Praetorianus November 7th, 2019 2:00am

Would you trust an obese doctor's advice on how to lose weight?

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/12/19 8:20 pm

Sure doctors and everyone els knows how to loose weight. It’s doing it that key even for them. They are just people too.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
11/07/19 11:12 am

Sure. For two years I’ve had a home gym in my garage. I’ve had a hard time consistently using it for more than a month before a large break without using it occurs. I know that to meet my goals I need to exercise more, eat more, sleep more, drink more water....

...making myself consistently do all those things over a long period of time is another matter.

STEMguy Parties Are The Enemy
11/07/19 8:32 am

That’s like a smoker telling you how to quit.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/07/19 7:31 am

Generally, I would not trust an overweight doctor. It’s kinda the same deal as going to a dentist that has bad teeth.

rons on top of the world MA
11/07/19 6:33 am

Yep, they know why they are fat.

JPA1960 Illinois
11/07/19 4:54 am

Absolutely.

This person’s brain isn’t impacted by their obesity. They can still remember what they learned in their bariatric fellowship and medical school. Just because they find difficulty in it does not mean that I would. So that is that.

historylover
11/07/19 4:21 am

If it made sense, I might try her advice. Losing weight is very hard for most people, especially the keeping it off part.
Do a lot of thin doctors understand overweight people? Empathize with them at all? Give good weight loss advice?

Ebola007 Florida
11/07/19 1:54 am

Would you go to a doctor who had diabetes to treat your diabetes??

FitzDarcy Earth
11/07/19 1:20 am

Lots of different medicines people have to be on cause weight gain.

historyqueen
11/06/19 9:06 pm

It goes back to the old saying...Don’t do as I do, do as I say do.

chickencookie
11/06/19 8:56 pm

One of my internists was....fat. He was a very nice man. I did not see him to lose weight though. One year when I came in for my annual check up there was a notice he had cancer and soon after died. We went to another guy in same practice who we liked even more. He was younger and thin. We saw him for several years until he died in his sleep. We don’t go to that practice anymore.

snagglepuss2 Harmony Bear
11/06/19 8:03 pm

Yes, just because they struggle with their weight doesn’t mean they don’t know how to lose weight. There are several reasons people gain weight. I started gaining weight since peri menopause. I have to really watch what I eat and I wasn’t eating unhealthy.

...

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/06/19 9:07 pm

I've heard there is a rare condition where your body has trouble getting at its fat reserves.
This means if you diet, you'll lose weight but muscle mass! You get weak, including your heart muscle, but the blubber stays.

snagglepuss2 Harmony Bear
11/06/19 9:33 pm

That sounds awful.

Medication, hormones, genetics all play a role.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/06/19 10:54 pm

I often get resistance when I say the average person's weight fluctuations are mostly determined by metabolized caloric intake (not everyone metabolizes equally) vs caloric burn via base metabolism plus activity level. It's thermodynamics.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/06/19 10:56 pm

To put it simply: an elem (eat less, exercise more) diet should work almost always.
Maybe I should patent this "idea" 😁

snagglepuss2 Harmony Bear
11/07/19 9:51 am

I was eating less and still struggling when I first started peri menopause.

Ebola007 Florida
11/06/19 7:25 pm

Sure, why not?

Kay41 the Midwest
11/06/19 7:11 pm

Hmm. It would be really hard for me to see a doctor about weight loss if he were overweight himself. I'd probably seek out another doctor. I'd need to see someone who practiced what they preached.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
11/06/19 7:11 pm

If it’s correct, sure.

HBNY this space for rent
11/06/19 7:05 pm

Yes. It’s none of my business why they’re overweight.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/06/19 7:03 pm

Mostly yes, it's a "do as I say, not do as I do" thing.
Of course it's possible his advice doesn't work but more likely he doesn't stick to it which won't invalidate the regimen he suggests, which also may be tailored for you but not work for him.

katerina13 where I should be
11/06/19 7:01 pm

Sure, just because they can’t do it does mean it wouldn’t work for me.