skinner November 12th, 2019 3:24pm

Bolivian socialist President Evo Morales, who defied a referenda for term limits, recently resigned following protests over his victory in a rigged election. Mexico has given him asylum. Should the OAS sanction Mexico until it extradites Morales?

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/12/19 1:01 pm

I was just gonna ask you do doA poll on this ...I am so pleased.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/12/19 2:20 pm

I read and loved the article and it’s critique of political scientist Francis Fukuyama as too optimistic 😊.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/12/19 2:37 pm

I just finished his “Origins of Political Order” and “Political Order and Political Decay” this summer. This writer might not think he was too optimistic in “The End of History and the Last Man” in 1989 had they read these much later works or even his “Falling Behind: Explaining the Development Gap between Latin America and the United States” way back in 2008.

Still I loved the article and I very much appreciate “your post.” This kinda post (your post) represents SOH at it’s best, it’s very finest, and keeps me coming back.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/12/19 2:39 pm

Also, the writer may we’ll have indeed read them all and feel differently than I do about what it all means 😊.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/12/19 2:40 pm

Oh, and I’d like to see those sanctions. 😊

skinner Jersey City
11/12/19 3:35 pm

Thanks so much Eagle! That’s incredibly nice of you

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/14/19 1:25 pm

Just a truly great plastic period. 😊

chinito Florida
11/12/19 11:10 am

And I hope it serves as a warning to the new socialist president of Mexico. If he tries to pull out something like what Evo Morales did, he is going to end up in jail.

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
11/12/19 10:40 am

Bolivia is an absolute mess right now. All the people who would’ve been next in line to become president have also resigned, and brawls between government supporters and protestors has spilled into the streets. Morales should’ve taken responsibility for his administration’s corruption when he resigned rather than blaming the opposition and adding more fuel to the fire.

Not directly related but kinda interesting: the OAS headquarters are just a few blocks away from my place in DC. The have a fantastic Latin American art gallery there that I really enjoyed seeing last year when I went to check it out.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/12/19 10:28 am

It really depends on the OAS, and I don’t know what the Agreement says. I’m not even sure if the US is a member of it any longer, ergo, we should keep our opinions to ourselves . Particularly since Central and South American states gave us a hand with our little “Shah of Iran” problem.
...

skinner Jersey City
11/12/19 8:26 am

And no, I’m not even entertaining the ludicrous idea that this popular uprising was a coup. This is a victory for Bolivian democracy.

credo Positive Rights Exist
11/12/19 8:56 am

It was a coup. The Bolivian supreme court ruled term limits unconstitutional. And there was no evidence of election rigging. This is the textbook definition of a coup.

skinner Jersey City
11/12/19 10:40 am

The Bolivian Supreme Court is not an independent body. It’s been packed with regime loyalists and its just as subservient to the regime as the Venezuelan Supreme Court.

There was lots of evidence of election irregularities, especially the pause in the vote count. That’s why OAS observers recommended having a redo.

credo Positive Rights Exist
11/12/19 11:10 am

Morales was open to having a redo. They should have gone ahead with that instead of ousting him.

The pause was due to confusion in the media about the way the election works. Not election rigging.

skinner Jersey City
11/12/19 11:48 am

No one ousted him. He resigned because he realized his position was untenable and that in the new and closely scrutinized elections he would have no shot.

That’s a very convenient excuse, especially because that “confusion” led to the race going from a second round vote to an outright victory for the regime. This kind of thing is taught in semi-authoritarian election rigging 101.

credo Positive Rights Exist
11/12/19 12:58 pm

Again, he was willing to hold another election, and that should have gone forward.

I think it's naive to believe he or his family wasn't threatened to force him to step down.