Tony November 6th, 2019 2:33pm

Show of Hands is 10 years old!! πŸŽ‚πŸ₯³ I'm the dude who had a crazy notion to build an app, thought that SOH could be a fun idea, bought a Mac and a Dummies book, and taught myself how to make it happen. Ask me (almost) anything!

DrCarpenter Florence, Italy
11/10/19 9:57 pm

Hey @Tony
I just met Cole12 in Vietnam this week, which was a lot of fun! He said, though, that he hasn’t been using the app because he’s unable to download SOH on his phone (it doesn’t show up in the google play store.) I suggested it was because he doesn’t have an American SIM card anymore. Do you know if that would be the cause?

Dax Somewhere in Ohio
11/07/19 9:56 am

Why did you not answer my questions???

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/06/19 5:52 pm

I got here late, and don’t have a question, but happy 10th birthday to what came from a great idea! Your app has given me a lot of unearned joy over the years. Thanks Tony!

missmorganmarie ...
11/06/19 3:51 pm

Suzan Hawaii
11/06/19 3:45 pm

Thank you.

11/06/19 3:13 pm

Ok folks. This has been fun, but I gotta get back to some other commitments. Apologies if I didn't get to your question!!

political Georgia
11/06/19 3:05 pm

Do you enjoy working for Amazon?

USGovtNPol United States
11/06/19 2:33 pm

When will we be able to make polls with more than two options?

andrewmac32
11/06/19 2:33 pm

can you talk more about how show of hands was built (for a prospective computer science major)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/06/19 2:31 pm

Beavers versus ducks! Who do you root for in the Civil War?

11/06/19 2:40 pm

I'm torn. I've always been more of a ducks fan, but one of my sons now is at OSU. If the Ducks are still in consideration for the BCS playoffs, I'm going to have to quietly root for them. Otherwise, Beavers. πŸ˜€

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/06/19 2:54 pm

Good for him what is his major? We go through Corvallis quite a bit to see my son in Dallas

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/06/19 2:29 pm

Thanks, Tony, and happy birthday, SOH! The best thing about what you did by creating this app is to make it possible for people to become friends who would probably never bother to associate with one another in person. As ticked off as I get on here sometimes, I'll always be grateful for the special people I've met. Wouldn't have happened without you.

Diogenes IgnoranceNoBlissEs
11/06/19 2:28 pm

May Cowboy be reinstated? Some are concerned about his mental health and believe he might be suicidal. Perhaps allowing him back would help. 😬

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/06/19 2:32 pm

Very concerned

Diogenes IgnoranceNoBlissEs
11/06/19 2:25 pm

Happy Birthday, Kudos, and Thanks!!!πŸ•πŸΊπŸ•πŸΊπŸ•πŸΊπŸ•πŸΊπŸΏπŸΏπŸΏπŸŽ‚πŸ†

I’m happy to claim I enjoyed almost the entire decade. πŸ₯³

donald59 Maricopa, AZ
11/06/19 2:24 pm

Have you had a same sex experience?

snagglepuss2 Harmony Bear
11/06/19 1:38 pm

@Tony can you help m get back my old account? I got a new phone and couldn’t log in.

I started this account and can’t send messages.

SOS

...

11/06/19 2:43 pm

I'm not sure I can. I have forwarded other user info to admins to reset passwords recently, with mixed success. I'm not sure why...

snagglepuss2 Harmony Bear
11/06/19 2:57 pm

I sent an email too. Any help would be appreciated.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/06/19 3:58 pm

Let start from the bottom: who are these admins? Transparency as basic as this would be unquestionably helpful as it establishes a chain of command and makes your life easier.

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 1:37 pm

What do you think of cancel culture and everyone getting WOKE?

11/06/19 1:47 pm

Both are ridiculous, IMHO. I think it's good for people to generally be more considerate of others and aware of the impact of their actions, but the preachiness, smugness, and public "shaming" of those that don't comply with your personal moral standards is just as disgusting to me when it comes from "woke" people as it is when it comes from some religious zealots.

JPA1960 Illinois
11/06/19 1:28 pm

Congratulations! 🍾

At what age do you consider someone to be old? Do you read reviews about movies before watching them?

11/06/19 1:32 pm

It's a rolling number that I calculate as (my current age + 25 years). πŸ˜€

Movies...nah I generally just go see what look interesting to me, or what someone I trust recommends...

JPA1960 Illinois
11/06/19 1:35 pm

I like that first idea! Now I don’t feel old. πŸ˜‚

rons on top of the world MA
11/06/19 1:20 pm

I used to watch the youtube meetings I remember Zod and Tom were co-host.
I was on one later.
Boy the years go fast. I learned a lot about people and about me.
Do you still travel?

11/06/19 1:24 pm

Yeah I'm on a plane right now in fact. :)

centexken Republic of Texas
11/06/19 1:18 pm

I wish I could read Tony's replies but my color blindness will not work with that color combination. Maybe a way for the user to change background colors in a future version?

susanr Colorado
11/06/19 1:28 pm

For now, you could copy & paste at least some of them into a text file and read them there.

11/06/19 1:32 pm

Sorry Ken. That makes me feel bad 😞

centexken Republic of Texas
11/07/19 1:19 pm

Susanr, how do you cut and paste someone's reply?

susanr Colorado
11/07/19 2:14 pm

centexken - These instructions are for Apple devices. I don’t know what happens on an Android if that’s what you’re using, but it should be similar. On an iPhone or iPad, tap the comment and hold for a second until you get a popup with options. There seem to be two kinds of popups, so you may get either of them. One will say “Select” and “Select all.” Tap “Select All.” You should see the whole comment (just the text the user wrote, not the user name etc.) highlighted. You should then get a different popup with options “Cut,” “Copy,” “Look Up,” and “Share.” Tap on Copy and you’ve done the copy part.

Sometimes you’ll get the other popup initially. It offers “Cut,” “Copy,” “Replace...”
(more)

susanr Colorado
11/07/19 2:18 pm

You’ll notice that only a word or two is highlighted, with blue dots at the beginning and end of the highlighted text. You’ll need to stretch the highlighted part by touching & holding each of the blue dots (separately) and, holding your finger on the screen, pulling one to the beginning of the text you want to copy, and the other to the end of it. This can be tricky & tedious (you’ll find out why soon, if you haven’t done it before), but keep trying. When you get all the text you want highlighted, tap on “Copy” on that popup. Now you have the text copied.

Then go to somewhere where you can Paste the text. This could be the Apple Notes app, or a word processing app. Put your finger on the screen until you get a popup that offers “Select,” “Select All,” and “Paste.” Tap on “Paste.” The text of the comment you copied should appear.
(more)

susanr Colorado
11/07/19 2:29 pm

If you’re using an external keyboard, it’s easier. Tap on the comment text until you get a popup. Ignore the popup. On the keyboard hold down COMMAND and tap “A.” That should highlight the whole comment text. Then hold down COMMAND and type “C,” which will Copy the text. Then go to your note space, hold down COMMAND and tap “V” to Paste the text.

centexken Republic of Texas
11/08/19 3:54 am

I don't get the pop up when I try to select a message. Must be a difference between Android and iPhone versions of SOH.

CudOfCow Oregon
11/06/19 1:17 pm

Are you selling our data to russian hackers, government psychologists, genetic eugenicists, or any other sketchy invisible force?

tony1987
11/06/19 1:00 pm

How about adding more options. Like if I don’t want to voice to see the current results.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
11/06/19 2:49 pm

I would especially like it if targeted polls could be made visible to people outside the target group, just don’t let people outside the target group vote on them. Also maybe make an option the poll writer could toggle to allow or disallow comments from people outside the target group.

Dax Somewhere in Ohio
11/06/19 12:48 pm

Who is your favorite college and pro football teams??
Do you believe the US landed 12 men on the moon?

alkafelts Texas
11/06/19 12:38 pm

Your profile picture alone makes me want to name my future son after you.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/06/19 12:33 pm

This app has totally changed my life. I join November 25, 2010. God bless you Tony

JackTorS SOH Flounder
11/06/19 12:39 pm

I’d never tell him, but I think Tony did a wonderful thing by creating this app and fostering this great community.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/06/19 2:29 pm

It’ll be our secret

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 12:28 pm

In the next update to the app, can you reset everyone’s ignores so we can connect with old friends?

JackTorS SOH Flounder
11/06/19 12:35 pm

How bout a list of people we have on ignore that we can change ourselves? I think I might have one person on ignore but I can’t remember who it might be. A list we can access and change status would be very helpful.

GrandmaALiCE
11/06/19 12:38 pm

The next update ... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜€

TomM
11/06/19 12:51 pm

Alice, try read further down.

GrandmaALiCE
11/06/19 1:58 pm

I saw that, after I made this comment. 😊

I hope it’s so!

11/06/19 12:30 pm

Don't follow hockey. There was a time when I lived in L.A. and Gretzky was still playing, but that was a lifetime ago.

JackTorS SOH Flounder
11/06/19 12:36 pm

That’s too bad. Don’t know what you’re missing.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/06/19 1:20 pm

The soon-to-be Seattle team should make a hockey fan of him yet.

11/06/19 1:22 pm

You know... That's actually a possibility. I love watching hockey in person, but just don't enjoy it as much on TV...

LazySteelworker USA
11/06/19 11:50 am

I'm just here to say Jeffery Epstein didn't kill himself.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/06/19 11:45 am

How exciting! Can't believe 10 years. Congrats!! πŸŽ‰πŸ₯‚ I have found a lot of friends through this app that I never would have found otherwise and have met 12 of them. Thank you for that.

Question: What is the first thought/feeling/emotion that comes to mind when you think of SOH?

jarod California
11/06/19 11:33 am

Solid choice πŸ‘Œ

anniepoops wisco fever
11/06/19 3:56 pm

@orgblu10 you might like this info from our founder 😎

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/06/19 5:04 pm

Annie - the Man is making a great choice, the future home of Gerrit Cole!

suppressedID Honor RBGs Wish
11/06/19 11:21 am

Great move, @Tony. I’ve been here 8 1/2 of those years, and remember when you couldn’t even post polls (here’s to be being better than the Dummies book).

You’ve given me a place to rant where I can keep up friendships and not get fired for delving into taboo topics.

Too bad you’re not still in Beaverton, we could grab a beer with @Squidboy

Happy Birthday my friend. πŸŽ‚

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/06/19 11:50 am

Hey man.....once @Tony left the hood....I had no reason to stick around. I no longer live in Washington County! I blame the all powerful Tony!

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/06/19 11:10 am

Can you trace a person’s IP address to show I’m a lone user and not a troll like some users have claimed? I would love to be vindicated of that accusation.

Oh and Mazel Tov. This really took off in less than 10 years. I learn something new everyday on here. Thanks for creating it.

......

......

11/06/19 11:18 am

VPNs make IPs tough to trace reliably. The only bulletproof way to avoid being accused of being a troll is to not act like a troll. :)

presrvd Phoenix
11/06/19 5:22 pm

I don’t think he was accusing you, RT. He was just making a generalized statement for all to see,....in his response to you....

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/06/19 5:43 pm

Oh. I was sort of thinking maybe I wasn’t really welcome or something.

presrvd Phoenix
11/06/19 6:19 pm

Nah, from what I’ve observed, you speak your mind without really being disrespectful, which I generally find refreshing, considering your age. You are a model citizen on this app.

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
11/06/19 11:02 am

Did you take a day off of work for this poll? A ama from a regular user is one thing. A Tony ama is a whole other beast!!

Thanks for making this app and for still caring about it Tony!! Knowing that you’re working on it more than before give me hope. I’m one who doesn’t care too much about bug fixes. It’s the community that makes me yearn for the app’s glory days.

11/06/19 11:03 am

I'm actually on a plane flying from NYC to Seattle right now. πŸ˜€

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
11/06/19 11:13 am

Lol. Figured there had to be a block of time you were trying to fill!!! Enjoy your flight. Yay for wifi on planes 😁

bnnt Los Angeles
11/06/19 10:56 am

Been here for 9 years - more than any other “social” media I’ve ever used.

It does need some type of monetization beyond patron to pay the bills, maybe some add-on’s or verifiable positioning among polls themselves. Either way, I can tell this is a labor of love project and it is appreciated Tony!

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 10:54 am

What is your favorite part of the Trump administration?

TomM
11/06/19 11:13 am

That we know it has an end date.

11/06/19 11:17 am

The anarchist in me likes watching the shit show 🍿. And there are a few things on the policy side that I can get behind. But generally, I don't see much to like about his leadership style, ego, and lack of ability to be remotely Presidential most of the time. I find him to be embarrassing as our head of state, even while I enjoy watching him flip the bird to some of the arrogant "establishment" and biased broadcast media. It would be nice to have a centrist leader who wasn't a misogynist, narcissist (maybe not possible in a prez?), Twitter ranter, habitual liar, and debt-exploder. I don't know if it's possible in this day and age, but it'd be amazing to see someone like Bush Sr. or even 2nd term Bill (with Gingrich and co. keeping things in balance).

jarod California
11/06/19 11:23 am

Would you vote for him over any Democratic candidate?

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 11:26 am

So I guess you’re giving up on that whole “registered Independent” farce, huh? πŸ€”

11/06/19 11:26 am

No. Given the current batch on both sides, I will probably just write in my own name as a protest vote. I always do the same when I see any candidate running unopposed. One of these days I'm going to accidentally win an election for a water district commissioner.

11/06/19 11:27 am

What farce, Scotty?

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 11:38 am

You just went on a biased rant describing this amazing man as a “πŸ’© show” who is “embarrassing”, “misogynist”, “narcissist” and a “habitual liar” and admit you would never vote for him. Gee, did you ever describe Obama this way who was the Boy KING πŸ‘‘ of Narcissism by talking about himself constantly and lied left and right about keeping your plan, premiums going down and so on? You’re a classic tech lib, thank you for not hiding it any longer.

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 11:51 am

Can you believe this @political @kscott516 and @Nemacyst ?

Not to mention “debt-exploder” Obama who added more debt in two terms than all other previous Presidents COMBINED! Not a peep from Tony!

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
11/06/19 12:01 pm

This user is currently being ignored

political Georgia
11/06/19 12:16 pm

I can get along with people who have different viewpoints than I do. I like Tony. He’s witty, smart, funny, and just overall fun to talk on SOH with. I was immature at one point and gave him some unneeded trouble to deal with at one time. I have grown tired of politics despite my name. A lot of my polls now are related to financial stuff now.

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 12:25 pm

Tony’s a great guy for sure despite the grief I give him from time to time and you know it’s just a little light trolling my friend. 😎 And I understand running a polling app he has to put on this aura of objectivity even though his bias is easy to spot. But wow did he just throw all that away in his rant against the President. I would expect this from @Zod or @Squidboy or any of the other cookie cutter leftists on this app but man he just went strait up Young Turks with that one, Chunk Yogurt would be proud!

11/06/19 12:28 pm

You guys are something else. I wasn't a fan of a bunch of Obama policies (e.g. Obama care, bailouts) and was critical of them as well at the time. But while I didn't support a lot of his politics (or his similarly inflated ego and propensity to stretch the truth), I usually felt like he respected the office and tried to carry himself with class. I'm kind of on the other side with Trump...I agree with many policies but don't respect his character. I try to separate the policies from the person and look at each without party bias, vs viewing the world through pure party-lines and selectively turning a blind eye to bad behavior. If you're proud of President Trump's behavior, more power to ya, We can agree to disagree. FWIW, I didn't vote for either Trump or Clinton in 2016, as I didn't find either of them to be people of integrity, and that matters to me as much as the specific policies that they promote.

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 12:39 pm

I for one LOVE Trump’s personality and style. The one thing I do genuinely admire about elected Democrats is they are street fighters, they go down and dirty and fight to the death for what they believe in. Republicans try to be gentleman scholars who are above the fray and give up far too easily. Trump is just like those Democrats I admire, you attack him and he hits back and then doubles, triples and quadruples down. And unlike previous RINOs who promise conservatism only to then “cross the aisle” to let Dems win, Trump is actually implementing what he promised. Trade deals, tax cuts, The Wall, getting out of this climate scam, it’s great!

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/06/19 12:41 pm

“I will probably just write in my own name as a protest vote.”

You heard it here first folks, Tony for President! You have my vote and endorsement lol

credo Vote your conscience
11/06/19 1:21 pm

Scotty wow that's interesting. My view of the two parties is completely reversed as I see the republicans as relentless street fighters and the dems as being way to soft and agreeable.

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 1:30 pm

Then with all due respect you need to pay better attention because Democrats don’t have Never Obamas like Republicans have Never Trumpers and they don’t have versions of John Captured McCain and Mutt Romney who just LOVE to cross the aisle, work with Democrats and criticize President Trump.

kscott516 Show Time
11/06/19 3:26 pm

Yeah, I can believe it. Many people are still fast asleep at the wheel and don’t realize they’ve been played for decades, including those you might think are intelligent. I don’t really blame him for having those thoughts, but it’s choice to continue living in the lie. I pray he and most others wake up from their brainwashing and help their country and the world take back the power.

credo Vote your conscience
11/06/19 4:05 pm

We do have people that cross the isle way to often for my liking. Joe manchin should be drummed out of the party imo. And those who would have been "never obamaists " ( the problems some of us have with him are policy based, where the problems never trumpets have are all about personality) are pretty much in the green party. We did have "never clintonists though, and I was one of them.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/06/19 10:46 am

Been here for 9 of those 10 years. The amount of time I've spent here is insane, but I've enjoyed it. I've called it my favorite "gsme" app for a long time. Thank you Tony.

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/19 10:46 am

Usage of the app seems to have declined after the inclusion of more social features around 2013.

Do you feel this was a result of those inclusions, or some other factor?

If another factor, what do you believe was the cause?

Regardless of past usage, I joined in 2016 and am still here. Thanks for creating the app.

Congratulations on its 10th year and on having created what I feel to be an overall informative polling platform.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
11/06/19 10:38 am

HBD to SOH! And thanks for all you do, Tony.

thedman Free Kyle Rittenhouse
11/06/19 10:23 am

Do you answer a lot of polls in “the tap” or just watch others?

11/06/19 10:34 am

Neither. I occasionally look at it for polls that I want to feature, but that's it.

Quinnipiac Here
11/06/19 10:22 am

Why do you do this to yourself? I fully acknowledge that we should be shut down, I wouldn’t even be mad.

11/06/19 10:37 am

Lol. At this point I keep it going because I feel a sense of responsibility to the people that have come to rely on the app as a place to connect with others. I also enjoy seeing poll results (even though I've gotten freakishly good at predicting them), and hope to inject some new energy into the community with the next update...

thedman Free Kyle Rittenhouse
11/06/19 10:20 am

Have you taken the political compass test, and, if so, in which quadrant are you? (Authoritarian right or left, libertarian right or left, or centrist)?

11/06/19 10:40 am

I have. I don't remember exactly, but I was pretty central on both axes IIRC. Generally speaking, I'm a small government live-and-let-live kinda guy, perhaps with a bit more compassion and fewer guns than some on the further end of the libertarian spectrum.

SnotBubble California
11/06/19 10:15 am

How does SOH make money?

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/06/19 10:36 am

Drug money obvi

11/06/19 10:41 am

Out of pocket. Imagine your cell bill, times 20.

SnotBubble California
11/06/19 10:43 am

I imagine. You should be making some money off of us some how!

11/06/19 10:44 am

It'd even be nice to break even. :-)

gonzoboy Arizona
11/06/19 10:45 am

THAT is love!

SnotBubble California
11/06/19 10:49 am

Start a Patreon page. It would bring a lot more users to the app too.

ScottyDoesNo Arbeit macht frei
11/06/19 10:52 am

I’d happily pay but Tony did away with that ability a while ago. Bring it back!

SnotBubble California
11/06/19 11:05 am

It fact, just post your address here and we will all send you some cash.

11/06/19 12:33 pm

Maybe I'll throw up a patreon page to help take the edge off the hosting bills...

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/06/19 8:49 pm

I made a poll about this earlier today, around 50% of people said they’d be willing to pitch in a few dollars. Just a thought!

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/06/19 10:08 am

Congratulations πŸΎπŸŽ‰ 🎊 actually that’s an amazing story continued good fortune to you and yours.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/06/19 10:04 am

Congrats on 10 years....it only feels like 10 weeks. Would you be willing to support the end of cephalopod genocide & ban calamari as a food source?

presrvd Phoenix
11/06/19 5:27 pm

I’ll double my intake to negate Tony’s commitment....

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/06/19 6:49 pm

Noooooooooooo πŸ˜±πŸ¦‘

gonzoboy Arizona
11/07/19 8:16 am

"I have no plans to call on you Squidboy, the world’s more interesting with you in it." (in my best Hannibal Lecter impersonation).

Meanwhile, at a table in my favorite seafood restaurant...

"Yes, I’ll have my usual!" (A double order of Calamari, with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc!)

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/07/19 8:45 am

The Last Supper!

hfhgsrjjdf
11/06/19 10:03 am

Hi Tony! Congrats on this app! I remember first being introduced to it during the 2012 election. I made an account an lost it. Came back in 2014 and started commenting in 2016, and it became so much better. Not only did I form community, but there were several very late nights of debates. About to go to sleep, and then another notification goes off πŸ˜‚. I’ve invited two friends to this app, and personally met the sibling of another user on accident.

If I could get this question answered, that would be great.

Is the data from our votes or comments being collected somewhere? It deeply concerns me, because there are things I regret. I really hope that a few stupid things I’ve said in the past won’t affect future opportunity for me.

hfhgsrjjdf
11/06/19 10:04 am

Oh, and Happy Birthday SoH!! πŸŽ‚πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰

11/06/19 10:20 am

It all sits in a secure database, but it's anonymized and not being used for anything other than powering the app.

Ebola007 Florida
11/06/19 9:52 am

Thanks for SOH @Tony!

Ebola007 Florida
11/06/19 10:26 am

1) Thanks for your help with the user that doxed me.
2) Please consider reinstating cowboy.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
11/06/19 9:49 am

πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‚πŸŽHAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!πŸŽπŸŽ‚πŸŽ‰

Thanks for SOH, @Tony ! I have made some wonderful friends & connections here!!!

KellyDimples NJ
11/06/19 9:48 am

As someone who hasn't been here since the beginning, I'd like to say thank you for having a great idea for an app. Even though there are parts of the app that are just broken, and other frustrating things, and some people I could do without (they have been ignored), it is the only app besides Candy Crush that I find myself using every single day. I've tried other polling apps, and they're just not the same. No questions, just a thank you.

snagglepuss2 Harmony Bear
11/06/19 9:47 am

Happy Birthday SOH! πŸŽ‰

I am thankful for the friendships I’ve made on this app.

Have you made lasting friendships through this app?

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
11/06/19 9:45 am

@Tony Thanks for the app. Why haven’t you solved world peace, global warming and come up with a solid answer for why the earth is round? πŸ˜‚ I jest. Thanks for keeping it going. I’d have no way to be in touch with some of the coolest people as they only do the anonymous thing.