LazySteelworker November 6th, 2019 6:19pm

Do you believe that every suicide was/is preventable?

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
11/07/19 6:15 pm

No. There are many factors involved.

Suzan Hawaii
11/06/19 3:41 pm

You need somehow to get that person past that moment. Each person needs to know four words: I need help now!

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/06/19 2:33 pm

I know of at least two assisted suicide when people were at the end stage of cancer. Much more peaceful way to go

PamGH Washington
11/06/19 1:27 pm

Every is a very loaded word. I’d go with nearly all.

SnotBubble California
11/06/19 12:58 pm

Yes. If you chain the person to a tree naked, they won’t be able to kill themselves. And then you leave them there until they realize they have a lot to live for. Problem solved.

Dax Somewhere in Ohio
11/06/19 12:51 pm

Nope, if someone is determined to off them selfs, they will find a way to do it. You can not be a babysitter for the rest of your life.

LazySteelworker USA
11/06/19 11:57 am

I believe that some are and some are not. The ratio being unknown but a high enough percentage of those that are not to prove another working theory that I have.

LazySteelworker USA
11/06/19 11:59 am

That theory being that those that claim to speak for the unborn but always claim they would choose life are factually incorrect.

credo Vote your conscience
11/06/19 11:29 am

No. I've had a cousin and and uncle commit suicide, both were very unexpected. Also, a close friend of my brothers shot himself when his parents cought him with drugs. Nobody even knew he had a gun.

TierasPet
11/06/19 11:20 am

No, I don't. Sadly the people who are most serious about committing suicide don't say a word and give no clues. That is extremely difficult to prevent.

smartfart Florida
11/06/19 11:45 am

That’s not true at all. Not that everyone is preventable, but most people talk about it in some form, especially the most serious.

TierasPet
11/06/19 11:52 am

I would agree that some people do talk about it in some form but not most. Speaking only from what I know, people who truly want to take their own lives already know they shouldn't talk about it because someone will try to stop them. Those who are extremely serious do not want to be stopped and they don't want to talk about it. They are done.

smartfart Florida
11/06/19 12:04 pm

Still not true & very dangerous spreading myths.
Back when I thought I wanted to be a counselor, I was a crisis intervention counselor & dealt with many suicidal people. Many people have these same beliefs, but they aren’t true. Usually, there are plenty of warning signs. Those people who are “done” usually gave off plenty of warning signs (though they may have been subtle) & friends & family did not pick up on them or did not provide the help they were looking for.
www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/support-and-information/worried-about-someone-else/myths-about-suicide/

...

TierasPet
11/06/19 1:29 pm

Thank you for that link. It's great information.