KellyDimples November 6th, 2019 2:12pm

Yesterday in my town, there was a person running unopposed for 1 remaining year created by a vacancy of a 3 year term. Only 25% of the total people voting bothered to cast a vote for this person. Would you cast a vote even if it was the only choice?

credo Vote your conscience
11/07/19 7:42 pm

I would if I knew that I liked the person. If I didn't like them or didn't know anything about them i would vote.

FitzDarcy Earth
11/07/19 1:56 am

Yes I do that I don't know why

theNobamist Silicon Valley
11/06/19 11:40 am

Great opportunity for a write-in campaign

rons on top of the world MA
11/06/19 8:51 am

I had the same situation for the school board. Three people unopposed. I voted for them. Tough job.

KellyDimples NJ
11/06/19 8:56 am

This was for school board. Yes, write-ins are available, there were a total of 3 for this position.
This was for school board, the only reason I was looking is because my husband was running, so I was looking at the webpage with the results. It seemed odd to me that there were over 2,800 votes cast for the 3 year positions, but only 800 cast for the 1 year position.

KellyDimples NJ
11/06/19 9:31 am

I thought it was odd, but I'm just not sure if that's the norm or not. If I'm already in the booth and the ballot says 'choose one' and there is only one to choose from, I click the box. I wouldn't not vote for the person, unless I had a specific problem with the person. I wouldn't have been surprised if some people didn't bother to cast the vote, figuring it made no difference, but not close to 3/4 of the people.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/06/19 11:49 am

I agree with your synopsis, Kelly. I would vote for them unless I had something against them because if enough people don’t vote for them, some other person that I do NOT agree with could win a write in vote.

In AL, we don’t have booths or switches, though! 😂🤣😂

GrandmaALiCE
11/06/19 7:02 pm

I never bother to vote for candidates who are unopposed.

youallarewrong
11/06/19 11:01 pm

I agree why bother

KellyDimples NJ
11/07/19 5:22 am

Is it really that much of a bother to push one more button, or whatever voting method your state uses? You're already there. It takes just as much effort to ignore it.

GrandmaALiCE
11/07/19 8:05 am

I always vote absentee. I guess I used the wrong word, “bother.” No, it wouldn’t be a lot of work to make those extra marks. But, it won’t change the result.

Somebody here talked about write-in candidates. I’m not sure if our ballots have a place for write-in candidates. (I’ll look next time.) However, in all my years of voting, I’ve never heard of a write-in candidate winning!

GrandmaALiCE
11/07/19 11:02 am

Also, I don’t know about where you live, but we tend to have a bunch of unopposed candidates, not just one on the whole ballot.

Ebola007 Florida
11/06/19 7:20 am

If I supported the person I would but if I didn’t probably not.

historylover