HBNY November 7th, 2019 12:29pm

Are you a recovering Catholic? (Wikipedia article attached)

HBNY this space for rent
11/08/19 6:34 am

Wow. The down vote trolls are at it again.

crazyjane New Jersey
11/10/19 6:45 pm

I upvoted lol

HBNY this space for rent
11/10/19 7:04 pm

JPA1960 Illinois
11/08/19 4:17 am

Nope.

Raised as an Agnostic, and a Lutheran as long as I can remember. That’s just what was right for me.

bubba2526 New Jersey
11/08/19 12:42 am

Made confirmation and everything then I started asking questions and thinking logically and basing my opinions off of fact and science and now I can proudly say I am a recovered catholic and an atheist

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
11/07/19 6:11 pm

No. But I’m a recovering evangelical turned catholic.

krayzewolf New Hampshire
11/07/19 10:17 am

Nope. I'm fully recovered.

SticksandStones Proud Prude
11/07/19 7:58 am

No, I wasn't brought up in a very religious household and I only started really practicing Catholicism around 15 years old.

That's the issue with having something integrated into schooling, I think. Children get all edgey and rebellious, plus the nature of school can breed contempt. That, plus bad teachers can lead to kids hating or rejecting something without having any actual understanding of it.

I know many, many peers of mine who went through Catholic grade school and high school and left the faith because of misconceptions about it brought about by bad teaching or simply them being annoyed that it was something they "had" to learn about.

I don't know how I got started on this whole rant and I'm not saying this is the case with everyone. I just kind of went off on a tangent.

SticksandStones Proud Prude
11/07/19 7:58 am

Although the term "recovering Catholic" is one I find really annoying.

historylover
11/07/19 6:49 am

My daughter converted to Catholicism.

historylover
11/07/19 6:52 am

I’m not a Catholic; never have been. One of my grandmothers was a Catholic, and I went to mass with her many times.

HBNY this space for rent
11/07/19 5:32 am

I grew up catholic, but officially joined my mother’s reformer Protestant church in 2009. She was excommunicated in 1988.

After many years of Catholic schooling and religious education being forced upon me, I’d say yes.

Quinnipiac Here
11/07/19 8:02 am

I had a catholic education and it was great. Don’t mistake the exceptional experience for the average one.

HBNY this space for rent
11/07/19 9:12 am

The education was fantastic.

The religious aspect was awful. None of my friends from high school go to church on Sundays.

Quinnipiac Here
11/07/19 10:42 am

well that says more about your friends than it does catholicism as a whole. did you ever consider that you are responsible for your life’s outcomes, and can’t just blame others?

HBNY this space for rent
11/07/19 3:30 pm

I left the Catholic Church to join my mother’s church. Literally no one I know from high school is a practicing Catholic, and that goes for friends and acquaintances. A number of Franciscan brothers from my high school were even involved in sexual misconduct. Maybe that factored into why my HS classmates have turned away from Catholicism.

You don’t know me and you don’t know my life situation. But thank you for your commentary.

Quinnipiac Here
11/07/19 3:40 pm

you’re welcome, any time!