Show Of Hands November 15th, 2019 4:56am

Tonight on Thursday Night Football, a defensive player pulled the helmet off of the Steeler’s QB and proceeded to hit him in the head with it. He’ll obviously be suspended, but should he also face criminal charges?

ThisIsKev Wisconsin
11/20/19 1:05 am

Everyone involved should be suspended and have some charges brought up. It's not like this happened out of the blue.

YouPostedCringe Michigan
11/18/19 12:30 pm

Assault with a weapon and civil battery.

baucoin18
11/18/19 9:03 am

It’s football lmao. Back in the 80s half the plays were assault. That’s why they get paid millions of dollars and we don’t

YouPostedCringe Michigan
11/18/19 12:29 pm

Except that is literally assault with a weapon.

LazySteelworker USA
11/17/19 3:11 am

Shouldn't even have been suspended. He was defending himself from an attempted assault and being pursued in a 3 vs 1 disadvantage.
Frankly I think he did too good a job of defending himself and that's what most are freaking out about. If the QB had gotten his helmet off first he'd very likely have taken serious damage but apparently the NFL and all the fans feel like that would have been more appropriate to allow that.

bossaliniee
11/16/19 1:08 pm

So we need to start charging the hockey players when they hit with the stick.

MJSeals J.D.
11/16/19 12:55 pm

Civil Assualt he is clearly guilt of. If the helmet made contact he would be guilt of civil battery.

Criminal Assault would require a helmet to be defined as a weapon. From a 1.5 year a of law schools, non-barred, not an attorney perspective, but having taken tort and criminal law this case would be good for a law school exam, but horrible to litigate. I doubt a criminal conviction would happen.

My vote "no"

11/16/19 3:11 pm

Ok. That is a fair response. What about the Pittsburgh olineman that was stomping on the Cleveland players head as he was pinned down by another Pittsburgh player? Would that not as well be assault as well?

I agree no charges on either player. I point this out because everyone is up in arms about the helmet swinging, which I agree looks bad and is bad and is being dealt with. But I don’t think people are being consistent.

MJSeals J.D.
11/16/19 3:32 pm

I didnt see that, but a hockey player once "curb stopped" - which a skate is basically a knife - and if he didnt arrested, I doubt an NFL player will.

But again, civil is a lot easier to prove than criminal

11/16/19 3:44 pm

I agree. A lot of the clips cut off before the stomping. It is for the league to handle not the courts.

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/17/19 9:38 am

Again this is football and if you have never been on the field it is a battle zone! Tempers run high and this is no different. Those of you screaming for “assault and battery” charges, any hit that leaves a QB injured would fall on the same area! Wished I could have played against those of you making such stupid arguments. I would have definitely tried to hurt you

MJSeals J.D.
11/17/19 9:49 am

Tempters running high on a football field are irrelevant. Fights are zero tolerance within the NFL handbook and that is what matters and all players know that. Each player has a duty not to purposefully injure another and this duty means not throwing punches or trying to hit people with a blunt object.

Meaning -football is actually weak in this regard. Had it been hockey, your argument would make sense as it tolerates fights.

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/17/19 9:55 am

Lol. Fighting happens in every pile. You get pinched, hit and even bitten. Not every play, but more than you think. When I played I definitely tried to hurt the other team. Nothing dirty, but I played to knock you out! That is part of the game. Of course fighting is an offense in the rule book. And it should be against the rules. However, get over the assault bullshit

MJSeals J.D.
11/17/19 11:36 am

Where are you studying/studied law?

11/17/19 12:44 pm

It was out side the rules of the game he has/is being punished. But as the question asked still a no on being charged

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/17/19 12:48 pm

Not a lawyer. MBA from Duke. I would have been a a terrible lawyer. Played Division 1 middle linebacker. Just giving my opinion

11/19/19 10:46 am

But he did stay at a holiday inn

kirikay Rural
11/16/19 8:01 am

Jersey Mike’s is way expensive!

MJSeals J.D.
11/16/19 12:51 pm

So close, but wrong poll.

kirikay Rural
11/16/19 5:59 pm

I was wondering when I read the other replies....

dudeguyman
11/17/19 8:24 am

Or a possible motive

IEatzCookies Alderaan
11/16/19 6:30 am

"an NFL player" why not just say it was the browns?

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/16/19 7:04 am

They’re barely an NFL team. Also a silly thing for you to get triggered at. Get a hobby.

IEatzCookies Alderaan
11/17/19 6:43 pm

lmao I was hardly triggered. what's eating your ass today, or are you always such a melodramatic crab?

political Georgia
11/15/19 11:44 pm

The NFL is secretly thanking this idiot for increasing their ratings!

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/17/19 5:43 am

Haha! They’re doing just fine, but they appreciate your concern.

patriot642
11/15/19 10:29 pm

If that is t assault with a weapon I don’t know what is. But I expect nothing less from the nfl. Spoiled overpaid brats.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/15/19 6:24 pm

It’s football. Get over it. It probably boosted ticket sales for future games.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/15/19 6:28 pm

The entire game is running and knocking people down. Assault, off the field. Those guys take such hits their brains turns into mush and then some guy responds to the aggression that he’s been taught and bang....he’s a horrible person. Meanwhile, I’m guessing ticket sales will go up. Hockey is aggressive. Fights break out, sales go up. Football will be the same thing.

......

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
11/15/19 7:07 pm

Physical contact is consensual under the rules of the game. Anything outside the rules that is not part of the game is not subject to consensual contact. If it’s not consensual contact, it is assault.
If I am playing paintball at the paintball place and the rules are that you can’t shoot people without a helmet. Someone has something on their eye and they take their helmet off or whatever, I can’t just go blasting their face in. That’s not the rule, that is assault.
Just because you are trained for something, doesn’t mean it’s okay. Police are trained to get shot at. Doesn’t make it okay to shoot at the police. Men can take a blow from a punch of a woman, doesn’t make it okay for a woman to punch a man.

11/15/19 8:54 pm

By your reasoning any player that punches a player, hits a player after the whistle, or the olineman that was stopping on his head should face charges. Can not agree with you.

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
11/17/19 3:23 pm

Depends on how reasonable it is. If mike Tyson bit off Holyfield’s ear (which he did), he should face charges. It is not something to reasonably happen, it’s not part of the rules.

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
11/17/19 3:24 pm

But if it’s a foul that reasonably happens isn’t the game, but is not allowed under the rules, it would not be subject to criminal punishment.

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
11/17/19 3:30 pm

Bashing someone’s head in is obviously not part of football

11/19/19 10:47 am

Neither is stomping on someone’s head. Consistency is hey here in any argument. And again I don’t think any charges should or will be filed

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
11/19/19 11:04 pm

That’s right, in my opinion, stomping on someone’s head intentionally in football would constitute charges

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/15/19 5:32 pm

He needs attitude adjustment-Along with Several weeks suspension, also fine his annual salary, for a whole year where he becomes a Thousandaire😰in stead of a Millionaire🤑, after that I’ll bet he never does it again🤯❗️

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/15/19 5:12 pm

Roid rage. But no I dont agree with charges unless he caused some serious damage to the person.

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/15/19 5:12 pm

No. Tempers flare during a football game. He’s already apologized.

chance Sirnotappearinginthisfilm
11/15/19 5:07 pm

Ah yes, thugball at its finest. Stay classy nfl

johnny81 narnia
11/15/19 4:55 pm

YES. Make him an example! That is unacceptable!

11/15/19 5:26 pm

Correct unacceptable. They hav suspended him. For the rest of the season and possibly into next season. He is being made an example of

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/15/19 4:23 pm

For those that want assault charges......are you such pussies? Play the game at a high level and then comment! You know nothing!

johnny81 narnia
11/15/19 4:55 pm

Oh fuck off

chance Sirnotappearinginthisfilm
11/15/19 5:06 pm

And you know less than nothing

11/15/19 5:13 pm

Carl you were doing so good at making decent discussions.

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/15/19 5:57 pm

Lol jony you never played!!! You know nothing! Bet you were in the band! Ridiculous!

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/15/19 5:59 pm

Chance, really? I played at the division 1 level in college and I know nothing pussy boy? Shit, I would have popped ur head like a pimple soy boy

chance Sirnotappearinginthisfilm
11/15/19 6:18 pm

Thanks for proving what a worthless drooling Neanderthal you are. Good job.

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/15/19 6:30 pm

Lol! Coming from a soy boy! I take that as a compliment

chance Sirnotappearinginthisfilm
11/15/19 6:49 pm

Yawn, you pathetic little boy, not only are you a brainless moron, but you’re also a very bad liar. How do you survive without serious assistance? Go back to your cave and bang some sticks together, the adults are talking.

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/15/19 6:56 pm

Lol! I make in a week what you make in a year soy boy! Chance? It is by chance you are still alive soy boy! How was the fucking band dick face? You never played the game and you are commenting? You didn’t even play in HS and yet you are commenting? You are a jock sniffer. Take a good whiff shit head! Live through others! Take a good whiff mother fucker! Learn to be a man!

chance Sirnotappearinginthisfilm
11/16/19 2:48 pm

Dude, I can’t tell whether you need less drugs, or more. I’ll say it again, you are not only a liar, but you’re a brainless oaf that knows less than nothing. The fact that you can’t put together a coherent sentence proves it. Time for you to go, worthless loser. Go back to your McDonald’s job and flip them burgers, it’s all you’ll ever amount to.

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/16/19 3:24 pm

Sure chance! Sure!!! What a pussy! “Oh I am going to comment on football, yet I never played!” Be a man or just shut the fuck up! Go back to your video games jock sniffer!

chance Sirnotappearinginthisfilm
11/16/19 3:51 pm

Ok, and you can go back to your boyfriends house, I’m sure he misses you

RonSwansonBully
11/15/19 3:31 pm

The Steelers whole offense should also be suspended

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
11/15/19 2:33 pm

The man got an indefinite suspension

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
11/15/19 2:33 pm

Kiss his ass goodbye

RaidingWinds
11/15/19 3:01 pm

Probably going to be reinstated during the offseason.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 3:20 pm

As punishment he should be traded to the Browns

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/15/19 1:47 pm

Yes, he should. He not only attacked him, he did it with a weapon, his opponent’s own helmet.

Crawdaddy11 LEGEND of FIRSTS
11/15/19 3:04 pm

It was a glancing blow and it wasn’t even intentional looked more like he was trying to swat a mosquito or something and the other dude’s head just got in the way.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/15/19 3:45 pm

Hitting him in the head was obviously intentional.

Crawdaddy11 LEGEND of FIRSTS
11/15/19 4:33 pm

Well he did throw four interceptions so he pry deserved it anyway 🏈🏈🏈🏈

11/15/19 5:15 pm

Nope. If you think that guy should be charged then you should think that the olineman that was stomping on his head at the end should be charged as well.
For the record none of them should be charged. The Browns player is being suspended as he should be.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 5:25 pm

“then you should think that the olineman that was stomping on his head at the end should be charged as well.”

Context matters. Not saying it was right but it was certainly better than what Garrett did

11/15/19 5:42 pm

Kicking a guy in the head while on the ground being held down by another person is better. So you are saying the olineman should not be charged. Kind of a double standard. So let me get this right. Change the scenario it is a road rage thing with motorcycle riders. Guy A rips off guy B helmet and hits him. Three of guy B jump guy A and one of them starts kicking guy A in the head while his helmet on. You are going to say that guy doing the kicking shouldn’t be charged?

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 5:59 pm

“Kicking a guy in the head while on the ground being held down by another person is better”

Did you watch the video? Yes, in that context what pouncey did is better than what Garrett did. You’re the first person I’ve seen to disagree with that

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 6:01 pm

Whether they are charged or not is up to the victim. Garrett is welcome to press charges against pouncey. I hope he does, thatd be hilarious PR

11/15/19 6:13 pm

To be clear I don’t think anyone should be charged.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 7:31 pm

“You can do as much damage stomping/kicking a guy in the head while they are down as you can with swinging a helmet. “

I fully disagree with that. You can kill a man swinging a helmet into the head of a non-helmet wearing person. Kicking a guy in the head with his helmet on is more likely to injure your foot than injure the guy with the helmet on. Could you injure him? Sure. It’s possible. But no where near the same

11/15/19 8:08 pm

With the size of the guy doing the kicking and the position that guy was in you could break the guy on the grounds neck. All I am really saying is be consistent. If you think one guy should be charged don’t you think the both should.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 8:49 pm

I doubt it. And I am being consistent. I don’t think they were on the same level so I don’t think they deserve the same response. Dude I don’t even think Garrett would agree with you lol

11/15/19 9:19 pm

They are on the same level. Both actions outside of the scope of the game would assault correct? But you want to pick and choose what action during the game should be assault and which he’s are not. And that is why charges won’t be filed because all the defense would have to Sonos point out how inconsistent it is

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/16/19 1:54 am

No, swinging a helmet at someone’s skull is not on the same level as someone kicking someone with a helmet on. Sorry they are not in the same universe. One can result in death. The other likely results in a stubbed toe

11/16/19 9:19 am

I disagree stomping on a mans head with the possibility of doing neck damage and is being held down by another person is on par with swinging a helmet at someone that is still advancing at you. And neither are needing to be charged. But we will agree to disagree

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 12:20 pm

Btw did anyone see Pouncey throw Garrett down and curb stomp him? That’s a man you want as your offensive lineman!

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/15/19 4:24 pm

If I was his QB I want that guy in my huddle!

Okie1967 Is Biden self aware
11/15/19 12:14 pm

Lots of violent criminals in the nfl.

Zheeeem Outer Banks
11/15/19 11:18 am

Let’s start prosecuting boxers and MMA fighters too.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
11/15/19 12:08 pm

They volunteered to be beaten.

selfthink
11/15/19 10:40 am

He should have to play the rest of the season without his helmet.

Yes this is sarcasm.

Vigilanti
11/15/19 10:21 am

Haven’t seen it, but based on your description then yes

bnnt Los Angeles
11/15/19 10:19 am

Wow, watching the video no doubt it was assault.

He needs to get a significant ban. No professional player should ever stoop that low and it can’t be normalized as part of the game.

CarlAmeric Bradenton, FL
11/15/19 4:21 pm

Helllloooooooooooo. It is football! 2 game suspension, tops! What pussies! You fucks never played

ConservativeD Libertarian in disguise
11/15/19 10:01 am

I think year ban is sufficient, I kind of look at it similar to this:

youtu.be/Ud83Vs3RyVU

Don’t get me wrong it’s terrible, but in violent games, violence can occur.

....

leader77 California
11/15/19 9:33 am

From the video, his intent was clear. He should be charged

vette
11/15/19 9:21 am

That was WAY outside the scope of the game. Not only a violation of NFL rules, but a violation of law in any state in the country. Hitting a man in the head with a helmet is felonious action and should be dealt with appropriately.

Lbankman
11/15/19 12:11 pm

what about hitting with fist? what if the player has a "black belt"? Hitting with fist isn't within the scope of the game.

From the video it appears the QB attempted to remove the DL's helmet first (unsuccessfully). Do you press criminal charges against the QB? After all, i don't think he was trying to remove the helmet so the Garrett could hear what he had to say to him. lol I would argue he intended to inflict harm to Garrett "outside the scope" of the game.

vette
11/15/19 12:45 pm

Anyone who did anything outside the scope of the game should be suspended and/or fined appropriately. My understanding is fines and suspensions have in fact been levied against others involved. Garrett’s actions, specifically hitting an unprotected players head with the object specifically designed to protect that head is unacceptable. He went way above and beyond. Garrett intentionally swung what at that point was a weapon at another players head. That is a crime. If you can’t see that I can’t help you.

krannapple
11/15/19 9:11 am

Who determines what constitutes “assault” on a football field? The players are arguably assaulting each other on every play. Does any play that isn’t consistent with NFL rules constitute assault?

BTW, I’m not condoning what Myles Garrett did. I personally think it should get him thrown out of the league for life. His conduct wasn’t even slightly acceptable and the consent for that type of conduct must be severe.

krannapple
11/15/19 9:11 am

Consequence, not consent

Stoic89
11/15/19 8:25 am

Go Browns!
Fuck Shitsburg

Kay41 the Midwest
11/15/19 7:59 am

I don't know the answer to this. But, my question then is, should those who fight in the NHL be prosecuted? Fights there happen all the time. It's an interesting thing to think about.

timeout Boston Strong
11/15/19 9:28 am

Excellent point Kay. Fighting in the NHL Is regular happening but this is different bc of the helmet used.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/15/19 11:36 am

That makes sense. What if a hockey stick is used?

nacho1 Logic Land
11/15/19 7:40 am

He is an Antifa hero.
He saw a privileged white guy and years of systematic racism caught up to him and he acted out of instinct - he was triggered by the actions of the white racist QB trying to advance Trumps agenda and so he did what Antifa lefties do - assault with whatever is handy.

krannapple
11/15/19 9:07 am

You sound crazy

maplelee
11/15/19 9:44 am

Not really, ANTIFA would absolutely hit you with a helmet they ripped off your head.

nacho1 Logic Land
11/15/19 9:52 am

I have been conditioned by leftist dogma to view any violence between a black persons and a white person as inherently based on race.

Football used to be an exception to race rules but since we all know the NFL is inherently racist as a group for not hiring the guy who opted out of a multi million dollar contract hoping to get more money while wearing cops are pigs socks - I am forced to conclude it was a racist act.

Imagine if a white linebacker cracked a black QB over the head with a helmet .....

Lbankman
11/15/19 12:14 pm

lmao

i assume this is humor

moldypipes99 I have antibodies already
11/15/19 7:34 am

He should be banished for life. Cannot play in nfl ever again.

timeout Boston Strong
11/15/19 7:12 am

I’ve seen fights before in NFL games, it’s a violent game and things get heated. I’m all for defensive players being aggressive, just asked Ray Lewis, but this was way over the top crazy, I think the player should be suspended for the rest of the year but not criminally charged. Welcome to the NFL.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/15/19 7:02 am

Use local statutes that might address this situation, and apply the law! This is not difficult to find resolution to, UNLESS we are actively seeking ways to NOT address this, as we continue our societal coddling of professional athletes, OR someone fears that they’ll be accused of *bias and/or prejudice!

*AWESOME strategy!...

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
11/15/19 6:44 am

You can’t tell me every player is not out to hurt another player it is a physical game, not for pansies.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
11/15/19 6:18 am

This isn’t exactly described right. Rudolph started the fight because he was mad about the late hit.

Both players should be suspended. No charges.

radar23 Babylon
11/15/19 6:31 am

I agree, the whole story needs to be told.

kcgator Las Vegas
11/15/19 8:53 am

Getting into a fight is no fucking excuse for hitting someone in the head with a helmet. 🙄

RaidingWinds
11/15/19 9:31 am

Garret started the fight with the late hit.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
11/15/19 10:29 am

That doesn’t start a fight. He should have gotten his penalty and been done.

Have you seen the video? It’s not like he attacked him with the helmet. It was in defense.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 2:58 pm

Well that’s not exactly right either. Mason grabbed his helmet but this was after Garrett pile drove him into the ground well
after he didn’t have the ball. Garrett 100% started this fight and mason reacted to that while Garrett was already on top of him. Then Garrett took it to another level.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
11/15/19 4:01 pm

So are we just assuming every late hit is starting a fight?

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
11/15/19 4:42 pm

No, you’d have to look at each hit. Those late hits when the guy is running out of bounds sometimes they just misjudge the speed

But Garrett was running toward mason, saw him get rid of the ball, then proceeded to grab him and take him down. Mason resisted so it didn’t happen right away in which case the DLman usually just lets go but Garrett didn’t. He was dead set on bringing mason to the ground. Probably would have been just short of an ejection from the game just for that, but more likely just a 15 yarder

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
11/15/19 6:05 am

No criminal charges it’s. a tough football game, things happen, shit happens 😱

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
11/15/19 6:09 am

Looks like a good fight😱😂😂😂

RonSwansonBully
11/15/19 5:12 am

Only if the Steelers players that punched him in the face does, oh and watch the video, it’s definitely described wrong.

godonald2020 This User Has Been Banned
11/15/19 5:05 am

This user is currently being ignored

ACEGUY Young Film Writer
11/15/19 7:49 am

Hello fellow follower of Jesus, why should Colin Kaepernick be in jail?

Quinnipiac Here
11/15/19 4:08 am

If he hospitalized him, then sure.

Amaranth Iowa
11/15/19 1:53 am

“Hit him” is pretty broad.

me2nokneez California
11/15/19 1:44 am

Didn’t see it. Sounds like he needs a huge monetary fine, some prison time with a roomie named Mongo. Take his steroids away then about a thousand hours of anger management classes