ctskapski November 6th, 2019 7:49pm

Do you feel Special Education programs are the response to attention disorders such as ADD/ADHD?

FitzDarcy Earth
11/07/19 1:38 am

Of course they are...that's how they started in 1975 for kids with all kinds of disabilities.

historyqueen
11/06/19 8:59 pm

Ctskapski, are you majoring in education?

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/19 9:23 pm

I can't afford an education.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
11/06/19 6:52 pm

Partly.

I think the education system has too many issues they don’t know what to deal with so they moved to the inclusion model.

Unfortunately that has started to slow classrooms down for all the “regular” kids.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/06/19 5:35 pm

No, they were originally for intellectual disabilities, deaf/hard of hearing and blind or low vision. Now they encompass ASD, ADD/ADHD, ED, BD, ODD, TBI and a host of other issues.

.....

imanag My heaven on Earth
11/06/19 4:56 pm

Well, special education was around before ADD & AD/HD were widely recognized. Programs originally started for students with more moderate needs.

The other way to answer the question is that it can be an appropriate intervention for those syndromes. It depends on the severity and how the student is impacted as it regards their ability to learn, impulsivity, focus, etc. Sometimes, when a student has mild ADD, a 504 plan may suffice to help the child access the general education curriculum.

Sorry for the wordiness. I’m a special educator and I have a son with AD/HD.

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/19 5:07 pm

No problem, I appreciate your perspective.

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/19 5:08 pm

What is a 504 plan?

imanag My heaven on Earth
11/06/19 8:23 pm

A 504 plan is a general education intervention for students with medical needs or disabilities. Students can have a 504 for AD/HD, diabetes, being hard of hearing, orthopedic needs, etc. It differs from special education and an IEP (individualized education plan) in that it doesn’t have goals for the student to achieve in a year. It only has accommodations to give a student equal access to a free and appropriate general education. It clears the kiddos way.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/06/19 2:56 pm

"A" response, not the only response.

SoCalGal
11/06/19 2:41 pm

Probably. One of my kids has adhd and learning disabilities. He qualified for special ed and spent his education career in it, with the exception of a few classes in high school.
That said, special ed isn’t perfect. I worked with my son daily, weekends and summers to get him through school.

SnotBubble California
11/06/19 12:53 pm

It depends what is included in the student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP)...

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/19 1:09 pm

Maybe I should re-word. Ought it be the appropriate response in these cases?