screename1 November 17th, 2019 6:33am

In WA we have a program high school juniors and seniors can enroll in where they attend community college for free. They graduate with their high school diploma and associate degree at the same time. Would you encourage your kids to participate?

chrism75 Dixie
11/17/19 8:09 pm

I work at a community college in Arkansas that does this. Most classes are done during high school hours. Comp. 1&2 take the place of high school English classes etc. and counts as credit at both schools, so no extra work is needed.

bjg1009
11/17/19 2:36 pm

Great idea. It could be especially valuable for students or families who might not have the $ for traditional college to get a degree under their belt or get credits to transfer to their bachelors programs and lessen their load there.

brookesmom
11/17/19 1:15 pm

Absolutely! I did running start and graduated an AA at the same time I graduated high school. Saved a bunch of money on tuition and was able to get my bachelor’s degree sooner than I would have otherwise. I felt like high school (mine at least) had a lot of busy work and moved at a snail’s pace through subjects. I didn’t participate in any thing in high school like sports, music, clubs, etc and I don’t regret it. Not saying it’s for everyone. But if I had kids I’d definitely encourage them to do Running Start.

auntiesamm Orange County CA
11/17/19 10:53 am

My great-grandnephew did in Snohomish County. Did very well.

CrazDab Florida
11/17/19 9:55 am

Deal with college in college. Live high school in high school.

PamGH Washington
11/17/19 9:01 am

Both mine did. It’s called Running Start here and it was great!

HBNY this space for rent
11/17/19 8:12 am

Sounds like a great program. Knowledge is power. Good education in grammar, math, and the sciences can set a kid on the right track for life.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/17/19 7:25 am

No, I see no need for kids to take college classes while in high school. I would instead encourage them to go to community college when they finish high school.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/17/19 6:50 am

Absolutely-it’s a 2 year headstart on life. Similar program in OR....I wish they had this when I was in HS. But it’s not for everyone. You give up a lot of the high school experience.....clubs, sports, activities.....that may not provide credit but are valuable experiences.

political Georgia
11/17/19 6:41 am

It depends on what they want to do for a living

FLSun Florida
11/17/19 6:08 am

My daughter participated in FL school, they are simply college level classes, and both HS & College credits are given, so not much extra time involved. Also, FL pays post HS education based on GPA, go FL!!

Kay41 the Midwest
11/17/19 6:07 am

No. I'm a high school teacher and see that already students are not spending enough time on their high school work. Even many of my best students tend to go through the motions and get the work done, but not really study to learn. I think adding more work to their workload is going to compound an already bad problem.

BadSeed Oregon
11/17/19 6:02 am

It really helps make the college experience less intimidating when they finally attend.

phalnx Ohio
11/17/19 4:58 am

No. That's spreading them too thin at too young an age. College is best when it's absorbed, not crammed.

TierasPet
11/17/19 4:08 am

Yes, I started my degree at a community college and I wish I had, had the opportunity to take some of those classes in high school. That program started after I graduated but I did see some high school students in community college where I started. I'm sure it's not for everyone but it would've helped me.

FitzDarcy Tre46on
11/17/19 3:26 am

What are the maximum credits a student can enroll in and receive state funding, and when do colleges charge tuition?
A. Running Start students may enroll tuition-free for a maximum of 15 college credits, but are limited to a combined 1.20
FTE when enrolled in both high school and Running Start courses. When a Running Start student seeks more credits,
colleges should charge appropriate per-credit rates for any credits beyond the 15 credit maximum or beyond 1.20 FTE,
up to the maximum credits allowed for all enrolled students by institutional policy.
They so not graduate from both at the same time.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/17/19 12:45 am

It sounds like a great idea.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/17/19 12:01 am

I wouldn't. I don't see the value in rushing them through school. They should enjoy the experience. Build relationships, do extracurriculars. Give yourself a chance to actually appreciate the subject matter you're being exposed to. Learn, don't just cram and move on to the next test. It's not a race. They have their whole lives ahead to work. Make the school years the best times of your life. You'll never have that chance again. Maximize high school, then maximize college. Each in their own time.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/17/19 7:27 am

Agree with everything you said but the best time of your life comment

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/16/19 11:55 pm

It would depend upon how much extra time this program required of them, how much extra pressure it put on them, and whether it would interfere with important extracurricular activities such as church, music, arts, dance, and sports.
I would also worry about how much it would throw my kids into contact with the older junior college students, because bad things could happen.

screename1 Alaska
11/16/19 11:36 pm

Yes! We lived in Oregon when the older ones were in school, but our 3 younger kids are expected to participate unless there is some unforeseen issue that makes us decide differently.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/16/19 11:56 pm

SN, what would you think about my concerns as expressed above? I know we have similar priorities.