qmastrangelo November 8th, 2019 4:01pm

Do you consider the United States to be on “stolen land?”

KellyDimples NJ
11/11/19 6:09 am

No, they were simply migrant workers willing to do the jobs Native Americans weren't willing to do.

lilmcnuggett Delaware
11/09/19 5:47 pm

My poppop says if you know the culture of the Native American background then you would say yes, because they stole it from other Indians.
His input

TK421
11/09/19 9:06 am

Definitely some aspects of land stealing. Hey, the Trail of Tears ain’t gonna cry itself. Jackson did not fuck around.

STLroberts STL
11/08/19 10:56 pm

This is not an opinion question. Of course this is stolen land. America was built on genocide, first the Native Americans and then on stolen Africans.

TK421
11/09/19 9:04 am

I mean Africans were factually stolen to be a labor force.

Appellplatz77
11/08/19 3:39 pm

This user is currently being ignored

Talren Libertarian Socialist
11/09/19 12:18 pm

Thank you for displaying your racism for all to see.

STLroberts STL
11/09/19 12:31 pm

Wow platz, did you slowly become a piece of shit or were you born that way?

credo Positive Rights Exist
11/08/19 1:45 pm

Sort of, but at some point just about any price of land was stolen from the people who lived there before.

HBNY this space for rent
11/08/19 1:34 pm

Sort of— it’s not like the Native Americans invited the Europeans to settle and colonize the new world.

bnnt Los Angeles
11/08/19 12:30 pm

Anybody that does think “it’s stolen land” obviously doesn’t know the history of the world.

All land was taken and conquered for thousands of years. Even those that were here were either nomadic or fought for control of territories. And there was no state or government that existed with any sort of ownership system.

It’s not stolen, it was claimed and settled.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/08/19 1:25 pm

EXACTLY! I was just saying this the other day. ALL peoples have conquered other peoples throughout history and taken their land. This is no different.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/09/19 9:53 am

I don’t have the brain power to read it this morning and am afraid I’ll lose it later. I glanced over it. Can you quickly sum it up, as to what your point was? Thanks!

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
11/08/19 12:05 pm

All land is stolen land.

Talren Libertarian Socialist
11/08/19 10:25 am

Well yes, obviously. If the US isn’t stolen land then I really don’t know what is.

MrMilkdud
11/08/19 9:49 am

If you do, then you’d have to say the same about all the American Indian’s land before we were here.

skinner Jersey City
11/08/19 9:36 am

Some parts of America may have been stolen from indigenous people centuries ago. While we should regret atrocities committed during our wars with Native Americans, I think this kind of self-flagellation on college campuses is unnecessary. I know my college deans promised that from now on whenever they give a speech, they will always mention that they are on the land of whatever Iroquois nation once existed near my college. It’s as inane as if the French apologized for the conquest of the Gauls and its renders morally opaque the cannibalism, torture, slavery, and other atrocities practiced by many indigenous people.

Tazer Dumpster fire
11/08/19 9:29 am

Every land is conquered.

Zach21 California
11/08/19 9:21 am

With that logic, every continent except for Africa is stolen land.

Talren Libertarian Socialist
11/08/19 10:23 am

Simple migration is obviously not the same thing as treating the people already on that land as subhuman, slaughtering them, and forcing them to relocate.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
11/08/19 9:11 am

Everything is stolen land if you go back far enough in history.

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
11/08/19 9:16 am

Exactly, so it seems to me that there has to be some point at which a nation ceases to be an occupying force in an acquired territory, though the criteria for such a transition obviously depends heavily on the surrounding context.

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
11/08/19 9:02 am

Inspired by a protest that I walked past on my way back from class this morning where a protestor was holding a sign saying “No one is illegal on stolen land.”