersey City
11/19/19 7:59 am

I think we all have more in common with each other than we realize, regardless of race or class. I think it’s time to put the collectivist conflicts of the 20th century behind us. We don’t have to choose between fighting a class war or a race war.

ArrowFodder ohio
11/19/19 8:57 am

I agree with you and I’m sure the poll author does as well. However The reality is that we are divided by class , and I can see this In my own family. The wealthy in Washington and on the west coast and in New York see themselves as the elite tilting class . Which is why they support the establishment’s elite in Government as well. That really is the way we are divided now . Not that we should be . It’s unfortunately true

friendlysadist
11/19/19 7:50 am

It depends on the value you ascribe to your race. I’ve met people who refused to talk to me because I’m a white guy. Those people would probably find more in common with the wealthy including the ability to communicate

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
11/19/19 7:35 am

This is inspired by a conversation with @CMChristian

In other words, do you think the class divide or the racial divide is a bigger fracture in American society?

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
11/19/19 7:35 am

As for my opinion, I’ll put it to you this way: In areas where significant numbers of people of different races live in the same vicinity, people’s social circles seem much more segregated by wealth than they do by color.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/19/19 8:04 pm

I would agree with you on this, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that those that are poor don’t have the money to DO things socially that those that have more money take for granted.